Could It Be......A Misspelling?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Could It Be......A Misspelling?

Post by Sixgun »

Well gents, first I'd like to say its been a terrible two weeks for me. My wife had me paint the entire interior of the house AND redo the hardwood floors. Whew! Glad thats over and thank the Good Lord (and modern technology) for one coat paint and a new product out called "Rejuvenator" for the wood floors. :D Well, I should be good for another 20 years or death, whichever comes first. :D

Now, on to the important things in life........guns! :D

Last night I was reading in the new "American Rifleman" about this famous target shooter, Army guy, and Winchester and Colt promotor, a "Major John W. Hession", who was born in 1877 and died some years after WW2.

I have this Colt Single Action in .44 Russian that was shipped to a "John W. Hissian" in 1907. He sure was not a Major at 30 years of age then. When pronounced, the names sound similar and how many "John W. Hession/Hissian were there at that date and time who were gunguys, target shooters who prefered target cartridges?

I'm not the greatest internet detective and searches turned up little, except for the "Major John W. Hession"

Anybody have any thoughts?------------------Sixgun

Last edited by Sixgun on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Could It Be......A Misspelling?

Post by C. Cash »

Sounds plausible to me....that would be very cool.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Couldn't be any other. Superb Colt with perfect provenance. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Highly likely. Definitely worth a bunch more research.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Now that is cool. 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

OH MY GOODNESS, THE SIGHT OF THAT COLT SAA IN 44RUSSIAN, ONLY THE SECOND PICTURE I'VE EVER SEEN OF ONE , MAKES MY DOBBER QUIVER. WWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!
I'VE NEVER SEEN ONE IN THE FERROUS FLESH AND THE FIRST PICTURE WAS A DRAWING IN THE STORY " BUSTAMONTE I HATE YOU " BY SKEETER SKELTON. THAT WAS A COLT SAA NICKLE 5 1/2" IN 44RUSSIAN.
MY HOLY GRAIL GUN IS A COLT NEW FRONTIER 4 3/4" 44RUSSIAN SIXGUN. I WOULD SETTLE FOR A COLT SAA 4 3/4" 44RUSSIAN TOO IF I HAD TO DO SO. EITHER WAY IT'LL PROBABLY HAVE TO BE A CUSTOM BUILT.
I SHOOT THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS OF 44RUSSIAN AMMUNITION IN MY 44SPL SIXGUNS EVERY YEAR AND LITERALLY EVERY LOAD I EVER TESTED SHOT UP A STORM IN THE DIMINUATIVE LITTLE BEAUTY. THERE IS NO FINER LOOKING CARTRIDGE THAN THE 44RUSSIAN LOADED WITH THE KEITH 429421; WHAT AN IMPISH LITTLE BEAUTY, YEEEHAAA !!!
MY COLT SAA 4 3/4" 44SPL SHOOTS UP A STORM WITH THE 44RUSSIAN WITH KEITH 429421'S RIGHT AT 900fps.

THANKS FOR SHOWING THESE PICTURES, SIR. I NOW NEED A DRINK TO SETTLE MY NERVES.
AND SO IT GOES...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

WOW !! Now THAT IS SWEET !! :mrgreen:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Good Lord Sixgun. Please arrange for a meet up with Terry so he can fondle your Colt. :) And I am sure if you'd be willing, he'd shoot it some too :lol:

Would make for some great pics and great memories - not to mention adding to the hogleg's providence! :D

I would definatley continue digging into the facts on this. That is way cool.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1st, find out where John Hession was stationed in 1907. You might very well find that he was at West Point or another post close by NYC. Finding out more might be difficult. Sales records for H&D Folsom would be VERY good... but probably unlikely.

Very nice find, and not one to believe much in coincidences... while not locked in, that's rather close!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK, you guys got me excited!

Yes, I do shoot this gun from time to time. 6 grains of Unique with a 245 Keith. It has perfect mechanics, perfect tolerences, and a like new bore. One piece original walnuts (numbered to the gun) with a load of blue and a fair amount of case colors is not holding me back from playing with it. I can smack the 6" gong at 100 meters with regularity. But.................after loading the cartridges on a progressive RCBS I weigh each loaded cartridge and they had better be + or - 3 grains.

Thanks very much for the cool remarks and yes Terry, you can shoot it. I too, remember Skeeter's article on that one that was all scratched up in Mexico. This Colt is my holy grail of single actions. I believe 153 were made.

This gun came out of an old estate in the rich area of Delaware. You guys would cry if you knew what I paid for it---was not cheap, but I did manage to get it on a forklift drivers salary :D ----------Sixgun

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1st, find out where John Hession was stationed in 1907. You might very well find that he was at West Point or another post close by NYC. Finding out more might be difficult. Sales records for H&D Folsom would be VERY good... but probably unlikely.

