New 1886 33 wcf with VERY interesting letter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

New 1886 33 wcf with VERY interesting letter

Post by 71fan »

I also posted this on the WACA forum to see what the guys over there think, so if you've already seen this, sorry!!

I received this serial search from Cody for a rifle I just bought. It is very interesting and indicates a return to the factory inventory 8 years after it was first shipped. Then it was reconfigured twice, and apparently sold as new again. The biggest mystery is why the second configuration only lasted a few months, and apparently never left the warehouse. Here is the sheet. It's a little hard to read, so I typed it below.

Originally: rifle, 40/70, octagon, plain trigger, shipped 5-24-1894
Other Remarks: Takedown;
Returned 1-8-1902 #128967;
6-16-1903 #189317;
Back in warehouse 6-19-1903 as Rifle - 50 Express - 1/2 Octagon - Plain trigger - 24 inches - Takedown - Nickel steel - shotgun butt;
Returned 6-29-1903 #190330;
Back in warehouse 10-8-1903 as rifle - 33 cal - round barrel - plain trigger - takedown - 1/2 magazine - shotgun butt, rubber butt plate; shipped 10-9-1903 #204774

So it is a bit of a mystery what transpired and why. But more interesting to me is that I have an 1894 mfg and shipped 1886 that correctly letters as a 33 wcf, considering the round wasn't developed until 1902.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions regarding:
Where was it for eight years - in a shop unsold?
Why a 50 EX for only 10 days? Or was it 4 months? But never shipped.
The rifle does NOT have the black powder "hump" in the receiver that an 88xxx receiver should have. I wonder if the receiver was switched out or re-milled?

When I get it (next Tuesday) I'll post some pictures. It has been reblued and had the butt cut and a pad added, so it's a shooter for sure, but with a unique history.
Chad
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Neato!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

perhaps someone wanted to have several barrels to use with the same reciever? possible perhaps. very interesting rifle though. It being a 40-70 and a 50 Express which are 2 of the rarest calibers. good history.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

win40-82 wrote:perhaps someone wanted to have several barrels to use with the same reciever? possible perhaps. very interesting rifle though. It being a 40-70 and a 50 Express which are 2 of the rarest calibers. good history.
That was what first came to mind for me. Wow, just think of that! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

neat gun, but that is a mystery!
cable
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Possibly a salesman sample, sent back after a few years Factory did a refinish & caliber change, to .50 cal.. but also keep in mind that .50 oftentimes requires modification to the frame. Then 33's became pouplar, Winchester switched out the frame to a smokeless frame, but kept the lower tang.

Mike Hunter
www.Hunterrestorations.com