In praise of the Ruger Mini-14...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

In praise of the Ruger Mini-14...

Post by AJMD429 »

OK, I had lusted for a Ruger SR-556 "gas piston" .223 semiauto...

Pricey though, so every time my gun-budget got enough funds, I got some other item (a levergun for me, or a CCW LCP for my daughter, etc.). Still, I kept lusting for the Ruger version of the AR-15, partly because it was "a Ruger" and partly because it was "gas piston", even though the traditional gas-into-action AR-15's do just fine for most heavy combat work, let alone the occasional 'ranch' or 'target' use I put mine to. In addition, I realize that the Ruger would not likely have all the advantages of 'generic' parts applicable to the gas-tube AR's we are all familiar with.

So now come events which will likely make obtaining one unlikely. :(

However - I just realized, I DO HAVE A RUGER 'GAS-PISTON' .223 SEMIAUTO. . . . :mrgreen:

It's called a "Mini-14", and my particular version is a stainless "Ranch Rifle" with a threaded muzzle just like all the AR-15's out there. My Trek suppressor fits it just fine, and it's still LOUD, but at least not to the point of permanent hearing-loss if I shoot it without muffs.

It can be had in a version very similar to the above...

...or a more 'traditional' version like mine, that is functionally equivalent...

...or a version that won't allow a suppressor, but looks almost old-fashioned...

...and is available even with the dreaded 'high-capacity' magazines... :roll:

All of them are basically scaled-down versions of the venerable M1A.

It has all the advantages of the 'gas-piston' design, including cleaner receiver/action, and no problem with various power-levels of loads, as the 'excess' gas doesn't blow back into the receiver like the AR-15's. No - it is NOT as accurate as my AR-15, with its match-grade trigger, heavy bull-barrel, and high-axis scope (for maximum PBR). My AR-15 can keep five shots in 1/2" at 100 yards IF I manage to do my part, whereas the Ruger Mini-14 will keep five shots in 3-4" no matter how steady I hold it.

However much I'd like the Ruger SR-556 for the excellent machining and worksmanship and potential accuracy, combined with the 'combat' utility of a gas-piston design, I realized I already have all that except the match-grade accuracy, in my humble Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.

Anyway, those of you who are lucky enough to have a Mini-14, don't be sad about not getting that 'gas-piston AR' you always wanted, because you basically have a M1A, scaled down to fire the .223 Remington cartridge... 8)
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: In praise of the Ruger Mini-14...

Post by GonnePhishin »

Yes Doc,
It is a most reliable machine.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Actually, the Mini-14 is more of an upgrade to the M1 Carbine than a decendant of the M14 or M1A.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Let's try posting politics in politics and gun and other topics in the general discussion forum.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Point of order, actually what your picture is of is a *standard* capacity magazine. I will never cede that point to the anti-gunners.

Now if only I can figure out how to reach into the tee wee and Jethro Gibbs slap all the talking heads that keep talking about "clips".

Back on topic. You've got it right, the Ruger Mini in its various states of dress is a darn fine little carbine. You can be tacti-cool with all the add-on AR accessories (you don't really need in the first place) or stick with a plain Jane mini.

When I was playing deputy, I wouldn't have had a problem with one as a patrol rifle. A sgt's car I used on a regular basis on weekends, that's what he had in the trunk.

One I've got now has the Choate (remember them?) black and stainless folding stock. Folded, easy to fire if you want to play A-team. Unfolded, more than reasonably accurate if you're having two legged critter issues out to 200M.

The AR v. Mini-14 crowd issues is like the Harley and the adventure dual sport motorcycle crowd. Harley guys look down on the dual sports with the luggage racks and the dual sport riders don't really care, we're out having fun.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I've been shooting a Mini-14 for over 10 years ...... I needed something ".223" and that was the way to go. I installed a Nikon Monarch 4x40 scope. Great fun for putting tons of lead downrange.

A while back I added one of these. Don't know if it helps accuracy, but it can't hurt .....
http://www.sunflowerammo.com/Mo-Rod-4-B ... -Rod-4.htm

Cheers,

Carl
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

" My AR-15 can keep five shots in 1/2" at 100 yards IF I manage to do my part, whereas the Ruger Mini-14 will keep five shots in 3-4" no matter how steady I hold it. "

Send the Mini to these guys if you want little groups.

http://accuracyriflesystems3.homestead.com/
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Had a Mini-14 When I started in the State police and after a year of shooting it and not getting the accuracy I thought I need sold it and carried a HK 93A3 for 12 years in the car with me.
Like the Mini but and have been told the newer ones are much more accurate but don’t have the need anymore.
It is not the critic who counts
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

FWiedner wrote:Actually, the Mini-14 is more of an upgrade to the M1 Carbine than a decendant of the M14 or M1A.

If a person does a side by side quick glance, this is absolutely the impression, however it's not true.

"History

The Mini-14 was first introduced in 1974 by Ruger. The name Mini-14 is derived from the military M14 rifle implying a miniature version of the M14. Ruger used the M14 as a model for the new rifle while incorporating numerous innovations and cost-saving engineering changes. The Mini-14 proved popular with small-game hunters, ranchers, law enforcement, security personnel and target shooters."

