How About Those Mannlicher Stocks?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

How About Those Mannlicher Stocks?

Post by Blaine »

I didn't want to tread on another thread, but I've wondered about those Mannlicher stocks. We know that stocks that bind a bit can change POI, especially when the barrel warms up. I wonder if twice the wood makes it twice as susceptible :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

they're not for target rifles.

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

The point of a full stock is to make it easier to use the rifle for a walking stick in the hills, like the wooded lower portion of the Alps, or the Ozarks or the Appalachians. That's in a sporting rifle. In a military rifle, it lets you grip closer to the bayonet without burning your hand on a hot barrel.

They also look pretty cool. I only have a couple, but I really like them. For a bench rest rifle, or an antelope hunt, I would probably want less stock and about 6" more barrel.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: How About Those Mannlicher Stocks?

Post by AJMD429 »

Looks-wise, I never could warm up to them, and that 'impact-shift' thing would make me nervous (not that I could shoot well enough to know the difference... :oops: ).

I suppose with all the polymer-impregnated woods and laminates these days, they could make them super-unlikely to warp.

(Now even though I like stainless/synthetic guns, I don't think I could ever like a synthetic Mannlicher stock...! :shock: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've always liked the look of the Manlicher stocks. I thought a CZ in .223 would make the perfect walking around rifle but the Manlicher CZ has the wrong twist IMHO.
I ended up with a CZ full stock in .22 mag. I love it, it shoots great, and for the 5 rounds in the magazine it doesn't get hot enough to change impact.
I scoped mine with a 1-4X20 Leupold shotgun scope to keep the scope compact enough so that it doesn't overwelm the small rifle.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Rusty wrote:I've always liked the look of the Manlicher stocks. I thought a CZ in .223 would make the perfect walking around rifle but the Manlicher CZ has the wrong twist IMHO.
I ended up with a CZ full stock in .22 mag. I love it, it shoots great, and for the 5 rounds in the magazine it doesn't get hot enough to change impact.
I scoped mine with a 1-4X20 Leupold shotgun scope to keep the scope compact enough so that it doesn't overwelm the small rifle.
i think the CZ with mannlicher stock in 7.62 x 39 would be a cool little walking around and woods gun.
cable
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I bought a full-stocked CZ rifle in .22LR a couple of years ago.
It shoots 5 shots into 3/8" @ 50 yards when I do my part.
It shoots as well or better than my 10/22 target model.

The CZ has made me wonder why I've always assumed that a full-stocked rifle couldn't be accurate.

Jack
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jhrosier wrote:The CZ has made me wonder why I've always assumed that a full-stocked rifle couldn't be accurate.
Interesting experience. It makes you wonder if the 'truism' that they can't shoot due to ever-changing stock pressure is the same kind of 'truth' that said semiauto rifles could never approach the accuracy of bolt-actions. In medicine what is gospel one year will be ridiculous the next year, and if you want a few more years, will be gospel again - maybe the same for guns in some ways.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I love the look, and would buy one in a heartbeat if they only made them for lefties. Year's ago, I think it was Sako, did make one model for southpaws. But, that was back in the days of kids and house payments. I imagine I could have a smith take 700, bob the barrel and restock it, but that does get pricey even with today's expendable cash.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have two mannilicher stocked rifles,one a SAKO Bavarian carbine and the other an anschutz 1418 in 22lr.Both guns are very accurate and show no signs of shifting impact, though the Sakos barrel is free floated.One thing to remember is that these guns are hunting rifles not target rifles so in theory they would only be shot one or two times while shooting at game so the heating up of the barrel or shifting impact do to that would be at a minimum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jeepnik, you're the reason Ruger makes the M-77 in the full length stock.

I'm left handed, that's one reason I like my #1.

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have a Ruger international in 243 and it is very accurate.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Knew and shot with a now-deceased gent who had several pre-war Manncher-Schonauer rifles (double set triggers, buter knife bolt handle, rotary magazine, full stock, etc.) in various calibres. According to Max, they examplifiedTeutonic craftsmanship and engineering at its best.

He did 100 and 200 yard paper target shooting and hunted extensively with them. I never heard him complain of a wandering zero and from he said they would all hold MOA with his handloads.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

About four years ago I bought a .22 Krico Model 302 Stutzen that was shipped from the Kriegeskorte factory in 1965. Never had an accuracy problem.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Rusty wrote:I've always liked the look of the Manlicher stocks. I thought a CZ in .223 would make the perfect walking around rifle but the Manlicher CZ has the wrong twist IMHO.

I have the same .22 mag. Haven't had any issues with changing POI. Live that litttle rifle.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Lets see I've owned three of the Pre Garcia Sako's that were mannlicher stocked a pair of 222's and a 22-250 . The 222's shot great but I never fired the 250 .

Also have a custom 8x57 with a 20" barrel on a 98 Mauser barreled action . My dad got this one in the 50's and it shoots very nicely also .

Had a Ruger 77RSI with the tang safety . This one shot well enough for deer hunting . But the best was 1 1/2" for 3 at a 100 . It was a 308 .

I've got an old Mannlicher Schoenauer 8x56MS that does pretty well but I need to work with it some more .

Have a hankering for a Mannlicher Schoenauer 61MC or 61MCA in 308 WIN or possibly 30-06 of course in the carbine mannlicher stocked version as I already have a 61MC 308 in a half stock .

