Best place to get a replacement 20 guage Wingmaster barrel?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Best place to get a replacement 20 guage Wingmaster barrel?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've been looking for a replacement barrel for my nice old 20 guage Wingmaster. This is one with an "X" at the ending of the serial number. I want a 26 or 28" gloss finish ribbed barrel with screw-in choke or I'd be happy with a modified choke barrel.

Mine has a full choke barrel - not really the best for dove hunting. It really fits me well and points great though and is light as a feather.

So, where do you guys recommend I find one of these? And what's with the "X"? is mine a LW? It's got a steel receiver... very confusing when shopping for this barrel.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Best place to get a replacement 20 guage Wingmaster barrel?

Post by junkbug »

Unless you are really in love with that full choke, you may want to consider having the full opened to a modified. If you end up still not liking that, you can have your original barrel threaded for tubes by Carlson's or Briley.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Gun Broker always has several pages of 870 barrels.
Bide your time and you will find what you are looking for at the right price.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I read quite a bit over on shotgunworld.com in the Remington section of their forums. There are quite a few very knowledgeable fellows there, you might ask them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Midway or Remingtons websight.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks for the feedback. I've tried midway, brownell's, Remington (very limited selection). gun broker and some more already...

As to opening the choke... is this done with a bore reamer? I've seen these for sale in brownells - they look like a bore brush with stones on the brush - I think...

A full choke 20 guage just isn't that useful to me. I think of 20 as a dove or similar guage. For full choke - turkey, duck or goose, I go with one of my 12 guages...

ETA: OK, I checked back at Brownells - the thing I was thinking of (flexhone) is for polishing. But they also have a "Gilchrist Choke Reamer" that will do the trick. So, I might just go that route.

I really don't have a use for a full choke 20 guage and this is less expensive than buying a new barrel.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Check Numrich, they have the best selection and prices. This might be the one you want. :)

Barrel, 20 Ga. LW, 26'' Remchoke, Vent Rib - New, Factory Original, Incl Wrench $177.20

www.gunpartscorp.com
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

OK, went back to gunbroker and did a wider search and this turned up a "target" barrel with full sight rib and screw-in chokes - perfect. Now to see if I can win the auction or get the shop to put a "buy now" on it and let me order it...

The price is decent.

I checked the tools needed at Brownells and found what I needed but discovered that I would need a new specialy caliper guage which made this impractical for a single modification and I don't need more than one.

Plus, with the new barrel I can put the existing barrel up for sale and cover some of the expense of the new one...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!