SA Revolver Options - need some insight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

SA Revolver Options - need some insight

Post by Irelander »

Ok. I have recently gotten into the revolver world with a purchase of a S&W 629PC. I love that gun and I am having a custom holster made for it. So now I have this small addiction to revolvers...I know I know...you all said it would happen. So I am in need of a SA revolver. My personal preference is something with a short barrel (3.5" or 3.75") with a birdshead grip in 44SPL caliber. I have never shot a SA revolver with a birdshead grip but I like how small the grip is and makes a nice small revolver but I would consider a standard grip. I know that 44SPL might be stretch to find so I am ok with 45LC or 357MAG but would love to stay with the 44MAG/SPL since I already have the reloading equipment for it.

This gun will mostly be used for plinking, come along on hunting excursions, and possibly (if I get the right holster and practice enough) carrying concealed.

Keep in mind that I am fairly new to revolvers and very new to SA revolvers.

I have browsed the internet looking for guns that fit my bill from Ruger, USFA, Uberti, and Cimarron. I'll just give you all a little rundown on the ones I have looked at and you can tell me which ones to stay away from as far a quality issues and let me know if there are others to consider.

Ruger Vaquero
I have seen this in blued metal as well. Definitely like the looks of it but it is a little more pricey than some of the others. Only comes in 45LC.

Ruger Montado
Like it. Comes in 357MAG only.

USFA Storekeeper
I couldn't actually find this on the USFA website. Looks like a great gun but is way out of my price range. Only comes is 45LC as far as I know.

Cimarron Frontier
Definitely like the looks of this one. The price looks good too. 45LC only.

Cimarron Thunderer
Pretty much the same as the Frontier with a strange birdshead grip arrangement. Does come in 44SPL.
Anyone have experience with this grip shape?

Uberti 1873 Cattleman Bird's Head Old Model
Looks good. Comes in 44LC or 357MAG.

So that is my list of choices so far. As I said, the USFA guns are out because of the price. I just don't have the coin for one of those. I have heard others say that Uberti is not in the same league with Ruger or USFA. Can someone elaborate on that? Just curious about the Cimarron and Uberti guns since I don't know their brands too well.

Let me know if you have experience with any of these guns and which you can recommend and which to stay away from.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
piller
Posting leader...

Re: SA Revolver Options - need some insight

Post by piller »

I only have experience with Ruger, and recommend them highly. They are built strongly, they last a long time, and most of them are more accurate than the average shooter is capable of shooting. On the downside, they are not as smooth straight from the factory as some others, and they take a lot of time to break in to smoothness. I seriously doubt that the strength of the gun would ever be a problem with .44 Special if loads are kept within SAAMI specs since the .44 Special is not a high pressure round. If you find yourself wanting more power, and you did say you had a 629, then you might look Freedom Arms.
A 629 and a smaller pistol in .44 Special sounds like a lot of fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

If you think you might want to be able to hear your grandchildren as they talk among themselves, and maybe even your wife as you get older, scrap the idea of a 357 mag. Get something that starts with a "4". Don't ask me how I know.. (If you do ask me, speak in a clear voice slowly so I can understand you). Did I mention you might want to think about hearing protection?
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I know you were leaning towards a .44, but since you were thinking of concealed carry I would reallly give the little Ruger Montado some serious thought. Very dependable, you can safely carry all six beans in it, and good defence rounds are easy to come up with. .357 reloading components are easy to find, and .38 spl. loads are fun for the whole family to shoot. The traditional grip frame fits me better than the birds head but I wouldn't mind halving one too.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Well, in the world of SASS the bird-head grips are preferred by many of the ladies. They fit smaller hands well.

Cimarron is just an importer of Uberti, like Navy or whoever is doing it this week. However, Cimarron seems to hold Uberti to better QC and usually gives better service.

