Small prayer request

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BedroomHowitzer
Levergunner 1.0

Small prayer request

Post by BedroomHowitzer »

I am spending 5 months away from my wife and daughter (20 months old). It is military related, so it's not my choice. My wife and I haven't spent more than a week apart from each other in almost 4 years of marriage. It is already tough, as I am missing my wife and daughter very much right now and this is only the second night. I know we will make it through this just fine, but I hate looking at 5 months from this point of view. I wouldn't mind it so much if I was looking at 5 months from the 4 months already gone, perspective. I have plenty to keep me busy with work, physical exercise, and contemplating trying to learn a second language, but where I am at, there is no wireless so no iphone facetime, and skype doesn't work almost at all on this wired network, both of which have made previous away times, regardless of how short, very manageable. Anywho, thanks for the prayers.

Adam
Non veniam in noctem nec tacitus. - I will not go quietly into the night
Pro God, Pro Gun, Pro Life.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Small prayer request

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Prayers up for sure! Hang in there. Thank you for your service!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:( Five months is easy....keep your chins up, Man 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Yes Sir! What they said......
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I know how you feel... I used to work away from home a good bit. No more.

Better times will come and will be made all the sweeter by this separation.

Thank you very much for your service and your sacrifice!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Done.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Done.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote::( Five months is easy....keep your chins up, Man 8)
listen to BlaineG he knows firsthand the sacrifice you're making...you can do it...prayers sent...blessings... :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

30wcf wrote:
BlaineG wrote::( Five months is easy....keep your chins up, Man 8)
listen to BlaineG he knows firsthand the sacrifice you're making...you can do it...prayers sent...blessings... :)
:oops: I've done nothing compared to those that have truly sacrificed. :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

+1 Blaine.

"back when I was your age" we did 8 month WestPac deployments. Of course, we hit many hotspots and legendary fleshpots from Japan on down to Singapore and up & around into Bangkok. Party Time !! My shipmates and I did 2 of those.

And Al Gore hadn't yet invented the internet. Cell phones ?? yeh, right. GPS ?? you've got to be kidding. Computers ?? get real. Back then pencil, paper, envelopes, and postage stamps were relatively new inventions.

What I learned: the time passes surprisingly quickly. And if you're real lucky, you'll forge some friendships that will last a lifetime and then some.

You'll do just fine.

Cheers,

Carl
retired Navy Seabee (and occasional shipdriver)
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

Prayers - YES

It can be done. My wife of 45 years spent 35 of them as an Army wife following me around the world. She spent much of the time without me close at hand. When we got our Apache's it was 14 to 18 hr days - never saw the kids awake (maybe one day a week).

Her hardest time was when I left for Korea for a year leaving her in Colorado with four teenagers.

Prayers - YES!
CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

By the Way - entering the Army wasn't my choice - Drafted during Viet Nam.

Staying in was my choice - they let me go to flight school right from the reception station at Ft Campbell. Then the Maintenance Officer Course and my Career was pretty well set.

My wife was a real trooper. In flight school I got merits from her spitshining my off-day boots.

I am thankfull every day in prayer for her support!!
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

When I was playing around in the jungle in SE Asia a tour of duty was 15 months, quite a few stayed for 18. Later on it went to 12. Now I'm not saying that you should not miss your family. It is hard, but after a while one day sort of runs into another and time passes. Keep your head into what you are doing. It can be dangerous out there. Focus.
Last edited by stepmac on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks for your service and your families sacrifice. Prayers up for you all. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Praying for you and your wife. One day at a time. Also Thank you for your service!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I get it. Such separations can be tough on marriages. So can 16+ hour days when you show up every evening to hit the rack and maybe eat dinner. The first 3 years my SECOND wife and I were married I was home 1 year in total. Still married after 27 years and now we're both retired. This is tough on us having to be together so much.. :wink: :lol: Hang in there.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Prayers up.