For a guy that hunts the woods and rarely shoots further then 150 yards there's nothing wrong with mannlicher stocked rifles provided they have no hidden problems no pun intended .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I've had quite a few Steyr, Ruger & CZ full-stocked/mannlicher guns over the years - a 6.5mm 1903 M-S Sporting Carbine, a .223 CZ-527FS, two Ruger #1-RSI's (7x57 & .30-06), and five tang safety Ruger M77-RSI's (.250, .270, .308, .308, .30-06).
I never owned two at the same time, though. :oops:

The only three that didn't shoot under an inch @ 100 yards were the CZ .223 & both .308's - both of which were fortunate to get under 3", but not often.

Even the .308's, however, ever had an issue with a wandering zero (they just shot large groups).

I don't count a small group size as a reason for approval in a hunting gun, though (but it does help) - I put much more value in a gun's ability to place it's first shot (POI) to the POA, EVERY time I take it out with a cold barrel, as occurs in the vast majority of hunting situations I've found myself in over the last 50-odd years.
From a cold barrel, dirty or clean - YMMV.

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Full length stocks are not for me..
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I once saw a griffin and howe, pre WWII custom 1895 winchester in 405...with drop dead beautiful wood, with a full length mannlicher style forend. it was odd, but also beautifully done. almost bought it, but wanted a 405 that was traditional and factory stock.
cable
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I never had any problems with my CZ .22Hornet,

UNTIL GK jr FELL IN LOVE WITH IT!!!.....

If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I loves me some Mannlicher stocks! :mrgreen:

As long as the barrel is free floated, I would think they can be just as accurate as any other wood stocked rifle.

GK, that pic has me wondering if I can source a Mannlicher for my 452 Trainer... :twisted:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Rusty wrote:Jeepnik, you're the reason Ruger makes the M-77 in the full length stock.

I'm left handed, that's one reason I like my #1.
Never seen the M-77 in a full length stock. When did they make it?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ruger made the Model 77-RSI (full-length stock) in both the old tang safety models (since the early 70's), and currently in the new Mark II side safety models - but they're ALL RH.

Ruger makes a couple of LH Model 77's, though - the M77 Hawkeye & M77 Gunsite Scout

Due to differences in bbl lengthe, and mostly contour (RSI's have THIN bbls), RSI full-length stocks aren't easily adaptable to other Ruger M77's - IF you can glom onto just a stock.

Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I've owned a Ruger RSI International in .308 since they were first offered about 1982 or 83. It is a hunting rifle, not a target rifle and the inch and a half groups it shoots have never varied. This gun has taken several mule deer, pronghorn and elk, a couple of black bears, one moose, one mountain lion, several coyote and lots of other critters. What more could you ask of a rifle that looks so good.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

game keeper wrote:I never had any problems with my CZ .22Hornet,

UNTIL GK jr FELL IN LOVE WITH IT!!!.....

We sold a customer two new CZ550 mannlichers a couple months back . One was in 9.3x62 and if I'm not mistaken the other was a 308 . We've not heard anything from him so I am assuming he's either not fired them or he has and both did okay for him .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We have a customer that has a nice old Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5x54 . It's a petite looking little thing .

I might have to try and get it when he sells it . He's been disposing of his collection .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

Love my 99C, had a manlicher stock put on it

and it has brought home meat :-)

I noticed not many pic's how you don't mine I put in a couple :-)

A closer pic's ... Enjoy :-) does I 1" @ 100yds ... it's in 7mm-08
that's with factory fodder :-)
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

My SAKO Bavarian carbine

Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

When I was little and paging through my Dad's old mid-1950s edition of Shooter's Bible, there were these lavish listings for the Mannlicher Schoenauers (Stoeger was the importer and published the book). As the twig is bent, so grows the tree... :lol:
Currently have one for-real one, a Remington Model 7 in .350 and a 10/22 International I treated myself to for my 50th a couple years ago. I think they look very nice and haven't had any reason to complain about how they shoot.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
redmond
Levergunner

Post by redmond »

This new Ruger 10/22 International followed me home a couple weeks ago. It shoots extremely well. Lots of fun and very accurate.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

redmond, that's really nice! Is the length of pull really short like the standard 10/22's or is it longer like a full sized rifle?

Thanks,

redmond
Levergunner

Post by redmond »

Rusty wrote:redmond, that's really nice! Is the length of pull really short like the standard 10/22's or is it longer like a full sized rifle?

Thanks,

Just measured it and it's 14".
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

I have the Birch International Stock off of a 10-22 that I am thinking about selling, I refinished it with many coats of hand rubbed tung oil and it is a beauty. I was unhappy with the accuracy of the rifle and replaced the stock with a Knoxx Axiom and the first day I went to shoot it I ended up trading the 10-22 for a Marlin 336 in 30-30. So I still have the stock and I read that you can adapt a 10-22 stock to fit a Marlin Model 70 or 795 and I am seriously thinking about attempting it. I have a thing for the micro-groove barrels in a 22lr.
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o55 ... CF3920.jpg
USMC
We are not in a post-cold war period, we are in an inter-war period!!
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

redmond wrote:This new Ruger 10/22 International followed me home a couple weeks ago. It shoots extremely well. Lots of fun and very accurate.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat, except it, as is getting usual for Ruger and several others, has a plywood stock. What the heck ever happened to solid wood?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Well, guys, how about this Harrington & Richardson 157, in .30-30?:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =301428982

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hagler wrote:Well, guys, how about this Harrington & Richardson 157, in .30-30?:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =301428982

Shawn
Local dealer has one of the H&R Mannlicher single shots but I believe the one he has is a 22 Hornet .

H&R also sold a bolt action mannlicher called the model 301 I think . It could be had in 22-250 , 243 and 308 I think .