You are right about USFA being expensive, you can buy a Colt for about the same price. The plus about Ruger is that it is like owning an anvil. You can't tear it up and it is made in the USA. But then I feels like holding and anvil if you're used to shooting Colts. Lots of SASS shooters use them and no one runs a single action harder than we do. Properly set up, the Ubertis will last a good long time but don't expect them to be perfect out of the box. Not bad, just not perfect. They are a little heavier made than the Colt/USFA. Generally you have to measure things to realize they are slightly beefier. Look at the top strap for instance, and the cylinder is .040 bigger in dia.

The bird-head grip is OK, I kinda like it and you're right, it is easier to conceal. For controlability (is that a word?) they are pretty round in cross section and the standard grip helps with this. Some of the importers sell a tuned version with thin grip panels like the Evil Roy or named after some other World Champion. Depends on the importer. Look at Taylors.

If you like the .44 Special, by all means get one. Skeeter Skelton was not wrong. Neither is his son Bart.

If you get the Ruger you will have to settle for (I think) 44 Mag and just shoot Specials in it. Not a bad thing. But I have heard some say that Ruger is going to make the New Vaquero in 44 Special. We can only hope.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

M. M. Wright wrote:...I have heard some say that Ruger is going to make the New Vaquero in 44 Special. We can only hope.
Any guess as to when the new Vaquero is being released?

Glock Certified Armorer
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Don't sweet the cartridge selection too much especially if you reload. .44sp vs. .45c are pretty similar and the .357 has a whole different set of advantages (especially if you don't reload).

I know you called the Thunderer's grip "strange" but that's the way they were back in the day so if you're interested in correct looks than it's the only option.

I can't speak for most of the birdsheads but I really like the Rugers. I have "wide" hands and it's far from being too small for me. The front of the grip is the same length/height and the mid-section is the same as the traditional Ruger SA grips. From what I can tell the only part that is missin is the back corner. And yes, the birdshead conceals very well and better than many smaller guns. Now I'm gonna clarify things a little here and say mine is a .32H&R. Would I like the grips as well with heavy .357s or .44M's? Can't say.

As for which gun...... The Rugers are probably the least correct yet the best guns IMO.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

I forgot to mention this one...

Ruger Super Blackhawk

When I was looking for a 44MAG revolver a lot of guys were directing me to this gun. I was set on a DA revolver so I disregarded it. Maybe I should take another look. Not the most concealable revolver though. This model does not appeal to me as much as the others.

Glock Certified Armorer
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you're set on 'single-action', consider one of the Ruger 'convertable' revolvers - i.e. .45 Colt/.45 ACP or .357 Mag/9mm. I think you can still find both of them around, and ALSO check out a 'Bisley' grip model before deciding. Especially with the higher-recoil rounds the Bisley is WAY better.

Personally, I'd just pick whichever one you're more likely to shoot a levergun in (.357 Mag or .45 Colt). You can add a 9mm or .45 ACP (including carbines as well as pistols) 'companion gun' later, and have lots of guns, but not too many cartridges to reload/buy. Plus, if you don't reload, slipping in the 9mm or .45 ACP cylinder is a convenient way to get light/practice loads (that still are darned good self-defense rounds).

If I had to just own one gun, it might be my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in .45 Colt/ACP - it fires a huge variety of ammo in terms of power, and can serve as a halfway-decent CCW piece, hunting gun, plinking gun, and home-defense gun few would dare confront.

If you're considering 'concealable' you still might want to think in 'double-action' mode...

In that case, you can't go wrong with (again) a Ruger. If you wear loose clothing and don't live in super-hot areas where you're outside alot, you can easily conceal a Redhawk in .45 Colt (sweet) or .44 Magnum (cool) or (if you want to be 'different') find one in .41 mag or .357 Mag. If you wear clothing less favorable to large-frame guns, a Speed-Six is a perfect CCW gun available in .357 Mag, and the modern version GP-101 is probably just as good. If you want adjustable sights, versions like the Security-Six are around, and if you want even smaller, go with the SP-101 in .357 Mag (or if you want to be 'different) find one in .327 Mag.