Got a question for folks with more recent service than mine. About the shortest permanent change of station one could get then was a year. There were TDY's but they were usually for only a month or so at the most. Now the question, are 5 and 6 month deployments the norm these days?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I know what yur going through. Prayers sent. Every day down is one day closer.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

In WWII, the tour was "duration + one month", or so my Uncle told me....I did two years unaccompanied in Panama....prolly led to my divorce, which was probably not a bad thing....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Prayers up. It's hard on you both. You'll make it. Put pen to paper and send it snail mail.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I remember having to deploy on short notice and my bride being stuck state-side with two kids in diapers, and then I was gone so long one time my daughter cried when I came home because she wasn't sure who I was and got scared. I think in '85 I might have been home all of 2 months and I never even left CONUS. Thank the Lord for base housing and direct-deposit.

Prayers up for you and your loved ones.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

jeepnik wrote: (snipped) Got a question for folks with more recent service than mine. About the shortest permanent change of station one could get then was a year. There were TDY's but they were usually for only a month or so at the most. Now the question, are 5 and 6 month deployments the norm these days?

The Air Force has short tours to Afghanistan - my son leaves next week and returns the end of May.

The Army likes 12 month tours.
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

Of all of the issues that we had to deal with during the VN War, Dear John letters were some of the worst. There was just no way to consol a man whose wife had just told him to take a leap. Especially when his affection for his wife/family were his saving grace when things got tough. During the VN front line soldiers were young and not particularily emotionally mature. One of our "lessons learned" while studying that war was to keep young soldiers back and send in the veterans first. Then the Clinton administration cut the Army in half....brilliant.

Wives should consider themselves as soldiers too, because they actually are. Their spouse, who is in harms way, is deeper in harms way, without the support of their wife/husband.

My rant, when we fight wars we should fight them to win. We are about to lose this one just like we lost the last and for the same reasons. We tried to learn from our failures in Vietnam, but apparently no one was listening.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

You and her will be fine. Write her good old fashioned letters. They are personal - seeing the other person's handwriting is comforting. Include photos from home and from wherever you are at. Those vows are a done deal - 100 %. Some of us blokes don't do emotions too well but now is the time to write you love someone daily.

Prayers and God bless.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It gets easier after a few weeks also (or at least it always did for me). Hang in there and YES - prayers up!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

Even when communication got better through the years - I made a habbit of writing something to my wife everyday - I only mailed once a week. Mail from combat areas often takes a long time - the problem is usually solved before your response gets there.

NOW with email - it is much easier. Skype and other messaging programs let you talk and see one another daily. When you go out on an exercise - that kind of communication will be limited - but you should rotate back to base on occasion.

My year in Iraq was the easiest of my years away - as far as being able to communicate.

Success to you!!
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Prayer sent for you and your family.

Dave B
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Been other places, done that, prayers up. Thank you for your service.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
BedroomHowitzer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BedroomHowitzer »

thanks for all the prayers guys. I am not in harms way. Right now, I am not deployable. I am in technical training, or re-training as the case is with me. Moved into a new career field and had to go back through their school. But I am 12 hours away so it's enough that I may only get to see my family once during the next 5 months. I will write some old fashioned letters (are they really that old? up until about 8 years ago, I used to write them all the time....weird...). Anyways, I do appreciate it. I am trying to find stuff to keep me busy. This weekend me and a couple classmates are headed to a PBR rodeo here in town, and then to Dallas for a Ruth's Chris steak (I hear they are fantastic), but there is no beating being home.
Non veniam in noctem nec tacitus. - I will not go quietly into the night
Pro God, Pro Gun, Pro Life.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Keep your chin up I am heading out this summer for 7. Havent deployed in awhile myself looking forward to it truth be told. Think of the up side its a good chance to sock away so gun money :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

gcburt wrote:
jeepnik wrote: (snipped) Got a question for folks with more recent service than mine. About the shortest permanent change of station one could get then was a year. There were TDY's but they were usually for only a month or so at the most. Now the question, are 5 and 6 month deployments the norm these days?

The Air Force has short tours to Afghanistan - my son leaves next week and returns the end of May.

The Army likes 12 month tours.
Marine Corps does 7 for the most part.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis