How airbags killed off the "basic" car

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

How airbags killed off the "basic" car

Post by awp101 »

Pretty interesting read on why we can't find the affordable, basic entry level cars like we used to have.
A quick examination of any dealership lot in the country will show that, in her opinion of what constitutes a “basic car”, my relative’s wife was well ahead of the curve. The era of the “basic car” is dead and gone. The Chevrolet Chevette “Scooters”, Plymouth Horizon “Americas”, and Toyota Tercel “EZ” models which littered the streets and cluttered the left lanes of my youth are long gone. Today’s “basic car” has performance to match some Sixties “musclecars” and equipment which would shame Konrad Adenauer’s Mercedes-Benz state limousine. Naturally, the government is to blame.

Sort of. China’s also part of the problem.

Well, really, it’s your fault. Okay?

The plain truth is this: Government regulation, changes in manufacturing processes, and consumer behavior have all combined to drive a stake through the heart of the “basic car” in this country. Before we discuss why it’s slightly easier to hijack an Israeli airliner than it is to find an American-made car with roll-up windows, though, let’s take a look at the way the car market does not work – at least not any more.

Have you seen the movie “Gran Torino” yet? If you haven’t, consider it recommended to you as of this moment. My father drove a Gran Torino when I was a child, you know. He also made Walt Kowalski, the character Clint Eastwood plays in the movie, look like Carson from “Queer Eye”. But I digress. Anyway, in the film we learn that Kowalski built Gran Torinos and other Fords for thirty years, and that he preserved a 1973 Gran Torino as his most cherished possession. The way Gran Torinos, and all other American cars, were made in 1973 was pretty simple. You pushed ‘em down the line and you added equipment. The men who built the cars earned a solid “living wage” doing so, and all of the equipment they added, with the occasional minor exception, was also made in America by men earning a living wage.
Read the full article here: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/0 ... adio-star/
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: How airbags killed off the "basic" car

Post by MrMurphy »

You can still get a Jeep Wrangler Sahara, which is about as stripped as it gets..
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Remember the days when guys who really used pick-up trucks as trucks could afford them.

Kevin
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

MrMurphy wrote:You can still get a Jeep Wrangler Sahara, which is about as stripped as it gets..
True and my Colorado is the stripped "work truck" package. Roll up windows, 4cyl/5spd, rubber floor (no mats) but even it came with a/c (a must for Texas :lol: ), dual airbags (not me and a passenger :P ) and cruise control.

But finding a car that stripped is hard to do nowadays.
Mac in Mo wrote:Remember the days when guys who really used pick-up trucks as trucks could afford them.
Yup. I remember my Grandfather's '69 C10 with 3 on the tree... :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The key word is "affordable". Even a base model new Wrangler is ridiculously expensive.

The Ford Ranger is the oldest technology, most basic vehicle still being sold by any car manufacturer that I can think of, and the base model has an MSRP of $18,160. That base Wrangler mentioned starts at $22,045 MSRP.

The Hyundai Accent at a base price of $12,545 is the cheapest car available today that I know of, and of course it was designed to pass stringent safety crash tests that past cheap vehicles would have crumpled under like a ball of tin foil, and it's got multiple air bags, the engine will probably go 200,000 miles with nadda for maintenance, etc. etc.

The cars are much safer and are, in general, better made today, but the cost of that is...uh, well COST! I'm not sure if it sucks of if we're just getting way better cars...

What bothers me is the price of the SWAG on 'em vs. the base model. How does a Jeep cost $50,000?? It's nuts.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

awp101 wrote:
Mac in Mo wrote:Remember the days when guys who really used pick-up trucks as trucks could afford them.
Yup. I remember my Grandfather's '69 C10 with 3 on the tree... :mrgreen:
Ha - gotcha beat: My Dad's '70 C10 had the four on the floor because 1st was a granny low. :D Remember the cutouts in the metal dash for guages and items that your truck didn't have? :lol: I used to look at those and endlessly wonder what would have/could have gone in there.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The first gubment boondoggle I remember was the 5mph bumper. An extra thousand bucks for something that could not be straightened out in a fender bender.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ugggghhhhh --- i just bought a new truck - i can somewhat relate. 40k sticker (i didnt pay that much), -- all kinds of airbags, doo dads and radio widgets (some of which i actually like) , twin turbos and more hp than a big block 460 had a generation or two ago. OF course it needs it, as all that extra stuff means the truck weighs a ton (well, probably closer to 3 tons)

