450 Alaskan Model 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

450 Alaskan Model 71

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I havn't got the rifle yet, but I did receive my reloading dies and loaded rounds today. The dies are RCBS and look to be in good shape.

The ammo, almost two boxes, are of course reloads, they look pretty good too. Normally, I wouldn't trust someone else's reloads unless I knew them pretty well. But I recond I will put my safety glass on and torch one off, when I get the rifle. I may break one round down and weigh the powder, and the bullet, of course I won't know what kind of powder it is, but the weigh might give me a clue.

Apparently, this rifle will cycle over length shells. We will see. I found some specs on the 450 Alaskan and as best I can tell the shoulder is in exactly the right place and the brass looks to be trimmed correctly, but the overall cartridge length is .220 over. According to my specs OAL should be 2.550 but these rounds measure 2.770 All measurements are taken from the inside of the flange, as shown on the spec diagram.

I have read that the Model 71 was a little sensitive to large variations in OAL, or sometimes even minor variations. I guess I will know when I get the rifle. I was told the bullets looked to be a 400 gr. Barnes. These bullets have a pretty long taper to them, not nearly as blunt as most 45/70 bullets I am familiar with. So that would explain the longer over all length, without trimming the brass shorter then spec.

I think I will go pull a bullet and weigh it. :wink:
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I am back again. The bullet weights 349gr. I pulled the bullet with a pair of pliers so I might have scratched a grain off of it. So we have a 350gr. bullet behind 66 grains of a long cylinderical powder for a slightly compressed load. So, I would guess these bullets are literally loaded for bear. I figure it's a near max load, I mean you're just not going to get much more powder in these cases. The powder looks like IMR 3031 to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if the bullet is a Speer 350gr Flatnose.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I believe that's a reasonably stiff load in 3031. Just guessing of course ... not necessarily 3031.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I had some 3031 IMR and some IMR4064 and I believe it's IMR3031. I guess it could be something else.

So, I think I have found my load. In the book "Cartridges of the World" it shows a loading of 67gr. of IMR3031 behind a 350gr bullet. But it also shows a 400gr bullet being pushed by 67 gr. of IMR4064 and a 500gr. bullet being pushed by 66 gr. of IMR4064.

But when comparing the powder I pulled from the case, it looks closer to IMR 3031 which seems to be slightly longer grained then 4064 but they are both close. I have always gotten pretty good result with IMR3031 in my 350 Remington mag so I think I will try it in this round.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I believe that's a reasonably stiff load in 3031. Just guessing of course ... not necessarily 3031.

Yes, It would be pretty close to max. The previous owner of this gun wasn't fooling around. He had that thing loaded for a stopper. According to the seller, the old man who kept this gun until he died, did make it to Alaska for at least one hunt, and he was the original owner of the gun, at least from the time it was converted. I wonder if he bagged a Browny with it? Too bad guns can't talk.