Best scope for 375 h&h?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Best scope for 375 h&h?

Post by rjohns94 »

I have a 2x7 leupold and I'm thinking of putting it on a Dakota 97 outfitter in 375 h&h Enough eye relief? Will it hold up to shooting? Should I go for better glass? I'm thinking the power range is good and near 4 inches of eye relief should be good.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best scope for 375 h&h?

Post by TedH »

I have a Leupold 1-4x20 VX2 on mine. It's held up well for several years and has always had adequate eye relief for me. Seems just about right for the rifle to me, but this rifle hasn't seen any real work in the 12 years that I've owned it other than a couple elk hunts.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've got a Redfield 2-7x on my .375 S&R ("Sturm & Ruger" :wink: - essentially the same cartridge/recoil), and there's been no problem with eye-relief, even if I'm wearing a baseball cap.

It is refreshingly 'brisk' to shoot, though - you just know whatever is on the other end of it is getting major hole-itis...

As you can see from the way I mount my scopes, I'm sort of a 'stock-crawler', too - which makes it even harder to not get scope-eye...

If I've been told correctly, the Redfield's are pretty much made the same as the Leupold's, but the big price-difference means lots of folks must think the Leupold's are better/clearer/stronger/prettier/cooler or something... :wink: The .375 hasn't broken my Redfield yet.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Nikon makes an African series in their Monarch line. I've got several Monarchs and the glass is flawless with superior build quality:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-monar ... -8446.html

The price seems reasonable and the eye relief not bad either, but I make no claim to proficiency when it comes to hunting! We have some PHs here however...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

My Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H sports a Leupold 1.5-5x20 in a QD Leupold ring/mount set. In 20 years, it's kept it's zero with yearly carry.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

JMO, but a 2x-7x or larger is too much scope on a DGR.

While the low-powered variables are "ok" enough, I liked the Leupold M8-3x I had on my CZ-550 American Safari .375, mostly because I couldn't find an M8-2x. :mrgreen:

I figured a fixed power scope would withstand the .375's recoil much better than any variable, over the long haul.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't know the kind of hunting/shooting you're doing, AND, I know nothing of .375 H&H, but having scoped a couple light 45-70s, and a 12ga slug gun, AND if you're shooting at under a couple hundred yards, I'd go with a scout set up, and the 2.5 power Leupold.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I had the Interarms Mark X Whitworth 375 H&H I had a older Leupold Vari XIII 2.5-8x on top . When I got my Interams Mark X Whitworth 416 REM MAG it had a Leupold Vari XIII 1.5-5x now that scope is on my friends 505 Gibbs .

On my present Ruger #1H 375 H&H MAG I have an older Weaver V7 and on my present Ruger #1H in 416 REM MAG I have a Leupold Vari XII 1-4x .

Obviousely any of the scopes I've mentioned I'd have no objections to using on a 375 H&H MAG .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I had a 2 x 7 Leupold Vari-X 2 on a Remington 700 classic in 375 HH and it never gave any problems, I didn't get to do any dangerous game hunting, but I probably bagged at least 10 deer with it, and a few of them were running. Later on I put a 1.5 x 5 vari-x 3 on it later with Warn Rings QD, and I am not sure why, but the gun would not hold zero with that combo.