The 'other' gun I might consider as my 'only-one-gun' gun would be my Redhawk .45 Colt - it's in a sabotable caliber (if ammo restrictions got absurd, you could shoot pea-gravel or ball-bearings with .45 sabots), not a politically-incorrect 'magnum' (if you had to actually use it in self-defense), and offers as much power as most people can accurately direct in a handgun. (If you are power-hungry, just get a Freedom Arms single-action in .454 Casull...)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Good points AJMD429. I do have a Rossi 92 in 44MAG and the 629 so a 44SPL or MAG makes a lot of sense to me. I'm pretty set on a single action as I have my 629 for double action duty. I will look into the convertibles that you mentioned. I do have to say that I like the looks of the Vaquero style guns over the Blackhawk models.

Considering the ammo commonality, I think I am leaning towards the Cimarron Thunderer in 44SPL. I would like to at least hold one to see how it feels in my hand. Same goes for all of the guns I have mentioned. Not too many gun shops around here have a selection of single action revolvers. I will be looking out for a used Ruger Vaquero in 45LC too.

Glock Certified Armorer
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I like all of the guns you showed and have several. The Rugers are made like tanks and just work. Also, with their transfer bar safety system they can carry with 6.

They are made in .45ACP also. Mine:

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A loaded down .44mag, 44 Special, or a 45 Colt will, IME, be more useful than a full power .357....Big bullet, low pressure loads are sort of quiet, and very effective on stuff..... .432 Round Ball loads with a dash of powder will be great plinkers or small game getters.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Irelander wrote:I would like to at least hold one to see how it feels in my hand. Same goes for all of the guns I have mentioned. Not too many gun shops around here have a selection of single action revolvers.
Yep. I had made myself a wood grip for my Super Blackhawk .44 Mag when I was a teenager, and it worked pretty well, but just hated the 'knuckle rap' of the factory grips, and it was NOT the 'square trigger guard', but the fact that with long fingers, your knuckles just are going to be in the wrong place at the wrong time if the grip is too slim, plus if you have wide hands, the little finger just curls up useless under the grip.

Finally, the pawn shop where my son works had a Super Blackhawk with Bisley grips, and I got to handle it. Should have bought it, but it was 'scoped' and the extra cost for the scope didn't thrill me, because I'm not into scoped revolvers. Anyway, at least I knew how a Bisley grip felt...!

Same for any other grip or aspect of a handgun. Ideally, if you close your eyes and pick the gun up and get into your 'shooting position', when you open your eyes, it should be already lined up, whatever the grip/gun in question is.

For me, the Bisley Super Blackhawk was the bees-knees, even though I could do without the full-rib thing.
(picture linked to off Ruger.com website)

I like the looks of them without the rib better, but they don't have them in stainless...

The non-Bisley ones may be a pain to shoot, but are beautifully proportioned...

Then again, a Redhawk is hard to beat...

. . . but I digress . . . :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Those that have either been speculating on--or indicating Ruger has not produced--a New Vaquero in .44 Sp are way behind on the news. Three years ago, trailing the Lipseys .44 Sp Flattop by nine months or so, they intro'd a Lipsey's distributed New Vaquero as well--in two barrel lengths and finishes. I do not know current production status but they're out there.

The OP can come VERY close to his ideal in getting one of the New Vaquero Sheriff variants...at .3.75" barrel length is is essentially a ".44 Sp Montado" minus the Montado"s special SBH profile hammer (which can be swapped in after purchase if desired). This gun has the standard New Vaquero (aka midframe Flattop as well) plowhandle grip. I say, "get the gun, THEN sweat the details of grip," meaning secure the basic gun you want and work to secure--or have custom built--a birdshead gripframe if that becomes/remains paramount.
(Important note of clarification to the above: Ruger has chosen to confusingly label the New Vaquero .44 Specials just "Vaquero" on the frame. Rest assured, they are the midframe New Vaqueros. All factory .44 Special are midframes.)

