How do you get around?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

How do you get around?

Post by tomtex »

When you Hunt, do you use Canoes, Boats, Hunting mules, Jeeps or other types of vehicles ,and will you tell us about them, and how they help you in your adventures?
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Re: How do you get around?

Post by t.r. »

I hunt deer within archery only zones of northern Maryland. Plenty of public lands at remote reservoirs. But a small canoe takes me to places that are loaded with white oak trees. The hunting is almost too easy.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

I wish I had a good hunting mule, the type you ride up to a fence, and get off him, and he then jumps the fence, as you go between the fence wires, and then mount your mule and continue your travel.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I use horses to hunt, theres hundreds of miles of gated roads here no vehicles just walk or ride stock. And as Iam old school I ride horses and pack mules. danny
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

This appears to be a less populated version of this topic: How do you get around? :P :lol: :lol:

I knew I'd responded... and wondered, "...where'd my post go?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I walk in, but with my really screwed-up back, it's liable to be only a few hundred yards from the truck(the Ranger I've talked about). :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

It is only foot traffic allowed as I hunt on mostly public land. Some times I use a canoe to get to remote areas but you can't shoot from them unless anchored.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Griff wrote:This appears to be a less populated version of this topic: How do you get around? :P :lol: :lol:

I knew I'd responded... and wondered, "...where'd my post go?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gee, and I thought I was loosing it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Over the years I used a variety of 4X4s. Land Rover, Ford Bronco and pickups, Toyota Land Cruiser pickup style, and now a Jeep TJ. For hunting pickups shine, for getting in and out in marginal conditions I'm sold on my TJ but nowhere to put anything.

I also used a homemade prospector canoe for years as a wilderness solo cruiser. I don't hunt much these days but have a plan to hunt a deer from it with my flintlock health permitting.

I must admit to being less a fan of motorized quads and such as time goes on. The greatest risk to a hiker these days is getting run over by a drunk on a quad. If used responsibly they are a valuable tool but unfortunately the tools are driving them. This coming weekend there will thousands upon thousands of such vehicles in the finest forest south of the Territories.

I am often saddened by the opening of the Canadian wilderness in the last 50 years. My livelihood depends on bush access and I enjoy the back country dearly but my own love for it is diminishing it.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

This won't get me across the swamp, but it does help for a lot of things.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Shanks's Pony :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

round round get around, I get around.................wwwwhhhheeeeooooo

I use the Jeep to get there, and from there on in, its good 'ole 2 feet-----keeps me healthy. :D ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sixgun wrote:round round get around, I get around.................wwwwhhhheeeeooooo

I use the Jeep to get there, and from there on in, its good 'ole 2 feet-----keeps me healthy. :D ------------Sixgun

Same here.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
zzr7ky
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zzr7ky »

Hi -

I like the boot leather route most times. I'm also keen to canoe in, Especially when a heavy load is called for.

I do admit that the 4 wheeled motor mules are are mighty handy for extracting dressed deer. It sure gets us out of the bush and in bed earlier in the evening.

The more I think on it I'm pretty game for any way of getting out away from town & off the grid ; )
ATB,
Mike P
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Canuck Bob wrote: I must admit to being less a fan of motorized quads and such as time goes on. The greatest risk to a hiker these days is getting run over by a drunk on a quad. If used responsibly they are a valuable tool but unfortunately the tools are driving them. .
Aint that the truth!! :x I have just about quit hunting because of these dang things.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Usually ride the Leather Personnell Carriers in and out. I was going to reply someway about getting a round out of the box to put in my firearm, but that would have been just too much oa a bad pun to worry about.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

my ranger or most likely if it's just me one of my horses.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Lately (last couple of years) --- just ran my truck in as far as i felt like going , then got on Pat'n Charlie for the last mile to the stand -- not too adventurous i know. The last doe i shot, i just had to hike back to the truck -- then drive back and back up to her. Just the terrain i hunt in, Western OK has a lot of desert-like areas. When i hunted Eastern Ok (much more tree cover ) - it was mostly on foot with occasional 4wd assistance --------- been wanting to train my horse and also get a little mule to go hunting with though. That would be a fun way to get them out of the corral
----- Doug
1894c

Post by 1894c »

we set up base camp, which is usually miles from any town...we get there on Forrest Service roads...then when we hunt we walk...we discovered as many have in the past that you need to get off the beaten trail in order to see game...some guys that hunt in our area use their quads and road hunt the fire-breaks (they usually see nothing, they call is hunting i call it trolling).

we're not mountain men, but the guys i go with have no issue in hunting a couple of miles from camp, and yes when we get a deer it can be a tough long hike out (last year it took us over three hours to get a deer out, really thick stuff)...we did buy a game hauler a few years back, which helps, but someone has to hike back to retrieve it.

i can see when i get older that i may not be able to go the distance that i'm accustomed too, but i will adapt, overcome, and look for a golf cart style rig too (that's a neat set-up)...i can see myself turning to the caddy and tell him that i think i need the 45/70 for that shot... :)
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I hunt deer in the northern (Adirondack) zone of NY, on foot, generally in snow. Brother and I used a small jon boat a few times to avoid walking around a lake, but on state land, no motorized vehicles are allowed. A long slog out over bad, bare ground might mean cutting a pole to make a drag (like the Indians did), but that'd be rare, and terrain dependent. I carry 1/8" braided nylon rope and will generally cut a stick for a T handle to attach to the rope and drag em if we have snow. Deer in the 'dacks can sometimes dress out at 180-200 lbs, but 100-150 is more common.
Certified gun nut
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Being surrounded by small privetly owned plots we drive our truck to the hunting spot and then walk. We've tried using ATV's for coon hunting and occasionally draging deer outta the bush but found hauling them around from place to place sucked.

If I was in public BLM type country I'd take the F150 where I could and still walk after that.

LK
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

It's odd . No won use a Bicycle?
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

tomtex wrote:It's odd . No won use a Bicycle?
No, but due to the fact that it's about impossible to hide a truck in many parts of Iowa while predator callin I've often thought about using my bike to get from stand to stand.

LK
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

tomtex wrote:It's odd . No won use a Bicycle?

ImageImage

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I get around on foot. 90% of the time I leave my house, walk out the back door and I can walk for days without seeing a vehicle.

The other 10% of the time I drive to where ever I want to hunt, park and hike.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
1894c

Post by 1894c »

adirondakjack wrote:I hunt deer in the northern (Adirondack) zone of NY, on foot, generally in snow. Brother and I used a small jon boat a few times to avoid walking around a lake, but on state land, no motorized vehicles are allowed. A long slog out over bad, bare ground might mean cutting a pole to make a drag (like the Indians did), but that'd be rare, and terrain dependent. I carry 1/8" braided nylon rope and will generally cut a stick for a T handle to attach to the rope and drag em if we have snow. Deer in the 'dacks can sometimes dress out at 180-200 lbs, but 100-150 is more common.
i miss hunting in the adirondacks...but have switched over to the cascades mts. ...dragged out deer the same way... :)