Deer huntin' time

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Deer huntin' time

Post by Mike D. »

Tomorrow is the A season opener in CA, so off i go down to San Benito to see what we can find. Some nice bucks have been seen, but I expect them to disappear by tomorrow AM. It will be bit on the toasty side down there with highs expected to be 108º both days this weekend. It will be a test to my abilities which aren't much. No climbing that's for sure. On top of the cancer issues I came down with shingles a few weeks ago and the buggers have been giving me fits. All the meds are gone and most have dried up but a couple of hangers on along my right groin and buttock. Talk about a pain in the a**, these are it. Bully if I'll let that stop me entirely, but the fleeping sun might. Talk to y'all on Sunday. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Deer huntin' time

Post by pwl44m »

Good Luck Mike. It is supposed to be REALLY HOT in Cali this week. My Wife will attest to the pain of Shingles, She wants to get the shot for them but it is close to $300.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good luck Mike. Personally, I don't like to hunt if its over 40 degrees.

Whats with the shingles thing? You puttin' on a new roof?-------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Best of luck with the hunt and the medical problem.
It was 115 at 29 Palms yesterday felt like walking in a space heater
It is not the critic who counts
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Good Luck, Mike. You takin' an '86?

I'm making a scouting trip Labor Day weekend for my X5b tag. Can't wait for the opener in October! :D

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I did take an '86 in .40-82 just to shoot at targets but never got around to it. Too bloody hot to do anything after 10AM except soak n the pool. Saturday morning we saw 6 buck, with two maybe shooters, a nice tall fork and a 2X3. None of us wanted to take a buck on the first day, so we let 'em slide. The Rhino decided to go only in reverse after a 3 mile drive in the evening, so it had to be backed all the way back to the house. This was over hill and dale, too. I did not go out this morning due to a dad night of hacking and being short of breath. I think it was allergies from the grass I was sleeping over. I put my cot in the yard as the house was over the top hot and no AC quite yet, but we're working on it. Left at 10 AM after a b-fast of eggs and SOS and was back here by 1PM. I probably won't go down for a couple of weeks. I bought gas on Friday afternoon at $3.73/gal and today it was $3.89. I expect $4.25-4.50 in a few weeks. Much manipulation here in CA. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

It's a long season and bound to cool off. How are the deer looking up your way?

We skipped the opener and are going out in one week from today for a week or until we get a deer. I hope its cooler.

Take care.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Skipped the opener as well but had a good laugh this mourning.I was going up the base of Cuesta Grade headed north and look to my left and there is a forkie eating out of an apple tree,just had to laugh and keep going.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Mike D. wrote:I did take an '86 in .40-82 just to shoot at targets but never got around to it. Too bloody hot to do anything after 10AM except soak n the pool. Saturday morning we saw 6 buck, with two maybe shooters, a nice tall fork and a 2X3. None of us wanted to take a buck on the first day, so we let 'em slide. The Rhino decided to go only in reverse after a 3 mile drive in the evening, so it had to be backed all the way back to the house. This was over hill and dale, too. I did not go out this morning due to a dad night of hacking and being short of breath. I think it was allergies from the grass I was sleeping over. I put my cot in the yard as the house was over the top hot and no AC quite yet, but we're working on it. Left at 10 AM after a b-fast of eggs and SOS and was back here by 1PM. I probably won't go down for a couple of weeks. I bought gas on Friday afternoon at $3.73/gal and today it was $3.89. I expect $4.25-4.50 in a few weeks. Much manipulation here in CA. :|
Wow to hot for me!! I am used to the cool November days in NY and it seems odd the hunt when its so hot.
Hope you feel better and it cools down some.

Good luck hunting,
Steve