Though the M1A is a better built rifle, the Mini-14 is absolutely a scaled down version (thus the Mini name). Not perfect to scale, but close enough to be a designed after smaller caliber/model.
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

I actually liked each of the Mini-14s I used to have, but all save one suffered from mediocre accuracy... and I grew to dislike not being able to clean from the breech. Other than that, I have a much friendlier feeling towards them than I do an AR or AK or (insert other initials here) because the Minis seem so much more compact - though not always lighter - and point better for me.

My last Mini was an early production all-weather Ranch rifle, and it was a very handy carbine; the new ones have a far better set of iron sights, and supposedly a bit better potential accuracy.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Trained with the mini For over twenty years and am now on my second one (shouldn't have sold the first) I've found that my mini has a preference for the heavier bullets 68 or 69 grain even thought it will get the job done with 55s.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Mom and I bought a Sainless one for my Dad around 1983. It recently sailed with him from Lake Erie all the way to Trinidad and back to Florida. Picked up a few small pits but everything rusts down there.

I bought a stainless Ranch rifle about 4 months ago and have yet to shoot it! :oops:
Gonna have to fix that!

I had one of the factory folders but I got it cheap and sold it for some bigger dollars. Should have kept that one!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I just wish they were accurate.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

They are, but just not to the degree some people think they should be.

Face it, we're spoiled. If a rifle is not getting one MOA at a hundred yards we feel like sending it back.

Unless you're trying for head shots at a hundred yards, what's downrange isn't going to care if you're shooting 1 MOA or 3 MOA.

Mini-14 has plenty enough functional accuracy to work with.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Mini 30 that works quite well for my purposes. It is accurate enough to do what I want, and it has never failed to function properly.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

BUT the SR556 is made by Ruger so it's gotta be awesome....... An SR556 in .300 AAC would be the perfect battle carbine and the M1A/M14 is the best battle rifle. Proof that you have to have one of each.
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

44magHunter wrote:BUT the SR556 is made by Ruger so it's gotta be awesome....... An SR556 in .300 AAC would be the perfect battle carbine...
I'd disagree with this remark except that I'm not really sure about access to and interchangability of parts in the field.

Ruger seems to favor their own proprietary parts even with regard to magazines for many of their arms.

Last thing a guy needs in a gun he's taking to war is a gun that's hard to find repair parts for, except maybe a gun that's hard to find ammo for.

If parts are easy to come by, I think I agree.

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:I just wish they were accurate.
Someone earlier posted the "Accuracy Rifle Systems" website - and they do make the Mini's into tack-drivers, though it makes them cost about $300 more.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Up here we are restricted with the AR style black rifle. The little Ruger is one we can use as a hunting rifle. I have considered one, maybe the Mini-30. We are also restricted to 5 shot magazines for autoloader centerfires.

I just can't justify it over my 32 Special 94 with our restrictions.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Canuck Bob wrote:Up here we are restricted with the AR style black rifle. The little Ruger is one we can use as a hunting rifle. I have considered one, maybe the Mini-30. We are also restricted to 5 shot magazines for autoloader centerfires.

I just can't justify it over my 32 Special 94 with our restrictions.
Bob, I hope that's not something we have to get used to. After Zero gets done with the 2nd, we may have to move north to find a little freedom and liberty.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

FWiedner wrote:Actually, the Mini-14 is more of an upgrade to the M1 Carbine than a decendant of the M14 or M1A. :)
Agreed. The original was pretty much the same size as the M1 Carbine but chambered for the more spunky .223/5.56mm NATO round, but nowadays they've been bulked up (as has the AR-15) with heavier barrels. The new ones probably shoot a bit better than the old ones (not as good as an AR though) but my old one will shoot 1.5" three shot groups with match grade ammo and light bullets.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

olyinaz wrote:
FWiedner wrote:Actually, the Mini-14 is more of an upgrade to the M1 Carbine than a decendant of the M14 or M1A. :)
Agreed. The original was pretty much the same size as the M1 Carbine but chambered for the more spunky .223/5.56mm NATO round, but nowadays they've been bulked up (as has the AR-15) with heavier barrels. The new ones probably shoot a bit better than the old ones (not as good as an AR though) but my old one will shoot 1.5" three shot groups with match grade ammo and light bullets.

Oly
I've got one of the older ones also, and frankly, I've never had a complaint about the accuracy. I figure it shoots about the same as yours, probably 1.5" at 100yds.

I know it's plenty tight enough to pop a jack-rabbit like a balloon out at about 100yds, and I once dropped a coyote that was thought he was sneaky out at about 250yds.

Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

With my early issue Mini-14 and Mini-30 I had 2"-3" at a hundred yards depending on ammo. Not bad and both accounted for a bunch of coyote and deer. I sold em both back some years when I needed money for another project. Couple of years ago I picked up a new blued Mini-14 with the improved barrel. With a Leupold 3-9 on high I can shoot 1" at a hundred with 5 shots and do it all day. Occasionally I get a flyer but I call it and on a calm day I can get a 7/8" 5 shot group. Not bad out of the box. At the time, I paid $629 out the door with a single 20 round and a 5 round mag. I hear they may have gone up a bit since then. Quite happy with mine.