Barnes X Bullet, Nosler Partition & Speer 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Barnes X Bullet, Nosler Partition & Speer 45-70

Post by 86er »

Based on a bunch of information on this forum here and there I was lead to believe the all copper bullets are longer than their composite cousins in the same weight.

Today some customers were loading "on the spot" to try different 45-70 loads on some cull bison. I was not there but I got a call with information and results.

Apparently, the 300 grain X bullet is the same length at the Winchester PP and slightly shorter than the Speer 300 gr. I guess the "longer" thing is a myth about all copper bullets.

All bullets were loaded at 1880 fps according to whatever manual they were using. In spite of that, they used the same exact load for all the bullets.

The bison weighed on average 850 pounds with the heaviest at 930. All shots were broadside behind the shoulder and all 50 yards or less. These boys were living in thick brush and grass, and I heard one shot was from about 18 feet!

All the bullets completely passed through, in fact exactly three of each. As is pretty typical, none of the bison had much of an initial reaction to the lung shot. The customers had single shot rifles but loaded fast and put a second one in within a few seconds of the first. All of the third rounds were after the bison settled down and a close stalk was completed.

The exit wounds on the Winchester PP was slightly larger and more oval than the X bullet or the Speer. The other two were very similar. The wound channel was nearly identical for all the bullets, with the Winchester making a little more meat damage. The only thing hard struck by these bullets was ribs.

First, I thought the X Bullets were stronger and had somewhat more of a terminal effect than jacketed bullets. Second, I didn't realize the Speer was put together strong enough for an animal that big. Lastly, this is my first observation of the Winchester Nosler Partition doing what it is supposed to on an animal. While limited, I have been disappointed watching that bullet from 45-70 on antelope, deer and elk - however the experience was limited to a handful of shots. I guess the 300 gr Partition gets another fair shake from me.

Someone may find this information useful when making a bullet selection.

www.TARSporting.com
45-70
Levergunner

Post by 45-70 »

Thanks for the info with the buff for the PP & JHP bullets.

I use the Nosler 300 PP as my go-to bullet for big game out of my custom Marlin 1895GS. My handloads with RL-7 get about 2,150-2,200fps MV and penetrate well at about 24" with good expansion. In my opnion, this bullet is the perefect design for out to 150-200 yards with my Marlin, but most shots have been under 100. This rifle has been to Africa twice.

The Sierra & Hornady 300 JHP's is my "cheap" bullets for messing around, but both do well when kept a bit slower @ 1,900-2,000fps out of the Marlin. Good deer loads.

I use the Barnes TSX 180 gr. BT as my go-to bullet in handloads for my Ruger M77 in 300WSM, works great at the higher velocities.
"I came into the world to do the will of my Father, because my Father sent me..." Jesus Christ.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've been using the 300gr Nosler exclusively in all my .45-70's, since it was first introduced with complete satisfaction, no matter what the game was.

I was won over, after a few misses, using a rainbow trajectory 405gr factory load. :(
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nice post. Thanks!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Nice post and good review. GREAT information to take to the loading bench.

Thanks.