Bore Guide

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alamogunr
Levergunner

Bore Guide

Post by alamogunr »

My lever collection has expanded to the point that I need to modify my cleaning procedures. Up to now I have been cleaning from the muzzle and being very careful to try to guide the rod so it doesn't contact the bore at the muzzle. Not always successful. My collection ranges from Win 94's, , replica 92's and Marlin's to Browning/Win 95 and 71. Calibers range from .30 to .45. Although I've never done it, I believe the bolt can be removed from the Marlin, but for a quick swab of the bore, I had rather not. What do others use to protect the muzzle of their levers?
Advanced Levergunner

muzzle guides

Post by 1886 »

J. Dewey Manufacturing Co. makes great, caliber specific muzzle guides. You can buy them through Midway USA. Cost is about $7.00/ea plus shipping. Consider the least damaging cleaning rod you can find. Midway also has a great selection of cleaning rods as well. I prefer the Tipton brand that is made of carbon fiber. Try to avoid the one size fits all approach, if you can afford it, when buying these products. More harm is done to barrels through improper cleaning. Remember to clean your rods, brushes, mops,etc. when finished. I like rubbing alcohol and store them in a clean environment. One side note, when buying from Midway you can read customer reviews on these products. Very informative and you can also read what other products customers purchased when buying items you are considering. Best of Luck. 1886. Midwayusa.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Why not use a Bore Snake/Otis? Most simple "quick swab" there is and you don't have to disasemble.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bore snakes ............. :roll: they just slither their way through the bore, can't shoot 'em, can't eat 'em :lol: .

I've been using a segmented cleaning rod sold by KleanBore along with one of their cone shaped muzzle protectors for about, oh lets say 20 years now.

Not one messed up muzzle, not one worn barrel to note. I don't pamper the rods and wash their little selves before tucking them in for the night either. I just wipe them down and toss them in the drawer of my cleaning equipment box.

Me thinks a lot of folks suffer from OCD.

Joe
Advanced Levergunner

muzzle guide

Post by 1886 »

If one was to imply that I am compulsive well that would be correct but it never hurt me none. In fact I should build guns for a living if I only knew how... Have Fun.... 1886.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Early on I wrapped electrical tape around my rods. I have separate ones for .357 and .308. So nothing has touched my muzzles. I think the muzzle guides still slop around, if there was a better designed one I would use it.

This won't work for .22 caliber, just have to be careful. But my .22 is a Marlin 39 so it's easy enough to break down. I don't clean it that often anymore! Some have said .22's don't need to be cleaned very often.

For shotgun I use a wooden dowel stick. Works fine. I used one on a rifle as a test. You just position the patch so it's centered as you push it in and it will go through. Seems to clean better than regular rods because it's a tighter fit.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

For cleaning .22 Lever actions here is what I recently did.

My wife bought me one of them universal cleaning kits. Has rods for 17 cal, .22 and up cal, and shot guns.

I took the 17 cal rod, drilled the head out of a fired 17HMR case, and used that for a muzzle guide/protector. Works great. Now I don't HAVE to take my 9422 apart every time I clean the thing. Just when it really neads it.

Other than my snide remark you guys didn't read my previous post at all did you?

Joe
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

I use ~ a 2" section of a plastic drinking straw. It stays on the rod until it gets ragged. It costs zilch and you get about 4 per straw.

PS to Joe: OCD has ruined many good muzzles.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

PS to Joe: OCD has ruined many good muzzles.
Yep, it sure has.

Joe