On the flip side, my brother recently had a 5k "episode" with his truck and he was given a rental truck while his was still in the shop ---- it was a basic Chevy work truck package with roll up windows, rubber floors, a functional but not fancy interior and a V6 that was decently peppy for its size (but i wouldnt want to pull a skidsteer too far with a 6-- unless its a diesel ) -- i kind of liked it, but then again, sticker on the striped down truck was still over 20k :o :o

----- Doug
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer with the 4.2L 6 cyl. Recently the alternator went out on it while I was driving down the road. I am good about watching my gauges. From the first sign of the gauges showing a problem, it only allowed me to drive less than 5 miles before it died out. Unfortunately, I was 10 miles outside of town at the time. I did discover something new regarding the cars with all the electronic do-dads, bells and whistles. Aside the common knowledge that your power locks no longer work, I discoverd you cant even turn the key far enough to pull it out of the ignition. It will let you place the transmission in park, but when the tow truck arrives, you cant put the transmission in neutral unless you have power. (I.E. JUMP from another Vehicle).

I guess the trade off of having the new technology of engines and better gas mileage comes with a cost. Sometimes I still think a clean older truck with an inline 6, manual tranny, roller windows, rubber mats and an ignition switch on the dash sounds like the ticket. Of course I still want my power steering and brakes!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Yes. The 70 Chevy that my Dad had and I ended up with, started out "three on the tree" and ended up with the Hurst floor shifter. It also started with the awesome 292ci straight six. That block cracked and we had a 250ci six in it for a while. Later on, a 350 V8 was put in , and that is what still was in it when I stupidly sold it.
It was nothing to change a clutch or do just about anything on the old trucks, not anymore. I don't even think that today we could have gotten the thing licensed, changing the engines out, with all the emissions regs. EVERYTHING has gotten SO complicated,thanks to BIG BRO.
Kevin
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep, I'll be looking for my old man truck in a few weeks. I hope I can get an F-150 for less than $30K. I don't want big and fancy just a 5.0 V-8 w/ auto, a/c, cruise,4-dr,and am-fm-CD. The question is, how much extra stuff will I be required to buy cause it's in the package?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Streetstar wrote:Ugggghhhhh --- i just bought a new truck - i can somewhat relate.
I'm starting to do the research to replace my Colorado within the next couple of years and that's how I found this article.

I've spent the past 15 years or so in s10s and Colorados and I'm ready to get back to my small, sporty car roots. The first car I bought on my own was a two year old Eclipse in 1994 and I drove the whiz out of that car. Sold it in 2002 when it started burning oil due to shot piston rings and right around 100k on the clock. Mind you, I didn't maintain it real well (stupid kid... :oops: :lol: ) so it probably would have gone on a lot further.

My daily commute went from 14 miles round trip on back streets to 45 miles highway round trip right at the beginning of rush hour each direction. I love rowing my own gears but it gets to be a beating on days like last Friday morning when we moved 3 miles in 20 minutes thanks to a wreck. Plus being the WT package it's noisy as can be and the off road tires don't help (OK, that part is my fault :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Right now it's still a year or two off but I'm thinking a four door hot hatchback like the Mazda 3 or something similar. It needs to be able to carry toys to the range but still carry a car seat for Grandkids.... :mrgreen:

Inline 6 bangers. Yum! :mrgreen: If I ever end up with more money than I know what to do with, there's going to be 3 hot rods in my stable. One Flathead powered, one old school 4 banger (maybe a Model B engine or something I can put a Riley OHC conversion on :mrgreen: ) and an inline 6.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

The wife's 08 Hyundai Elantra is "basic" with one option ( a convenience group) but has more "stuff" than a Town Car did 20 years before, and would outrun one. We demanded better cars and today, most are pretty good transport. How to choose among 300 labels? the goodies.... Ford sold a pee pot load of cars with their sync technology until everybody started using it. Even the Hyundai has XM radio, which I won't pay for.....
Certified gun nut
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I would rather crawl on broken glass than go back to the POSs that detroit made in the 70s and 80s. Except Ford trucks.....they have always been top drawer IMO.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I still drive a 1970 GMC when I can afford the gas. The Basic truck disappeared for the same reason the 'basic' everything else disappeared. The customers disappeared.

