The Rifleman

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

The Rifleman

Post by rjohns94 »

I belong to Vongo, an online site where you can down load movies right on to your computer and watch them. They don't have real recent stuff as a general rule but they do have a whole section on westerns which is why I decided to sign up for it. In this section of selections, The Rifleman series is there to download. I think there are 168 different shows. I've downloaded this week the first 10 and watched one or two each night. I had forgotten the Christian values that were built into each episode. Last night, there was 5mins of discussion on a great rendition of the story of JOB. Did me good to listen to a show that openly discussed the bible as a reference to live by. I mean not to offend any one here, but it just suited me well. Anyway, I am enjoying Lucas righting wrongs and using his levergun to do so. Kinda looking forward to tonights viewings. Got me thinking I may need a truck rifle!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is interesting to me that you feel a need to apologize...
I mean not to offend any one here, but it just suited me well.
when more than 80% of the country is Christian. That's not criticizing you, I'm just noting that we've been well indoctrinated.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Cherokee
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Cherokee »

This country needs all the good Christian values it can get.
God Bless America
NRA Endowment
TSRA Life
SASS
USAR
Ruger & Marlin Accumulator
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Not sure everyone here is of a Christian background. I didn't want to exclude anyone nor offend where I didn't mean to. though 80% of the country is "Christian", many in the pulpit don't believe the bible is true or relevent to today, don't believe that Christ is the only way to salvation, and feel abortion and gay rights are not in conflict with a strong moral code. I don't want to, or nor will I, argue with those that believe that. I come from a strong evangelical background and the show did well for me. I see Oprah has started a course on line which says that those who believe as I do, aren't yet enlightened to the true way we should act and that Christ is not the only way to salvation. I stand opposed to her and her following if that is the case.

I quote from a blog:

Subject: [yhsatalk] Beware: Oprah's "A New Earth"

I haven't seen anything posted anywhere, but since we all have neighbors, family and friends who watch Oprah, I just wanted to make everyone aware. Now for those of you that know me...you know that I don't make waves about much of anything, but I hope that this e-mail can/will be used for God's Glory to warn believers.

This week Oprah began, after much commercial hype and Hollywood support, her very first internet class, based on a new age spirituality book by Ekhart Tolle called "A New Earth". It is supposed to run for 13 weeks going chapter by chapter through the book. It will include live questions and interaction from viewers all over the world. Curious, at what the now unstoppable media queen was peddling, I downloaded the first webcast that was aired this Monday night. Within the first 30 minutes, Oprah stated emphatically that Jesus was not the only way to heaven and almost in the same breath, claimed that promoting and teaching this book, was God's purpose for her. To a few christian callers who were having trouble with the teachings of the book, she told them that they had not truly "awakened" yet, and that they needed to give themselves time to rid their minds of conditioned thought processes from the church. The jaw dropping moment for me (not that those weren't bad enough), was that both Oprah and the author were using Jesus and quoting scripture to defend their points. Tolle at one point stated that Jesus's teachings had been misunderstood, and then proceeded to explain what he felt Jesus "really meant". The whole conversaton/webcast was such a non-threatening exchange, with participants blindly nodding in agreement (allthough you need your psych 101 book to decode all of the ego and consciousness talk) I was dumbfounded. Oprah.com is claiming that over 700,000 people signed up and participated in her class.

To be completely honest, I've have never felt so scared or been so aware of Satan and spiritual warfare, as I was, just watching a brief portion of Monday's webcast. Not to be too dramatic, but the image that kept popping into my head was the image of the Antichrist in Revelation. So smooth, cunning, seemingly innocent, speaking "truth", twisting God's word as only Satan can. My Mom, my grandmother, my cousin, both of my sisters-in-law, my mother in law, all are avid Oprah fans, none are believers, but all are searchers. Sharing the gospel with them was already difficult, now Satan has upped the ante.

Now at first I thought I was being paranoid, because I couldn't find anything in the online Christian commuinty denouncing what I saw. But I found this on Crosswalk tonight. I feel better knowing that my concerns were not all in my head... I have never been a book burner, but this one is terrifying. For me, I guess, it is like the wolf in sheep's clothing, or an old horror movie where you are screaming at the character to run the other way!! With Oprah putting her foot into the political arena, supporting Barrak Obama, I can't even imagine, nor am I sure I want to, where we are headed as a country.

http://www.crosswalk.com/spirituallife/women/11569798/

I hope this helpful to someone.

Your sister in Christ,
Sandy Zamalis

yes, I think it is strange I felt compelled to apologize for talking about Christian values. I have no problem doing so, just don't want to start a thread that would get out of hand due to some hurt feelings.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

And there you are!!!! :D :D :D
John
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Very Spooky Mike! :? Not suprising, but very sobering. Thanks for the heads up....gonna look into this some more. Also, thanks for relating the Rifleman info. I'd like to see some of those....we only seemed to get "The Big Valley" growing up.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

"Oprah stated emphatically that Jesus was not the only way to heaven"

John 14:6
King James Bible

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Oprah is a liar.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Love the "Rifleman". Starz/Encore has it on the Western Channel. I set my TVO to record all episodes. They show about 12 episodes per week.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

One of the main reasons that I am here is the fact that there are so many christians here. I regularly write back and forth with some here about the Old King James 1611 Bible and the truth that is in it.It is not hard to see where our great nation is headed now. Praise God for what we do have, a good bible and fine old lever guns.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I'd rank The Rifleman as one of the top ten shows of all time.....
at least in my book.....great values....always a good lesson
for Mark.....and me
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Rifleman

Post by Hillbilly »

I have almost weaned my step kids (7 and 13) off electronics since we got them full time. The older one had full time, in room TV at the other parents... not here.

