2 New to me Winchesters and I need some reloading advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

2 New to me Winchesters and I need some reloading advice

Post by allhands »

I recently purchased 2 Winchesters!!!!! Call me crazy, and no, I didn't hit the lottery, I just decided to trade in some of my "modern" rifles for guns that are not being made anymore. (I Know I owe you all some pics, they will be up Mon or Tues.)
The first is a Model 1894 in .32 Spec. that was made in 1907, the second in 32-40 made in 1910. Regarding the 32-40, I was really on the fence about it due to it's "marginal" ballistics for deer, but after being a member of this forum for a while, I considered what hunters have used in the past. (And not what the newest super-fast-ultra-magnum-you can't shoot a deer with less than this power-cartridge-gun magazine article said.) The bore is "good" so I put to all of you....How much power can I wring out of this rifle? I plan to use 170 gr. jacketed bullets, the same as my 2 .32 specials. Any pet loads or advice? I have ordered 1 box of loaded ammo with 165 gr lead rounds at around 1300 fps, and I have an old Lyman reloading book which recommends some, but I want to know what all you guys think and draw on your experiences. My thanks in advance for your help, and I promise to post pics tomorrow after I finish turkey hunting. Maybe I'll post pics of a turkey too!!!!!!!
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
Hobie

Re: 2 New to me Winchesters and I need some reloading advice

Post by Hobie »

If you need more gun, get a bigger gun. You already have with the .32 WS. Load the .32-40 with reasonable loads and enjoy long brass life. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What Hobie said. The regular old .32-40 loads should do the job - the deer aren't any tougher now than they were 100 years ago.

If you want to do longer-range hunting than our forefathers did with those cartridges, then get something chambered in a 'hotter' round.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

allhands wrote:I recently purchased 2 Winchesters!!!!! Call me crazy, and no, I didn't hit the lottery, I just decided to trade in some of my "modern" rifles for guns that are not being made anymore. (I Know I owe you all some pics, they will be up Mon or Tues.)
The first is a Model 1894 in .32 Spec. that was made in 1907, the second in 32-40 made in 1910. Regarding the 32-40, I was really on the fence about it due to it's "marginal" ballistics for deer, but after being a member of this forum for a while, I considered what hunters have used in the past. (And not what the newest super-fast-ultra-magnum-you can't shoot a deer with less than this power-cartridge-gun magazine article said.) The bore is "good" so I put to all of you....How much power can I wring out of this rifle? I plan to use 170 gr. jacketed bullets, the same as my 2 .32 specials. Any pet loads or advice? I have ordered 1 box of loaded ammo with 165 gr lead rounds at around 1300 fps, and I have an old Lyman reloading book which recommends some, but I want to know what all you guys think and draw on your experiences. My thanks in advance for your help, and I promise to post pics tomorrow after I finish turkey hunting. Maybe I'll post pics of a turkey too!!!!!!!
Congratulations on your find! I don't know which Lyman reloading manuals you have but, Lyman #43 has a dangerous overload for the .32-40. A 165 grain jacketed bullet is listed with 20 grains of Unique as a start load and 24 grains as maximum. DO NOT USE!!!
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

JDL, I just looked in my LYMAN 43rd edition at the 32-40 load... It had what I thought was gray highlighting, numbers very visible through it, thought that was the choice the former owner of the book had used... Thank you for the warning, I am drawing a line through it now so no one ever confuses it like I had. Even though it be slim to none I would have ever used it.
I see the unique where referred to was usually half the powder rate.

While looking, I see the 32 Special was couple grains more of powder (not unique) than the 32-40...and more velocity. What was the reason for the difference? Was it because the 32-40 was considered a black powder round?
Allhands's 32-40 rifle was built in 1910 and as I understand it, all model 1894 rifles out of the factory after 1900 were special nickel steel barrels, just that some were not labeled as such. Or are the receivers not strong enough in that particuler caliber? Thanks SnR
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Grats on the new rifles and hope that old loading tool ya got from me works out 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

smokenrust, The 32-40 was designed in 1884 as a target round for Ballard rifles and used a 165 grain lead bullet with 40 grains of Fg blackpowder for a velocity of around 1400-1450 fps. Both Marlin and Winchester chambered the round in their levers and Winchester later loaded a high speed loading of the same weight bullet at an advertised velocity of 1752 fps. This latter load wasn't ment to be used in the Ballard single shots.
The case capacity of the .32 Special is about 2 grains more water than the .32-40 so with the larger case, more powder can be added. No need to try and make the old .32-40 a .32 Special, just use it for what it is. You probably won't notice the difference in the field. HTH

JDL

edit to add: If I had a .32-40, I would get a good mold to cast bullets for it and load 'em up to 1750 fps for deer and use a lighter charge of around 1400 fps to target practice with.
Last edited by JDL on Tue May 01, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

smokenrust wrote:....While looking, I see the 32 Special was couple grains more of powder (not unique) than the 32-40...and more velocity. What was the reason for the difference? Was it because the 32-40 was considered a black powder round?
Allhands's 32-40 rifle was built in 1910 and as I understand it, all model 1894 rifles out of the factory after 1900 were special nickel steel barrels, just that some were not labeled as such. Or are the receivers not strong enough in that particuler caliber? Thanks SnR

I believe the 32-40 has a smaller case capacity, so you wouldnt be able to get the same velocity as the 32 spl at near the same pressure. That would be one difference. That the 32-40 was orginally a black powder cartridge may also have some bearing on the difference in velocities and perceived safe pressures in the manuals. You should be able to get a decent increase over black powder velocities with prudent smokeless loads, but I don't think you can match the 32 spl safely.

I'm not sure about the barrels, but the receivers should all be the same as regards safe load levels. Someone else may have more info in that regard.

Edit: Looks like we were writing at the same time,... :) (yes, I write slow)
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?