NV-Montado (.357) top, .44 Sp NV-Sheriff bottom w/ added Montado hammer.

Also, another correction: the Montado is/was made in .45 Colt as well.

For what the OP's seeking, find a New Vaquero .44 Sp Sheriff and never look back, IMO.

Edit: I should add the Uberti/Cimarron is a fine gun as well. I have a tuned .44 Special in a 5.5" Cimarron Model P (standard plowhandle grip) that's one of my favorite guns. But, you "cannot" load 6 safely like the Ruger if that is important to you, and I would uess the Ruger is a more ruged choice over time. Can't beat the snick-snick feel of the Colt-inspired designs either however. Regarding the birdshead variant(s), the Uberti-style (which is sized and styled more similar to the original Colt--smaller and more differently contoured--versus Ruger's) is not for everyone or every load...but I'll grant then again what is? My guess is the plowhandle (of either make) or Ruger's birdshead will please more people more of the time though.
Last edited by gak on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

You forgot a couple. Beretta Stampede and Laramie. Not built like a tank.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

olyinaz wrote:I like all of the guns you showed and have several. The Rugers are made like tanks and just work. Also, with their transfer bar safety system they can carry with 6.

Cheers,
Oly

+1
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

There are many other options ... here's two:

.357 converted to .45 ACP by Alpha Precision
Cosby Custom Guns did the topstrap remmodeling, the remarking and nickel finish.

.45 Colt built by Reeder Custom Guns

More photos of both here -> http://www.leverguns.com/acp/bigbore_bellyguns.htm
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

gak,

Thanks! I am so glad to hear that a .44SPL Vaquero was made.

I like the one pokey found on gunbroker.com. If I can scrape up the cash, I just might get it.

I have pretty much decided that I'm going with Ruger anyway. I have been trying to make conscious decisions to buy American and I also want to be able to carry all six rounds in the cylinder.

Glock Certified Armorer
biggfoot44
Levergunner

Post by biggfoot44 »

I have an almost pair of 3.5in , std grip (old) Vaqueros. Yes I occasionally CCW one. The grip shape is not a limiting factor. Std grips work well with almost everyone , various birdsheads and Bisley's are a more variable matter of taste.

With any Ruger/ SAA clone it is a fairly large gun, with substantial frame and cylnder dimentions ( compared to usual CCW DA revolver in J frame-ish to K frame-ish sizes. With *most* holster/ clothing combinations not a huge difference between 3.5 , 3.75 , 4.0 , and 4 5/8 .

FWIW mine were nonCatalogued distributor run shortly before the later factory Sheriff Mdls.

Wow ! I know I only occasionally stop by here , but it seems my previous post count has been Ethnic Cleansed.
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

I have owned a LOT of various single action revolvers over the last 45 years and carried a variety of them, as large as a 71/2" Super Blackhawk...in a shoulder holster under a flannel shirt or jacket.

Although I like Rugers, I prefer the feel of a flat spring gun, in other words a traditional SAA type. Right now I have a Cimmaron Evil Roy 5 1/2" .357 magnum, and I love it. It is extremely accurate, very well finished and the smoothest SAA I have ever shot. I like the .357 because I am retired and I'm simplifying my guns to some pretty standard readily available and not very expensive calibers...In revolvers, that means .357 magnum, which also uses .38 Spl. Versatile, available at the local Walmart-and almost everywhere else- and factory loaded in a great variety of bullet weights and types.

I really like the .45 Colt, and before I retired I had a lot of guns in various calibers, including .44 Mag and.45 Colt...I was planning on spending time handloading, with a lot of time at the range. This did not work out. Instead, I sold a lot of my guns in other calibers and standardized on the .357...and 1 1911 in .45 ACP.

I also want to say that I have had a Ruger old style Vaquero convertible, .45 Colt and .ACP. It looked great, but was very inaccurate and as much as I liked it I sold it.

