Security Six Back In Production?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Security Six Back In Production?

Post by Blaine »

If not, I saw a very new looking one in the display case @ Welcher's in Tacoma. Blue, Walnut, about a 5.5, or 6" bbl. Very nice, and I didn't think to ask, as I was on other business.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Re: Security Six Back In Production?

Post by Hobie »

That would be a 6", long out of production...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:That would be a 6", long out of production...
Indeed....This was completely restored, then.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Naw, there's quite a few NIB guns out there floating around. A surprising number. A whole bunch of really nice guns missing their boxes.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Yes, I'd say it was just a super nice or even NIB old gun. A few years ago I picked up a first year production Ruger Bearcat NIB, so there still out there.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Youse guys larn me something every day :)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I found a new in the box 6" stainless Security-Six a couple of months back, just couldn't get together with the dealer. One of the best double actions ever built in my opinion.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I've got a well worn 357 Security Six 6" and love it, but would be tempted to get it a partner if I saw a NIB one.
I just ordered a bunch of Wolff springs for mine including a couple of lighter GP100 springs so I'm hoping I'm going to love mine even more shortly.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:Naw, there's quite a few NIB guns out there floating around. A surprising number. A whole bunch of really nice guns missing their boxes.
:D

At least a 'gently-used' Ruger - especially a stainless Speed Six, can look good enough to pass as 'NIB' with a little effort at cleaning and polishing...

I never studied the GP-100 enough to know what it has over the Speed/Security Six, but they do seem fairly similar.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I'd love one of the Speed or Service Sixes with their fixed sights but they come with a maximum barrel length of only 4" and at our club we shoot revolver out to 50 yds and I need all the sight radius I can get.

The GP100 looks a bit more beefed up, but it actually has lighter springs than the Security Six and they are a straight swap if you want to smooth out and lighten the trigger pull on the older Sixes. Wolff make a light kit for the Six with a 14 pound hammer spring but you can substitute a 10, 11, or 12 pound from the GP100 and from what I've read the only one that may be suspect is the 10 pound as it may be too light to function reliably.
Bob
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

When I got my first stainless Security Six I pretty quickly put in a Wolf spring kit just 'cause I thought I needed it. Later the gun went to another so that I had money to pay for the divorce. Now, I've got another but never felt the need for a spring kit. Neither do either of my Speed Sixes need such a thing.
Sincerely,

Hobie

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hobie wrote:Naw, there's quite a few NIB guns out there floating around. A surprising number. A whole bunch of really nice guns missing their boxes.
Hobie, how often do Security Sixes or Speed Sixes come thru you shop?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

3leggedturtle wrote:
Hobie, how often do Security Sixes or Speed Sixes come thru you shop?
Maybe one or two per YEAR! People who have them generally don't want to get rid of them even with the general move to smaller and lighter for concealed carry. The last one we had was a blue 4" Security Six. It was in the shop about 4 weeks. Most don't last that long.
Sincerely,

Hobie

RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I have a 4" stainless Security Six and Lord willing I'll never part with it. I bought it used and I'm guessing someone worked on it because It is almost as smooth as my Dad's Smith&Wesson model 28. It's a wonder to me why they ever quit making the Security Six. I like them much better than the GP100.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This one was $500+.......I'm not sure I'm going to invest anymore in .357, and probably sell the 50th Anniversary BH, and Stainless Centennial that I now have ....just too dam loud in a handgun. I can shoot heavy bullet, .4+ bullets at low pressure and still have plenty of terminal damage. I could shoot the G36 w/230 standard loads without ear protection for one shot, and not seemingly hurt anything. You younger guys might not understand that, but, at 61 I hear the Bells of St Mary's 24/7, and it interferes with hearing people speak.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Blaine, any handgun is loud. Even a .22 handgun is loud. If you haven't noticed that then you are already deaf.
For everyone else on this forum, PUT ON HEARING PROTECTION WHEN YOU SHOOT HANDGUNS
If you want a defensive 357 load that won't make yer ears bleed how about using a heavy load at cowboy velocities, like a 180 - 200 gn at 800 fps. That way you don't get that loud supersonic crack but still get a lot of penetration.
Bob
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

gundownunder wrote:Blaine, any handgun is loud. Even a .22 handgun is loud. If you haven't noticed that then you are already deaf.
For everyone else on this forum, PUT ON HEARING PROTECTION WHEN YOU SHOOT HANDGUNS
If you want a defensive 357 load that won't make yer ears bleed how about using a heavy load at cowboy velocities, like a 180 - 200 gn at 800 fps. That way you don't get that loud supersonic crack but still get a lot of penetration.
Huh??

:lol: I absolutely agree, but, I don't hunt, or take grouse shots with earplugs, though I prolly should.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I've taken to wearing amplified earmuffs for the past couple of years ---- i have problems hearing with my left ear already, (not shooting related) so i figured i'd better preserve what hearing i have left

nice side benefit is being able to hear all the little forest sounds better
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Streetstar wrote:I've taken to wearing amplified earmuffs for the past couple of years ---- i have problems hearing with my left ear already, (not shooting related) so i figured i'd better preserve what hearing i have left

nice side benefit is being able to hear all the little forest sounds better
With a rifle/shotgun, I can't do a proper weld to the stock with earmuff types....I should look around some, huh? :cry:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

My wife and I each have one and love them. She is on smallish side (4' 11") and likes that it fits her hand comfortably.