Good news... after a few months both are starting to sit down at 6pm central to watch Ol Lucas and Mark on Dish 342...they are asking for it and I couldnt be happier... cant remember the verse...so I will paraphrase.. bad asociations spoils useful habits"

Oprah. She has a lot of clout. I wouldnt be suprised if she starts some kind of cultish religion soon...sounds like she's leaning that way with this new project. I hope she doesnt turn into some CT Russell (founder of what became the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society late 1800's) or some clone of L Ron Hubbard
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oprah might be largely responsible for handing the nation "President Obama"... :shock:

I started on one of my personal goals for 2008 last night - reading the Bible cover to cover. I'm not apologizing to anyone for it! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jay, Good luck on your goal.
Mike Johnson,

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Ysable, I have been doing that and it feels great to be blessed by Him for it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I just tried to go to vongo for a look but I can't cause I dont live in the US.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

A couple of thoughts on the issue at hand..

1) Rifleman was a great series in a different and better time in America.

2) "To be completely honest, I've have never felt so scared or been so aware of Satan and spiritual warfare, as I was, just watching a brief portion of Monday's webcast"

Never be afraid or scared of Satan. He is a defeated enemy relegated to working through trick and influence. He only has the power we allow him to have. "Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world."

Those who fear Satan only feed his power over them.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

JerryB wrote:One of the main reasons that I am here is the fact that there are so many christians here. I regularly write back and forth with some here about the Old King James 1611 Bible and the truth that is in it.It is not hard to see where our great nation is headed now. Praise God for what we do have, a good bible and fine old lever guns.
+1!!! I realize all are not, but many are, and ya'll have been a blessing to me as well.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

C. Cash wrote:
JerryB wrote:One of the main reasons that I am here is the fact that there are so many christians here. I regularly write back and forth with some here about the Old King James 1611 Bible and the truth that is in it.It is not hard to see where our great nation is headed now. Praise God for what we do have, a good bible and fine old lever guns.
+1!!! I realize all are not, but many are, and ya'll have been a blessing to me as well.
+2 :)

Most of the old TV shows and westerns we grew up with taught solid Christian values, and were in many ways morality tales. That is not not true today, and one need only look around to see the fruit of the seeds being sewn! In fact, those values and behaviors are mocked and ridiculed in the popular culture.

Teach your children well.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Charles wrote:A couple of thoughts on the issue at hand..

1) Rifleman was a great series in a different and better time in America.

2) "To be completely honest, I've have never felt so scared or been so aware of Satan and spiritual warfare, as I was, just watching a brief portion of Monday's webcast"

Never be afraid or scared of Satan. He is a defeated enemy relegated to working through trick and influence. He only has the power we allow him to have. "Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world."

Those who fear Satan only feed his power over them.
Thanks Charles...

BTW, I love "The Rifleman" for just those reasons.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

I just bought the whole 16 dvd SET!!

Post by cvarcher »

I couldnt get it on ENCW 357 so I decided to buy it and Im glad I did. I dont care what religion you are the values Lucas preaches to his son Mark and others in the show apply to all human beings. Did I mention how I fondle my B92 alot :lol: !!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Mike, I got news for ya. Under the Constitution, you have the right, without fear, to espouse your Christian beliefs. On the other hand, there is NO right, under the Constitution, for others to be protected from being offended, by ANYTHING, let alone someone expressing their Christian beliefs. We, as Christians, need to suck it up, & STAND UP, PUBLICLY, for our religious beliefs, in the marketplace of ideas in this country, where we, as others, have the right under the Constitution, to express our beliefs, & let individuals either accept, or reject, what we say. The prevailing wind is to supress us.......we must counter, with all we have at our disposal, this attempt at supression. jd45
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

jd45 wrote:Mike, I got news for ya. Under the Constitution, you have the right, without fear, to espouse your Christian beliefs. On the other hand, there is NO right, under the Constitution, for others to be protected from being offended, by ANYTHING, let alone someone expressing their Christian beliefs. We, as Christians, need to suck it up, & STAND UP, PUBLICLY, for our religious beliefs, in the marketplace of ideas in this country, where we, as others, have the right under the Constitution, to express our beliefs, & let individuals either accept, or reject, what we say. The prevailing wind is to supress us.......we must counter, with all we have at our disposal, this attempt at supression. jd45
So, my only question is, does this all apply to people of other religious backgrounds, too?
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

IF you'd've taken the time to READ my post, where it says ""as others", you'd 've realized I was talking about EVERYONE'S rights to express their beliefs under the Constitution. What kinda fu8king commie subversive are you anyway??? jd45
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

jd45 wrote:What kinda fu8king commie subversive are you anyway??? jd45
Hey jd45: Go jump in a lake. Who the heck are you to accuse ME of being a commie? You know NOTHING about me. And, apparently, you know nothing about being a Christian, either.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

What I'm accusing you of is not READING, DELIBERATELY, of what I wrote about EVERYONE having the right to express their beliefs, whatever they may be, under the Constitution. Your question accused me of denying other people of the right to express their beliefs, whether religious or otherwise, which is a deliberate LIE on your part, hence me calling you a fu*king commie subversive..............typical of you bastards. DEAL WITH IT!!!! jd45
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A fine way to end a good talk about the chrisian men here.
I won't be on this one again.

jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

It's your choice, Jerry, but I think you need to go back & re-read the text, before you make your final decision. jd45
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

ursavis.elemensis, my apologies to you in particular, and to everyone on this thread, for the language I used. jd45