Whatever you decide on, I have no problems with the idea of carrying a SA revolver...I have shot them enough to be familiar with them and to shoot them pretty well. I might have only 5 quick shots, but those first 5 targets will be in deep trouble.

it's a good idea to carry 2 Bianchi speed strips with 5 - or 6 - rounds of reload ammo...they are a bit faster to load than just fishing the rounds out of a pocket or ammo wallet. Also, if you are anticipating trouble, load that SAA with all 6 and put it on half cock...just for a short time. You will be OK with it,even though it violates a "rule".

Good luck with whatever you decide.

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

JimT wrote:There are many other options ... here's two:

.357 converted to .45 ACP by Alpha Precision
Cosby Custom Guns did the topstrap remmodeling, the remarking and nickel finish.

.45 Colt built by Reeder Custom Guns

More photos of both here -> http://www.leverguns.com/acp/bigbore_bellyguns.htm
Those are some sweet looking sixguns!

Glock Certified Armorer
biggfoot44
Levergunner

Post by biggfoot44 »

Heck for ideal choice I like 3 Screw Rugers for balance nd feel. But the OP seemed to be focused on newly mfg.
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

I have always like the late 19th century victorian looks of the british bulldog. I have a modest collection of these old guns from 22 to 44 cal.

About 3 or 4 years ago I decided I would take some Uberti SAA parts I had here and put together my version. I already had the top one but it just didn't quite fit the bill. So, with the parts I put the second together. At the time no one offered a Bisley hammer that would drop in a SAA and not interfere with the grip backstrap. So I welded a bisley upper to the SAA lower hammer. I had to order the Thunderer grip frame and VTI had a sale on the 3.5" barrels, too. It's still not finished. I need to take it apart and have it plated.
But, while I'm working on this Uberti in my spare time the EMF folks came out the exact same gun. It's the third one down and is their Stainless version made by Pietta.

All three of the SAA's are 45lc. The Original F&W Bulldog is a five shot 44.

Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015

Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Thanks for all the input guys. I just clicked the Buy It Now on this guy http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =291650614. Thanks goes to pokey for giving me the heads up on that auction.

I should have it in my possession next week. I will post up some pics when I do.

Now I need to find some 44SPL brass. Where's the best deal for brass?

Glock Certified Armorer
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have owned this cimmeron arms thunderer in .45 colt and .45 acp for many years. It`s made by uberti. I havent shot it much but the grips feel great!

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Here is a old colt single action I have. Somewhere I found a short barrel and ejector in .44 probley made by christy. I had it mounted on a 1906 already once converted colt to .44 special. I didnt like it as the ejector was so short it wasnt functional and converted it back.

Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

I believe you will like that pistol a lot.

When your gun fund comes full again, you might want to look at the Charter Arms Bulldog. (I love to help other guys spend their money.)
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Nice gun and good luck!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:[

For me, the Bisley Super Blackhawk was the bees-knees, even though I could do without the full-rib thing.

I like the looks of them without the rib better, but they don't have them in stainless...
Say what?? Sure they do! I have one!! :D

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =297098272

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Four of the type(s) we're talking about here at LGS in Phoenix area. Two .44 Sp NV's --one blue I THINK was 4-5/8, one SS Sheriff 3.75--a .45 Colt Montado, and one of the new .45ACP midframe (NV) SS Birdsheads (with SBH hammer etc)...all NIB.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Make and style of revolver can remain your choice; but, if you reload for .45ACP, the Cowboy45Special can be loaded using your current ACP dies with just a .45Colt shell holder. After I load up a bunch of .45ACP on my Dillon, I just change over to the .45Colt shellplate and continue on. Handy, easy and convienent.

Use the same bullets, primers, and loads. Works great in my SAAs and whenn I finish the mods to my 1894 Marlin, ooughta be like poppcorn thru a goose!

Brass is available from our own Adirondack Jack.