Very nice find, and not one to believe much in coincidences... while not locked in, that's rather close!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well, I did find one misspelling of his name. When John Hession was at the 1908 Olympics, his name was spelled "Hessian". Getting close. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_a ... free_rifle

cfplinker
Levergunner

Post by cfplinker »

Especially with the possible tie to the Olympics this might be a job for the History Detectives.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/submit-story/

At least you could see if they would be interested.
Shoot safely, shoot well, and shoot often.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

cfplinker wrote:Especially with the possible tie to the Olympics this might be a job for the History Detectives.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/submit-story/

At least you could see if they would be interested.
Mr. Plinker---------You 'da man! I never would of thought. I guess thats why the government don't like the internet too much-----it educates dummies like me. Thanks pard.........and while you in Colorado, say hello to my son...he lives in Morrison, near Columbine-------------Sixgun

Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

That Colt has a 105% cool factor !!!! Good luck in your search :D
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Remarkable! What a gun... Bet the letter does have a typo.

Hession, according to a Daisy Air Rifle ad in the September 1929 issue of Boys Life magazine,
lived in Hastings-On-Hudson, NY.

I'll have to find out more about him. Fascinated with the old gun cranks - Whelen, Sharpe,
Donaldson, Lovell...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would think a typo is likely, even maybe copied from a mis-spelling in the "book" or a mis-reading of handwriting.

He seems to be an interesting character. Middle name is William. Here's his passport application. Note that he was born in Canada. He has two great-great grandsons living. He was in Stamford, CT in 1910. Can't find when he died (although I easily found when his son died) but it was after 1956.
USPassportApplications17951925_PassportApplicati_72695623_pg1.jpg
USPassportApplications17951925_PassportApplicati_72695624pg2.jpg
Oh and that was his rifle the NRA has been promoting....
When the British army lost most of its arms on the beach at Dunkirk during WWII, John W. Hessian was one of many Americans who responded by loaning a rifle for British use.

As this bolt-action Springfield rifle, SN 264631, was Hessian's prized competition piece, a gun that had successfully competed in the Olympics, at Bisley Range in England, and in the National Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio - Hessian placed specially engraved plates on the stock denoting its importance. The front plate, which asked for the rifle's return after the defeat of Germany, may be the reason this piece was returned to Hessian after the war.

Heinlein purchased this former military issue bolt-action rifle in his later years and used it for informal target shooting, mentioning a similar rifle in his novel, The Number of the Beast.

Serving as an issued standard battle rifle for the United States military through two world wars and many other minor conflicts, the Model 1903 rifle was based in part on the Mauser Model 1898 design. The Springfield M1903 was manufactured at Springfield Armory in Springfield, MA, and also under government contract at Rock Island Arsenal in Rock Island, IL, and later at Remington Arms in Ilion, NY. Rock Island manufactured this rifle design only from 1904 to 1920.

Over one and a half million examples were produced prior to 1941, and with the start of WWII, production began again at Remington and at Smith-Corona, a typewriter and mechanical calculator company in Syracuse, NY. The new Model 1903 was designed as the M1903A1 to distinguish the newer production from older manufactured rifles that could have heat-treating issues with the receiver in certain serial number ranges.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I think the first step would be to research H & D Folsom Arms Company… to make sure the "H" in H & D doesn't stand for Hissian.

(Scratch that…. H would be Henry Folsom (or H. Lloyde Folsom)) (who's the D for???)
Slow is just slow.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thank you for all of your suggestions. :D Just an update. Ain't done nottin' all weekend. Research resumes in a day or two.--me

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Wow sixgun, you have indeed found a treasure!

Glad to see this bunch doing a lot of research for you. All the info I have for you is that H & D Folsom Arms was evidently a volume dealer for Colt. I just sold one that was shipped to them as 1 of 50 in October of 1876.

Congratulations

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Wow sixgun, that is a beauty of a SAA as to provenance I hope all turns out well.
RL Wilson states that only 154 SAA were made in 44 Russian, so shes a rare beast without doubt.
Flat top targets 51, Bisleys 29 and Bisley targets 64.

You have done extremely well, congrats.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hey, Sixgun,

As we've come to expect from you, that's a lovely Colt and a wonderful tale, and, yes, a typo, no doubt! But I'd keep digging to confirm that typo.

For those not familiar with the Bustamonte piece referenced earlier, here is:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/03 ... te_200903/
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Cimarron Red wrote:Hey, Sixgun,

As we've come to expect from you, that's a lovely Colt and a wonderful tale, and, yes, a typo, no doubt! But I'd keep digging to confirm that typo.

For those not familiar with the Bustamonte piece referenced earlier, here is:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/03 ... te_200903/

Howdy Reds--the months and years go by............too quickly :| Not sure if I'm headed out your way this fall as there's still a bit of uncertainty. Been lots of changes. Well, thats life. I'll keep you posted as I'd sure like to head on down to Pueblo a bit a pull the triggers with 'ya.

I remember that Skeeter story like it was yesterday...early eighties? My favorite writer.......by far! When this 44 was shoved in my face a few years back, I instantly remembered the story. I had to did deep, but glad I did. Thanks for posting it. :D ------------Sixgun

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hey, Jack,

You bet the months and years go by far too fast ... but just wait until you retire. Then they will seem like they're belt-fed! And then the next thing you know you'll be knee-deep in fired cases, and you'll find you've just hit the hereafter lottery!

Till then all's well as long as you have a target in your sights along with a good buddy to laugh at your misses.

I hope to see you this fall, laddie.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

love the inter-mix of history and information on this forum...never seen TERRY M. that excited (good for the cardiovascular system)...Sixgun, what a find...thank you for sharing... :)