Stoney Point shooting sticks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ScottT
Shootist

Stoney Point shooting sticks

Post by ScottT »

I have to put in a plug for the Stoney Point shooting sticks. These are alumninum jointed rods joined together by a rubbery protected V notch.

These are a very simple solution to an age old problem.....how to get you up out of the grass, but still maintain an accurate shooting rest.

I'm using the Magnum Steady Sticks and I could not be more pleased. These have a little heavier tubes and I think they are a bit more rugged.

It is no longer uncommon for me to shoot groups around 1 inch at 100yds with several rifles from a seated position over these sticks. They are lightweight and fold up to a very small package.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

For my rifles, I still like my Harris bipods. They are sturdy, light and always with you. I have thought about making my own set of sticks for shooting my pistol this coming deer season.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I used a Harris bipod for years on heavy barrelled bolt guns. It gets the job done. Off a bench or prone, they are almost up to a good sandbag rest if properly deployed.

But they get cumbersome if you need one to be long enough for sitting. Also, some rifles just don't work well with a Harris. I could not imagine one of them on my Sharps or a lightweight levergun.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've shot off the Shootin' Stix and they are very nice. I've even made up sticks using fiberglass electric fence poles painted camo and some 550 cord. However, the Harris, while effective, is cumbersome for my guns which are almost all relatively short and light.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've used a set of Stoney Point sticks for years - but they're out on loan since last year, to a close friend who's had to switch to shooting off his left shoulder after right-eye surgery failed him.

The sticks took him from 1' @ 50 yard sized groups w/o them, to "minute-of-deer-heart" groups - 'cause now he's blind in one eye, and can't see out the other :wink:

Oh. well - At least they're keeping him in the game.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I make my own sticks. Using any type oak, or other suitable hardwood,
(these are unfinished cherry, made for the prone position. I build 3 sizes, prone, sitting, kneeling. Each pair made to order, don't keep any in stock, sales are few and far between. (Blatant ad!) :oops: The stakes are legal for NRA PBCR, inletted into the wood, so they maintain a smooth profile. I only use all stainless hardware (including the stakes; have used galvanized, but they are not as nice) and have not had one set of the 50 or so I've sold returned. Don't know if that's good, or just plain laziness. At $75 for oak, $100 for walnut or cherry, they ain't cheap by any means. Oh, yea offer mesquite, but finding some sizes in straight lengths will mean that price can vary a lot! (last set I made were over $300 for the wood alone!) :roll: Almost felt guilty when I quote the guy $500 and he said, "ok", like it was no big deal! Beau d’arc I have in my pasture, and make nice sticks also. But, the cost in saw and router blades makes 'em impractical. 8)

I ship them with a wingnut and a stainless nylok nut for semi-permanent locating. The number of holes allows a lot of variation in height.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I very much like the Stoney Point Magnum sticks like ScottT describes. They are light and portable.

For a couple of years we have been purchasing picture stands (aka display stands) at the local arts and crafts store or sometimes on sale at Office Depot. They are foldable tripods with extendable legs from 22" - 72". Made of aluminum, they are very lightweight and durable. Take the two clamps off that hold the picture, or leave them to hand accessories on - like binos. To reduce weight a little more, the 3-point bracket that is attached to all the legs in the middle can be removed. A little camo paint and your in! Too tall for prone but great for sitting, kneeling or standing. Best part is they cost as little as $14.99 on sale.

I'll try to get a picture later.

For a commercial, ready to use product I still like the Stoney Point.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

What actually got me interested in the Stoney Point products is the seemingly widespread use by guides in Africa. Seems to really help with clients who are handicapped by too much time spent at the bench, and not enough time at field position shooting.

I'm all for things that make the job easier as long as they are not cumbersom to use.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I have shot off of sticks for years now, just really help hold it all steady open sites or with a scope. I use Underwood sticks and they have held up very well.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Here is the tripod I referred to in my previous reply. Folded up with the doorknob for reference and extended for standing shooting position.