And if you don't load the .45ACP, ya NEED a 1911 anyway! :P :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Irelander wrote: Thanks goes to pokey
de nada. 8)
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

My Vaquero should be here tomorrow. I am already looking into aftermarket parts for it from Power Custom. Thinking about a Bisley hammer. I think I will hold off on any modifications until I shoot it for a while.

I still need some 44SPL brass. I was going to order some Starline brass from MidwayUSA but I thought there might be a better deal out there. I saw that Natchez had the same Starline brass for a little cheaper but the shipping was going to be $18.00. That is insane! Shipping from Midway was only about $9. Let me know if you see any good deals on 44SPL brass.

Glock Certified Armorer
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Why not from Starline direct? .44Spl brass on b/o, available 08/08/12

Another place to check from time to time for specials is Top Brass
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Griff wrote:Why not from Starline direct? .44Spl brass on b/o, available 08/08/12
I was just looking to get 100-200 rounds. I'm cheap so I didn't want to spend the money on 500 rounds.

Glock Certified Armorer
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Well, here she is - my Ruger Vaquero in 44SPL (in front of my Rossi 92 in 44MAG)

Now I just need a holster and some 44SPL brass.

Glock Certified Armorer
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Great looking combo!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great looking pair. I like the single actions but with my small hands really like the birds head grips and in WV we have to have at least a 4 inch barrel to hunt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Remember how I was wanting a birdshead gripframe with my 44SPL Vaquero? Well I've been looking into getting a birdshead gripframe and low and behold a gentleman over on Rugerforum.com wants to trade me a birdshead frame for my plow handle frame. He is sending me his frame and I will check it out and make sure it fits before sending mine out to him. I can't wait for it to arrive. If I decide to keep and when I get it all put together I'll post up some pics. YEEHAW!

Glock Certified Armorer
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Nice looking piece, though I favor a 5.5" on a Peacemaker, and a standard grip.

I leave birdshead grips on Webleys, where I prefer them.

Didn't realize they'd made some .44 Spl New Vaqueros.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

I like my guns small and concealable if need be. I have a very thin frame so hiding a revolver is hard as it is, but would only be harder with a longer barrel.

The 44SPL New Vaquero was a Lipsey's special.
Last edited by Irelander on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glock Certified Armorer
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Good looking piece!!
You are going to love it.
Currently I have 4 pairs of Vaquaros. Both .357 and .45.
All great shooters. :wink:
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

olyinaz wrote:I like all of the guns you showed and have several. The Rugers are made like tanks and just work. Also, with their transfer bar safety system they can carry with 6.

Cheers,
Oly

Holy stuff that must be the best looking revolver i have ever seen... i want one in .45 acp :)
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

wilko wrote:

Cheers,
Oly

Holy stuff that must be the best looking revolver i have ever seen... i want one in .45 acp :)
Agreed! Great gun and great picture. That's computer wallpaper worthy.

Glock Certified Armorer
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I have my fair share of small and concealable pieces, I wouldn't put a Peacemaker in that category.

Having hidden a full size M9 in a uniform not cut to hide one, and at various times a full size 1911, 4" .357 (double action) and a mix of other large autos, hiding the barrel is the easy part, and the longer barrel/slide helps using an IWB holster to keep the gun from moving around so much.
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

Run, don't walk to your nearest gun store and buy a Ruger .22/22 mag. You will shoot that pistol for the rest of your life. The .22 LR makes a great plinker and the .22 mag is a powerful and a potentially dangerous round. The fun of owning a revolver is shooting it. Having a great .22 makes shooting it more likely. You can teach your wife to shoot one too. Then tell her you need another one...not wife....pistol.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I don't have small hands but I love birdshead grips (I like how they roll in my hand after you touch one off) and I really like either the Super Blackhawk or Montado hammer on my Rugers. That .45 ACP piece came from the factory just about PERFECT for me!

Cimarron is making a new model called the Thunderstorm that I really like also. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for one.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright