I didnt shoot my chrony but

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

I didnt shoot my chrony but

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I learned that a 223Rem in a 20" barrel will rip and tear a 5" long gash in a military sleeping bag. especially when you let muzzle slide back a little too far :oops: Just spent 15 minutes sewing it up. Forgot my carpet and didnt put an old blanket over it like I usually do. Any one else have a slip up like that ?
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Thu May 17, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: I didnt shoot my chrony but

Post by Blaine »

:lol: :lol: The ports on my Guide Gun will blow holes in stuff that is under them, too :oops:

(Bestlever shot my chrony with his .357 Rossi :lol: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I learned way back in high school that a .22 bullet will gouge a truck hood when using it as a shooting rest and not practicing proper muzzle control.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My brother cleared the mirror with the scope, but not the muzzle :shock:
vanilla_gorilla
Levergunner

Post by vanilla_gorilla »

All I'm saying is that I know first hand what a 180 grain JSP at 1650 fps from a 629 will do to a chrono. :evil:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I knew that little hole under the forend of an M1-A that people want to use to put in a bipod sling-stud is NOT to be used for that purpose, as it is a 'vent' hole, but it took my cousin to 'demonstrate' that enough stuff comes out of that hole to rip a fake-leather sandbag-rest in a major way...

I wouldn't want to fire an M1-A with my finger over that hole...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

I did that to my Dad's coat with a .32 Remington.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Dad picked up a new rifle in .264 Rem Mag once, and on the way home from his second shift job, couldn't resist touching one off out the passenger side window of his van, sending the bullet out into a swamp along the lonely road he'd stopped on, and the side mirror glass to the ground. Muzzle blast from a .264 is wicked.
Certified gun nut
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The early series Land Rover used to have a fold down windscreen and the spare tire mounted on the bonnet.
It wasn't me but I've heard that tire say "PPSSSSSSSSSSS" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've learned that a gas check will put a good dent in a chrony. :?
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I lost a side mirror to a .22-250 shot at a prairie dog. Wife laughed and laughed. :cry:

I have an acquaintance who owns a body shop, says his business picks up a little every hunting season fixing bullet gouges and muzzleblast damage to hoods. :P
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

OH Yea. you outta see what a 375H&H does to the
hood of a pickup :shock:

ollogger
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Logger :D

Had some loads I made up with old surplus 4831. Burn rate slowed way down I am thinking - burning kernels burned up the face of my chrony.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

1894c

Post by 1894c »

know an LEO who had an AD in the trunk of his patrol car...went through the trunk, missed gas-tank, and made a big .40S&W 180gr. Gold-Dot dent is the road... :)
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

KirkD wrote:I've learned that a gas check will put a good dent in a chrony. :?
So that's where my "mystery dent" came from! I always wondered how the heck I put a considerable "ding" in the old chrony (actually it was brand new at the time) without blowing it to smithereens. Of course -- it was the gas check. I shoulda' figured that!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

A 7mm Rem. mag. is proven to be an efficient one-shot killer by muzzle-blast alone......if your quarry is the side mirror on a pick-up. :mrgreen:
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

First time I shot my IZH 94 12 gauge over 6.5x55 I did not take into account the rifle barrel being an inch and a half under the sights and the raised rib in the midle of my Ford hood.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

fun thread, but happily, I can't add to it.
Knock on tiger-stripe maple.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I graduated to shooting chrony Beta after I shot the F1 twice in several years. Both times shooting ultra low velocity loads out of handguns in cold weather, and the bullets shot really low. In my own defense, IO have shot more handgun rounds over a chrony than mostr do in several lifetimes. So yeah, even chefs and butchers cut themselves. Then there is the hole in my workshop door, which I left as a reminder ADs can happen (.45 levergun, cycled after a repair using live rounds.....
Certified gun nut
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I knew a guy in Sacramento years ago, big time highpower shooter, dry firing at home one day with his M-14, shot the door knob off his across-the-street neighbor's front door. He was kind of a blowhard so the news was greeted gleefully by the rest of us. :D
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Some years back I was target shooting with a Dan Wesson .357 Magnum revolver equipped with a 15" barrel. It started to rain so I got in the cab of my Ford truck to wait it out. Getting impatient, I rolled the driver's door window down about half way and slid that long barrel out to shoot some more. At the first shot the window completely shattered. I knew the barrel was well out the window, so i could only conclude it was either blast from the cylinder gap or maybe the bottom of the barrel bouncing onto the glass. Either way, it was a cold and wet ride back home, and $50 for a new window. :oops:

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta