DD 214

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

DD 214

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Re: DD 214

Post by Mac in Mo »

Is that something local or something available to all vets?

Kevin
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Another perc, available in many municipalities, is a Veteran's Discount applied to property or motor vehicle taxes assessed by said municipality, upon application & presentation of the DD214.

Some municipalities in my state, ILO offering a direct discount of property tax, instead freeze property taxes at the time of application.

Mine happens to be a $1K discount off the tax itself, not off the assessed value of the property.

Yet others only offer percs to war veterans - aka, those whose time was served during an "official" war/conflict, like 'Nam, etc.

No one will positively know about their own municipality, as it regards to them, unless they physically go to the Tax Assessor & ask/apply - since the perc isn't generally advertised & YMMV.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Huh. I had no idea. Especially the property tax thing which will become highly useful since I'm purchasing my first home. Does the card do anything special besides plug you in for discounts? Get you into USO locations, allow you on base, etc etc?

Trying to find Phoenix's method of recording this stuff but so far have a big ol' goose egg.

[edit] I just found out that I can use a DD214 to obtain a CCW here in AZ, sans class. Mind. Blown. :o
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I registered mine at the county courthouse back in '76 when I got out. No perks as far as I know, no discounts, no card, and certainly no pass on the CCW class.

I only registered mine because the VA guy told me I needed to.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've never heard of this.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is applicable to some states. However, I think that recording it at the courthouse provides a back-up record just in case the military records are lost as they were in 1970-something fire for about a million veterans.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

AZCCW.COM wrote:E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:

6. Has ever satisfactorily completed a firearms safety training program authorized by the department of public safety pursuant to subsection N, paragraph 1 of this section or has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:

(c)An original or a copy of a United States department of defense form 214 (dd-214) indicating an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions, a certificate of completion of basic training or any other document demonstrating proof of the applicant's current or former service in the United States armed forces as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section.

Source
That's. Just. Awesome.
Last edited by Panzercat on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Panzercat wrote:
AZCCW.COM wrote:E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:

6. Has ever satisfactorily completed a firearms safety training program authorized by the department of public safety pursuant to subsection N, paragraph 1 of this section or has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:

(c) An original or a copy of a United States department of defense form 214 (dd-214) indicating an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions, a certificate of completion of basic training or any other document demonstrating proof of the applicant's current or former service in the United States armed forces as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section.

Source
That's. Just. Awesome.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Hard to beleive some vets have not recorded their DD214's, but used to run into it all the time when I was a Realtor. It is not a big deal, fellers. Go to the county courthouse. Ask for directions to the County Recorder's Office. Go there, tell them you want to record your 214. They will do it and not charge you anything. This way, there is always a legal record of the 214 and a place where you can go and get certified true copies for any purpose that requires them. This way, in case you lose your original, it is not a big deal.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Panzercat wrote:[edit] I just found out that I can use a DD214 to obtain a CCW here in AZ, sans class. Mind. Blown. :o
It's good for a 10% discount at Lowe's also. (I think an American Legion or VFW card will work also.) :)

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

CAVEAT: be real careful when recording your DD 214. It contains personally identifiable information such as date and place of birth, and in some cases, social security number, etc.

In some states/ localities, a recorded DD214 is considered to be a matter of public record and a copy will be provided upon request.

A few years ago, the local newspaper here an article about an identity theft ring requesting and receiving copies of DD 214's, then using the information to open up charge accounts, obtain loans, driver's licenses, etc.

Check before it is recorded!
Last edited by Ray Newman on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Griff wrote:
Panzercat wrote:

(c) An original or a copy of a United States department of defense form 214 (dd-214) indicating an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions, a certificate of completion of basic training or any other document demonstrating proof of the applicant's current or former service in the United States armed forces as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section.

Source
That's. Just. Awesome.
+1
+2!!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

just found mine, and my records file, right before Christmas.=

maybe i will go check on this!
cable
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Check before it is recorded!

Ditto. Your S.S.N. is on there and more than enough personal information.

Sad to say.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Don't know if it's still so, but back when I bought my house (1979) you could apply for a Cal-Vet loan. Basically the same thing as a VA loan. In my case, I was able to get both and it allowed me to buy much more house than I could rightly afford. That turned out to be one of my smarter moves.

But, other that a vets preference when applying for government jobs, that's about all you get in this state.

Oh, there was one other benefit. When buying a handgun you didn't need to pass any sort of safe handling test. Sadly, they changed that so that only retired military are exempt, and I wouldn't be suprised if that's not on it's way out.

One thing I wonder about, once it's recorded, does it become public record. Seems I started to get all the vet discount thow away mail after I got my loans, and it hasn't stopped. Sheesh, you's think these companies would take a hint after thirty odd years.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Mine went through the fire in Saint Louis back in the 1970's that Hobie mentioned.A couple of years ago my son got a copy from the Army records people,one page that was burned on all edges but still could read most of it. I do have a DD214 now in the gun safe.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Ray Newman wrote:CAVEAT: be real careful when recording your DD 214. It contains personally identifiable information such as date and place of birth, and in some cases, social security number, etc. In some states/ localities, a recorded DD214 is considered to be a matter of public record and a copy will be provided upon request.

A few years ago, the local newspaper here an article about an identity theft ring requesting and receiving copies of DD 214's, then using the information to open up charge accounts, obtain loans, driver's licenses, etc. Check before it is recorded!
And another thing that has me rethinking this, CCW appears to be a matter of public record these days, with morons publicity outting gun owners and politicians angling for every angle they can get their hands on.

A CCW puts you on that radar and let's be honest, there's minimal reason to own one in AZ anyway. I guess the reciporicty of other states is the main, but public record makes you a target. I'll have to check on that with them directly.
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

When I got back for the last time in '74 all I got were dirty looks and an occasional gob of spit. I recall interviewing in a high rise in San Francisco. The interviewer, a blond who had spent much too much in the sun kept asking, "But what can you do?" I had been an attack pilot for five years. I told her that she had no idea who guys like me were capable of. She just looked to one side and smirked. I'm still a bit bitter, but that was then and this is now. I'm retired and doing fine, great actually. I collect lever action rifles and shoot them along with Parker shotguns. Life, as they say, is good.