I finally gave up on it with that combo, and also got tired of carrying the slighty heavier and longer 375 and sold it to purchase my next gun, and now I can't even remember what I bought with the money. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter, but sometimes I wish I had kept that 375.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When I was considering a scope for my Ruger #1 I was told that across the boards Leupold generally has a longer eye relief than most other brands.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Interesting that this thread just came up as I just now bought a used Ruger #1 in 375 H&H.
The thought is 1. Leave the sights on it as backup. Going to Alaska!
2. Mount the lowest power scope. 1.5x2.5-4 would be good.
3. Use Quick Detach rings.
Problems to overcome: So far I have been unable to find QD rings for the Ruger #1 (with the rib on top).
Have not yet found a scope with more than 4 inches of eye relief. 5 inches would be fine, 5 1/2 great!
Any suggestions?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Eye relief is important and so is no cheek creep. .375 seems to be notorious for opening up eye brows. Scout mounted scopes might be good for that problem. Also, I have a problem with only lower power scopes because one of the features of the 375 is that it is so very versatile Not having the magnification to make an accurate ethical shot on game at the upper limits of the cartridge's range leaves you with the possibility of not using the rifle to it's full potential. Seems pointless in a one gun battery to limit one self in that way. For those reasons, I was thinking the 2x7 leu old filled the bill. I will have to give it a shot and see :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The 375 HH is extremely versatile when loads are changed to the task. Good field of view and magnification in a clear, rugged scope is important to get the most out of the rifle. Also, you want a scope that can be dialed up for one load and down for another - repeatably by counting the clicks or indexing your dials. Let's be realistic about the dangerous game. If you fit within the average serious international hunter catagory you will shoot two big games animals abroad and one other (domestic or abroad). Buffalo and elephant will be shot at 50 yds or less 99% of the time. Leopard requires a very good bright scope and hippo (with a 375) will be a head shot likely in water where precision is required. The cartridge is too small for rhino really but if you know anything about rhino I wouldnt worry about the cartridge or magnification. A lion may vary in range but the first shot will be most important with a slightly obscured target a distinct possibility. Water buffalo, banteng and other bovine can be taken with a 375 but the range will rarely be over 100 yards and they are as big or bigger than a cape buffalo. Back to this continent, bears might be shot as far as you are comfortable or as close as you can get. In all of these cases, if an animal comes towards you immediately upon receiving the shot you'll be hard pressed to turn your scope down first. If you shoot whatever animals and are going in on it, whether it is known to be wounded or not you can turn your scope down to the lowest setting. While 1X generally will provide the largest field of view, a larger objective can increase field of view also at the same setting or one or two settings higher. There is also the possibility of QD mounts so open or aperature sights can be used on close encounters with just a half minute of preparation. Depending on your physique the weight of the scope can be important when you start with a 9 pound + rifle. You may want to keep the scope light to keep overall weight managable for you or you may appreciate a heavier scope that keeps the muzzle down and reduces the recoil velocity some. Lastly, you are not the PH. If you'd like to become one you have a few other things to think about in regard to sighting systems. As a hunter and hunting client it is not your job to shoot fleeing game, and in the unlikely event of an aggessive animal you have another person with a rifle of adequate power that is trained to handle the situation right there helping you. After all the considerations, I personally think the Leupold VX3 2.5X8X36 scope is one of the most versatile you can put on a 375 HH rifle. There is an ultralight version too. 36mm can be mounted in low rings to keep a good cheekweld on the stock. Your eye can pick it up and center it easily. The length and weight balance nicely on typical American sporting rifle dimensions. For a buffalo or other large animal I'll use 380 grain Rhino soft and solid. Sighted dead on at 100 yds. I will be you money that if I turn the elevation dial up 49 clicks and the windage left 3 clicks my 260 Nosler Accubond loads will now print 2.5" high at 100 yards. We can then dial it back for 380's. Very repeatable. Good luck in your quest - there are a lot of good scopes out there!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Having owned a 375 years ago, receiver sight, in a Ruger #1 and used a 2.5X Compact scope on a 444 my views are not directly to point but hopefuly of some relevance. I found in a quick check of some scope home pages Leupold still makes a number of low power scopes with 4+"s of eye relief. My little compact handled 444 recoil and was like using an optical peep sight. The eye relief was outstanding. The 2.5X power was excellent for moose and deer hunting to at least 250 paces and I am a terrible scope shooter.

I once used a Redfield for a short time on a 243 BLR for prairie deer hunting. It was a 1-4X variable back when everyone still used 4X and 6X fixed mostly. It was dandy. I see no reason to need more than 4X for big game and a 375 H&H needs low power for using its DG capability in my mind. One VERY ANNOYING feature that I still remember clearly was the darn things changed eye relief with magnification change!!!!! I see Leupold still does that but to a manageable degree. I also noted some scopes in the low power variables offer 1/2 MOA adjustments. If you plan hammering elk at 300 paces with a 375, gotta love that caliber, that might be a consideration.

I really like the 375 H&H specifically in the era of the 375 Ruger. I swear I could open that Ruger breech and throw the round at it and it would chamber. Reloaded it has amazing range, 235 Speer and prairie deer loads all the way to anything I might encounter including Buicks.

Me, I would pick one of the Leupold 1-4 variables, their warranty sold me years ago. The best I could afford. If you are a little flush one of the European DG scopes with a big tube and no wandering eye relief. I'd use QD low rings with the straight tube DG scope, if the bolt lift allows it, and express sights set for 75 paces.

Sadly no-one ever chooses a receiver sight on these big thumping bolts anymore, for good reasons of course. My Ruger #1 was so unique with its peep sight. My old Rem 700 LH 7MM mag with a receiver sight was another. Some of the finest looking rifles ever built came from the pre-scope era. Ken Waters has some nice examples in his early writings.

Edit: ignore everything above. 86er submitted while I was writing. In such matters his experience and experimental nature makes him the last word for me. I'll leave my post up hoping there is some entertainment value.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I think something like this would be more to my taste. I'm not a fan of recoil... :lol:

http://medalsgonemissing.com/military-m ... poli-1915/
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

rjohns94 wrote:Eye relief is important and so is no cheek creep. .375 seems to be notorious for opening up eye brows. Scout mounted scopes might be good for that problem. Also, I have a problem with only lower power scopes because one of the features of the 375 is that it is so very versatile Not having the magnification to make an accurate ethical shot on game at the upper limits of the cartridge's range leaves you with the possibility of not using the rifle to it's full potential. Seems pointless in a one gun battery to limit one self in that way. For those reasons, I was thinking the 2x7 leu old filled the bill. I will have to give it a shot and see :wink:
I think the 2 x 7 makes for a more versatile rifle, the 1.5 x 5 and I have owned several of each. And it seems like I almost always go back to the 2 x 7 Leupold. Presonally I think it is a brighter scope when it starts getting dark and it just eaiser to make the longer shots, yet 2 power will get it done up close and fast. But on the other hand, one of the longest shots I ever made was with a 1.5 x 5. It was a coyote at about 350yds with my .308 BLR, but it now wears a 2 x7 and has for many years.

One thing I don't like about the 1.5 x 5's or similar scopes is the straight tube on the end vs. at least a 28 or 32mm bell. And the reason is because that little bitty glass is hard to clean if it gets dirty, and it takes a lot less to get it dirty and start compromising clarity until cleaned. One example is just get couple or rain drops on that tiny glass, it's agrivating, a bigger bell will handle a little bit more, but I don't like a big bell either with 40 to 42mm being about max for my use.

Also, you might want to look at one of the new Redfields in a 2 x 7. I recently put one on an AR 15 and so far I have been very happy with it, and it's made by Leupold, and $100.00 cheaper. For the money I think it's about the best out there, but it might be too soon to tell for sure. I am not real sure about the quality of the lense coatings, but my eye can't tell much difference, even at dusty dark.
NRA Life Member, Patron
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Ive had two rifles in the 375 H&H 1 whitworth & a model 70 they both wore 2x7 leupolds
I fired nearly 2000 rounds with them guns & never got cut or had a problem with the scopes

ollogger
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ok, another twist. 2x7 Leupold is a one inch tube. Any other scopes that match it's eye relief and durability in a 30 mm tube?
Mike Johnson,

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ok guys, thanks for the response. I have ordeed the scope Joe recommended and new 1 " rtalley qd rings. Rifle comes with 30mm rings , same color as the coated rifle, but I'm going to defer to the recommendations and reviews and put the 1" tube on the rifle. Will post pics when everything arrives and range testing is done.
Mike Johnson,

Mahukaawenui
Levergunner

Post by Mahukaawenui »

rjohns94 wrote:I have a 2x7 leupold and I'm thinking of putting it on a Dakota 97 outfitter in 375 h&h Enough eye relief? Will it hold up to shooting? Should I go for better glass? I'm thinking the power range is good and near 4 inches of eye relief should be good.
This may be an older thread but I'm new here. How do you like hat rifle?
I just bought a Dakota 97 375 H&H for my first Africa trip this summer.
I put a Leupold VX3 8.5-25X50 on it and am wondering if I might have too much scope on it now. I do have Talley QD rings so I can get it off pretty quick.
It seems like for game like the Buffalo it might just be better shooting with open sight.
Still breaking it in at about 70 rnds. My shoulder was a bit sore after the first week. Awesome rifle though!
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I love the rifle. I think your scope choice is a bit over scoped in power. I wound up putting a Swarovski variable scope on this rifle. I am very pleased with the scope and rifle. When are u going to Africa?
Mike Johnson,

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mahukaawenui wrote:I put a Leupold VX3 8.5-25X50 on it and am wondering if I might have too much scope on it now.
Christ I only use a Leupold Vari XIII 6.5-20 for working up loads or shooting groundhogs !

And thats on something with a heck of alot less recoil then a 375 H&H . I did have a Leupold Vari XIII 4.5-14AO on top the 375 when I was working up loads .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mahukaawenui wrote:It seems like for game like the Buffalo it might just be better shooting with open sight.
You're braver than I am - I'd want to be so far away from those big critters before I shot one that I'd need a 40x scope just to make out where the critter was.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "