If you want to feel better about gasoline prices...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

If you want to feel better about gasoline prices...

Post by AJMD429 »

...just go to Gander Mountain and check the ammo prices... :shock:

Straight-wall heavy pistol cartridges $1.00 apiece for regular, twice that for 'premium'; bottleneck rifle cartridges more like $1.50 for regular and $3.00 for premium.

Makes me glad I have components to reload. Now if I can just find the time to do it...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: If you want to feel better about gasoline prices...

Post by Griff »

Gas Prices around the World will make you feel both cheated and thankful!

Gas Prices Around the World

Find out how prices at the pump in the U.S. stack up against prices in 11 other countries.
By Susannah Snider, Reporter, Kiplinger's Personal Finance
March 31, 2011

The average U.S. gas price has skyrocketed to $3.61, according to AAA. But Americans cough up only about half of the amount drivers pay per gallon in Europe, where steep fuel taxes fund public transit systems, among other projects. On the other extreme, oil-rich countries, such as Saudi Arabia, Iran and Venezuela, keep fuel dirt-cheap with generous subsidies that cost their governments billions.

Keep in mind that, with our suburbs, strip malls and gas guzzlers, Americans feel the pain at the pump more acutely than others.

Here’s a look at the average gas prices in early March for 11 countries around the world, collected by the German Agency for International Cooperation.

Canada
$5.56 per gallon
Although Canada is a major producer of oil (it’s the U.S.’s main provider, accounting for 24% of our crude oil in January), heavy taxes hit Canadian drivers hard. Pricing methods vary among provinces, with some choosing to regulate and others opting out. In February, Ontario’s motorists paid about 38% in taxes at the pump, more than triple the U.S. rate.

France
$8.29 per gallon
European countries are well-known for their sky-high gas prices. France is no exception, levying taxes of over $4.50 per gallon. One trade-off is Europe’s ubiquitous train system, with high-speed trains such as the Eurostar and Thalys linking the continent.

Turkey
$9.96 per gallon
Turkey has the highest price on our list, soaring to almost $10 per gallon. Istanbul consistently ranks as one of the most expensive cities in which to buy gas.

Saudi Arabia
$0.61 per gallon
Saudi Arabia boasts about one-fifth of the world’s oil reserves and is a significant supplier to the U.S. The price of gasoline is decided by royal decree, selling at a subsidized rate.

Iran
$1.44 per gallon
Although Iranians enjoy a gas subsidy, the government recently reduced its assistance, causing prices to soar. Drivers used to purchase a rationed 60 liters (about 16 gallons) of gas at about 10 cents per liter, with taxi drivers allowed more. The price has since quadrupled for the same fixed amount, according to Armin Wagner, an analyst at the German Agency for International Cooperation, a German-based group that studies global development.

India
$5.03 per gallon
In June 2010, the Indian government decided to deregulate gasoline prices, doing away with the subsidies that had long kept the cost low. The price has since increased by about $1.

China
$4.54 per gallon
China’s economic regulatory agency, the National Development and Reform Commission, adjusts the retail price of gasoline when the cost of crude oil changes by more than 4% over 22 business days. “When oil prices rally, China sometimes keeps oil lower than international rates to keep the economy going, prevent protests and promote social stability,” says Antoine Halff, a senior oil market analyst for the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Japan
$6.62 per gallon
The island nation taxes motorists almost $3 per gallon, according to Energy Détente. A state-of-the-art railway system, which includes lightning-fast shinkansen (bullet trains), offsets the pain at the pump.

Australia
$5.41 per gallon
Australia’s gas prices are determined by a deregulated market where competition is the name of the game. A benefit to Australian consumers right now is their thriving currency, which recently traded at a record-breaking rate against the U.S. dollar.

Brazil
$5.98 per gallon
In the Western hemisphere, only the U.S. and Canada outpace Brazil’s appetite for energy. The country is somewhat insulated from rising world oil prices because of its local supply of ethanol, harvested from sugarcane. Each of the country’s 33,000 gas stations offer pure hydrated ethanol, according to Brazil’s Surgarcane Association. And motorists can drive Flexfuel vehicles, designed to run on a mixture of gasoline and ethanol.

Venezuela
$0.08 per gallon
Venezuela boasts the lowest cost of gasoline on our list. Citizens pay just pennies per gallon, enjoying generous subsidies from President Hugo Chavez.

Like Iran and Saudi Arabia, oil-rich Venezuela has stitched affordable gas into its national fabric. “Oil is seen as a national resource, effectively owned by all and to which all are entitled,” says Halff. “The idea of cheap gasoline tends to be firmly entrenched in the political culture of those countries.”

Sources:
-- German Agency for International Cooperation March 2011 Survey
-- Associates for International Research (AIRINC)
-- Lundberg Survey/Energy Détente from March 2011
-- U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
-- AAA
-- Mercer
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I refuse to buy the $2 and $3 dollar rounds for my common calibers. Bass Pro can rival most for high ammo prices. Saw a box of Rem. .357 SJHP last week at Bass Pro for $44.95 for 50! Same ammo at local Rural KIng farm store was $26.99.
Still doesn't make me feel good about putting $119+ in my F150 a few days ago. :evil: This was at $3.699/gal.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If I didn't cast my own handgun bullets, some rifle bullets, and load my own I wouldn't be able to shoot! But I would save a lot of gas money on trips to the range! :wink:
NRA Life Member
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Gander has always been overpriced on stuff. It`s a wonder they are still open. :x
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

dennie wrote:Still doesn't make me feel good about putting $119+ in my F150 a few days ago. :evil: This was at $3.699/gal.
dennie
I topped off this am, about a half a tank... $506.43, but that was just shy of a 1,000 miles. 7.41 mpg @ $3.959/gal! When I'm drivin', that's about every other day or so. My weekly fuel cost averages over $2,500!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

TedH wrote:If I didn't cast my own handgun bullets, some rifle bullets, and load my own I wouldn't be able to shoot! But I would save a lot of gas money on trips to the range! :wink:
Ditto.

.308 is my current bug-a-boo. My HK91 beats brass like no other gun can. I've done some mods to help this, but still...

OTOH, Occasionally Berdan 7.62 MilSurp is available for around $0.45ea so that's not TOO bad... :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Gander has always been overpriced on stuff. It`s a wonder they are still open. :x
Yep. Used to be worth going to because:
  • - lots of used guns of all types you could handle, at reasonable prices,
    - lots of new guns of all types you could handle, at not-too-ridiculous prices,
    - even semi-obscure cartridges in-stock if you didn't mind paying top-dollar
Lately it seems like they have few used guns (maybe due to the social mood and economy), and they've locked up their new ones so you can't handle them without an attendant (not that I blame them), plus there are many brands of fairly basic firearms they just don't stock, and lately, all the cartridges are extremely high-priced, and though they have some .45 Colt (at $1.50 a round) and .22 Hornet (at $1.10 a round), they don't have anything like .375 Ruger or .338 Lapua or .50 Beowulf (not that anyone else stocks them either).
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I plink with .22, and have been stocking up on .45acp, 38spc, and .380. If I would get off my butt, I have have about 15,000 primers of different kinds, and enough other supplies to "do me" for hunting. Enough 45-70 fixin's for a lifetime :lol: I'll get more powder someday, though, especially Blue Dot (you can load a bunch of stuff with BD if you're in a bind for another powder, just load down some.)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Griff wrote: I topped off this am, about a half a tank... $506.43, but that was just shy of a 1,000 miles. 7.41 mpg @ $3.959/gal! When I'm drivin', that's about every other day or so. My weekly fuel cost averages over $2,500!
What have you got, a GTO from 1966?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

El Chivo wrote:
Griff wrote:I topped off this am, about a half a tank... $506.43, but that was just shy of a 1,000 miles. 7.41 mpg @ $3.959/gal! When I'm drivin', that's about every other day or so. My weekly fuel cost averages over $2,500!
:lol:

dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Griff, the money you spend in fuel on your job is astronomical, but, it is somewhat recouped in your wages. I certainly hope so anyway. All I get from mine is to drive around for a couple of weeks. Kinda hard to compare the two from here.

El Chivo, I understand that! My '67 Dodge R/T with the 440 engine got 7-9 mpg the way I drove it. But a lot of that was street racing a lot of my buds, and pegging the 150 speedo on occasion! Not real bright.
My new in '70 GTO with the 455cubes, 4 speed, posi-trac got 9-15mpg depending on my driving. Loved that car!
ONTOH, my '77 F-100 4x4 only got 6-9 no matter how I drove it! Plus a quart of oil every couple of days! Today I only have an '09 F-150 I bought new as my retirement gift to me. Around town average driving about 14-15mpg. On the highway, and not towing, 18-19mpg.
Guess I have always been a slave to OPEC.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

On relaoding components...

4# of 2400 just cost me $65... $5 more than last year.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

Over here rifle ammo is easily $3 a round (exchange rate equivalent). 9mm I can still get for 50c US.

I reload like crazy. Bought one box 357, maybe two boxes 30-30, two boxes 30-06, new ammo... and I shoot over 60 guns so.

(OK, some of those are calibers I won't find ammo for here -- 32-20, 38-40, 45-75, 300 Whisper, 7mm TCU. But I ain't paying 50c US for 32 ACP...)
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

El Chivo wrote:
Griff wrote: I topped off this am, about a half a tank... $506.43, but that was just shy of a 1,000 miles. 7.41 mpg @ $3.959/gal! When I'm drivin', that's about every other day or so. My weekly fuel cost averages over $2,500!
IMO, REAL GTOs were only made in 1964 and 65. After that they got longer and bulkier.
Gas is up to 3.89/gal up here. Rip off Chevron, Shell, and Union are all over 4.25. Their gasoline and their touted additives are no better than any other regular.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln