Let's get it straight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Let's get it straight

Post by Mike D. »

For years there have been persistent incorrect terminology concerning the Winchester lightweight rifles. Dealers, and others, insist on calling the .33 caliber guns "extra lightweights". They are not.
Those were simply cataloged as "33 caliber rifle", regardless of the configuration. Also, full magazines and High Velocity sights ARE NOT special order items on the Extra Lightweight .45-70 rifles. Special order would include other calibers than .45-70, receiver or tang mounted sights, and embellishments like upgraded wood and engraving.

This page from the 1910 catalog will explain my point.Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Let's get it straight

Post by Blaine »

30 bucks :o :shock: More than likely the most expensive part of their kit, in those days.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The updated price list of 2 January 1917 shows the 33 caliber rifles at $34.50 and the EL 1886 45-70 at $ 28.50 and the TD priced the same as the .33. The carbine was still $22. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

BlaineG wrote:30 bucks :o :shock: More than likely the most expensive part of their kit, in those days.
A months pay for a working man.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It's amazing how valuable a U.S. Dollar used to be. Or a plain old "copper" for that matter - one simple cent. :shock:

Thanks for the terminology class! I've found that osmosis doesn't really work all that well for learning gun related things - at some point an old/wiser guy has to actually SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE. What a concept...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

From the name of the topic, I thought you had a bent barrel. Neat info anyway.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The only "bent barrel" I had was when I ran over my Model 97. When I was done you could nearly shoot around corners with it. Big wowee. :oops:
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Per online inflation calculator

1910 $25 = $578 today

1910 $30 = $693 today

Typing that makes me sad.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I noticed both LW's were 22" barrels while the .33 WCF wears a 24".
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Affirmative, Rimfire. That is exactly why the .33s are not considered LWs. That category was reserved for the .45-70s.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

thank you for the post and the info...nice ad...there are days i wish i had a way-back-machine...oh well... :)
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Mike, do you know what the 86's sold for in the depression? 1929, 1930?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
I agree with you and the catalog. The .33's were a tad heavier due to the longer barrel and a smaller hole in the barrel which makes it heavier.................but.........................................................

You and I both know that lightweights had steel buttplates and extra lightweights had hard rubber buttplates along with a hole drilled in the buttstock to lighten it even more. Of the two dozen or so 45-70 "extra-lightweights" I have played with (mine and others) over the years all had the hard rubber buttplate and the .33 "lightweights" were about a 50/50 mix of hard rubber or steel. I have no idea if stocks were switched back in the old days due to whatever.

My current stock of two extra lightweight 45-70's and two e-lw 45-90's have hard rubber buttplates and my sole example of a 33 has the steel plate. I have owned two other .33's and both had hard rubbers and my b-i-l's has hard rubber. My buddy Gary has two .33's that are steel.---------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Jack, I have ELTDS in .38-56 and .45-90 that wear smooth and checkered steel buttplates. Others have hard rubber, both with "peak" and without.