Early 2000s Miroku 1886 gets 1908 parts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Early 2000s Miroku 1886 gets 1908 parts

Post by Mike D. »

I originally posted this with a lame title, so decided to say it like it is. I had some 1886 parts from a 1908 .33 rifle lying about so decided to put them to the ultimate test. Would they swap right into a modern Miruku Extra Lightweight 1886? I tore down the Miroku and discarded the bolt, lower tang with crummy spring and fork and the Browning hammer. It had no fly so would not work with the flat mainspring. I pinned the bolt to the Miroku lever, reassembled the mechanical parts and cycled the action. Perfect, so far. Next was the lower tang and flat mainspring. Holding the spring in place while placing the hammer fly into the slot took some patience, but it was really just getting used to holding three parts at once. Next I had to use all of my not so considerable strength to hold the hammer down and stick a slave pin into the hammer screw hole. Getting the hammer screw in was a bit of a bear. Slowly was the key word. Whack it with a plastic hammer while using the temporary pint to move the parts around and help align the screw. Finally it was through and tightened temporarily in case something wasn't right with the situation. Luckily, it worked as intended. The action cycles smoothly and the positive sound of the hammer being drawn back against the tight mainspring is as John Browning and Winchester intended. True and beautiful half cock that is totally positive. The final test was to insert a primed case into the chamber and drop the hammer on it. Pop, just right, and the case ejected halfway across the garage when the action was opened. You can see the difference in color of the old used parts. Not to worry, though, they are in excellent condition. The lower tang has serial number 14455X, but that's OK by me.:)

This rifle has been a test in progress almost from the day I got it. First to go was the infernal sliding safety and rebounding hammer. Then a full magazine was put on it, too. All of this has been discussed in long past posts. Not much left to do but put the original bent lever that's also in a bag here, but a vintage PGSGB stock has to be located first. Here are a few more photos of the finished product, sans stock that has to be modified to fit the old style lower tang. The bolt holes are the same, it's just the block on the tang that the stock needs to be fit to. Shouldn't take too long with a dremel tool and some wood gouges. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Early 2000s Miroku 1886 gets 1908 parts

Post by hfcable »

that is darn interesting. i have been wondering about that very thing.
thanks for being the pioneer!
cable
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Thanks, cable. The poor gun is getting more beat up from all the "surgery" and not hunting. It will get out soon, I'll corral the .45-90 for a while. The Mauser and the .45-70 will do next week. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Very nice Mike!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Mike have you tried this place for parts:
http://www.gun-parts.com/winchesterstocks/
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I get them from a Winchester parts guy I know. Not a dealer, just a occasional seller.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Mike D., I really liked the transformation of your 1886. Wish I had an 1886 to play with but they all seem to $$$$ Then stupid me , I passed on a miroku 1886 td delux that was 1100.00 :(
You will get that one working and looking like what you want. Thanks for the thread.
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
1894c

Post by 1894c »

that's very cool...really like this tread...good info... :)
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I finally completed fully inletting the Miroku stock to accept the original 1886 lower tang and put the gun back together a few minutes ago. All is good, I just have some tape marks to clean up and a little wood vacuuming and the gun can go back to it's place with the others.

Of course we all know that the top tang fits because the receiver remained Miroku.

The original lower tang is a tiny fraction shorter than the Miroku one, but the screws lined up perfectly. An original top tang screw needed to be used so that the lower tang threads would line up and tighten. All in perfect alignment. :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I love it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Looks great Mike! Nice upgrade.

Do you know if the 71 and 86 levers interchange? I have a Winchester 71 I'd like to straight grip. I may have asked before, but dont recall if they work inside the gun. Do the Browning parts, like a lever, work in older Winchesters?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The 86 levers should work on a 71. The internal parts won't swap, especially the locking bars because the originals are slightly canted. I have both 1886 and 71 levers in the garage and I will compare them tomorrow, Bill.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sweet! So glad you are able to complete this project and pray you will be able to hunt with the rifle too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Very nice work! :D

Dave B
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Thanks Mike.

Have any spare straight levers, or know anyone that does, or would like to trade for a 71 lever? Winchester or Miroku would make me happy, if they work in my Winchester.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Sorry, but I have no straight 1886 levers in my current stock. I will see what I can dredge up, though. :)