Prices are not so far out of line when you consider that the modern vehicles are more fuel efficient, more reliable, more comfortable, etc. I for one like the air conditioner in the summer, and the stereo (my old truck doesn't have one), adjustable seats and power accessories. The prices only LOOK high because they are calculated in deflated dollars and we are responsible for that. That is why everything else is higher too.

$1,000 in 1970 is equal to $5,912.16 in 2012 (491.2 % inflation). The modern prices don't seem so out of line considering what we get for it.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Rusty wrote:Yep, I'll be looking for my old man truck in a few weeks. I hope I can get an F-150 for less than $30K. I don't want big and fancy just a 5.0 V-8 w/ auto, a/c, cruise,4-dr,and am-fm-CD. The question is, how much extra stuff will I be required to buy cause it's in the package?
Should not be too hard to get what you need for that price. The one i posted the pic of up above came in at 30,300 after all the miscellaneous dickering plus some "customer loyalty" business due to being a prior Ford owner ---

The 5.0 V-8 cost quite a bit less than the turbo V-6 (go figure), plus my truck has a chrome package --- not having that would save another $1500 - 2000 bucks. Some of the packages are good though, when they bundle things like limited slip, and all the tow stuff together. I didnt think i had any use for a "chrome package" at first, but after looking at a few, i liked the look of the big chrome wheels and the running boards are handy for short passengers. Without that stuff, i would think you could get one for 27-28k or so

I guess my new truck is almost what this thread is about :lol: Its darn hard to go to a dealership lot and find trucks that are not loaded out --- yes, you can order anything you want, but the stealerships can usually deal with the price a bit better on current inventory better than a more stripped down special order.
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BAGTIC wrote:I still drive a 1970 GMC when I can afford the gas. The Basic truck disappeared for the same reason the 'basic' everything else disappeared. The customers disappeared.

I have a '69 and a '75 Chevy i also just drive occasionally ---- i like to drive them on sunny weekends or to take them out to "bike night" type events just to hot rod around a bit, but would hate to rely on one for a DD now -- they can do it mechanically just fine, but i encourage anybody who hasn't sat in some old iron for a while to try it when ya get the chance -- the driving layout and steering wheel placements are positioned for a much slimmer America. I have to sit bolt upright and i suspect any hint of a beer belly would make it even worse :lol:
----- Doug
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Talk about sitting upright, I had a '50 Chevy 5 window P/U for a while that I wanted to rebuild. I don't imagine you would want to road trip very far in one of those, talk about a weird feeling lay out. The build never happened and I ended up selling it after a few years.

Kevin
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

BlaineG wrote:I would rather crawl on broken glass than go back to the POSs that detroit made in the 70s and 80s.
They were just horrible. And it wasn't just the times because I had a 1982 Toyota Supra that still is one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Pretty sad what happened, but it's nice that Detroit is pretty much back in the game today.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

olyinaz wrote:The Ford Ranger is the oldest technology, most basic vehicle still being sold by any car manufacturer that I can think of, and the base model has an MSRP of $18,160.

Oly
Ford doesn't even make the Ranger anymore. That assembly line was shut down earlier this year.
Well done is better than well said.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Jayhawker wrote:Ford doesn't even make the Ranger anymore. That assembly line was shut down earlier this year.
Yep! New ones still on the lot though. I'm amazed that they could not see a way to bring out a new model. The Dodge Dakota is a gonner now too.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

olyinaz wrote:
Jayhawker wrote:Ford doesn't even make the Ranger anymore. That assembly line was shut down earlier this year.
Yep! New ones still on the lot though. I'm amazed that they could not see a way to bring out a new model. The Dodge Dakota is a gonner now too.

Oly
:roll: The small trucks are subject to the fleet mileage standards, but the big ones get a pass...go figure :|

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BlaineG wrote:
olyinaz wrote:

Oly
:roll: The small trucks are subject to the fleet mileage standards, but the big ones get a pass...go figure :|

I seriously entertained purchasing a Tacoma thinking the smaller truck would get better fuel mileage, but with a V6 and 4wd, it gets no better than the full size f150 i wound up with.

Even the small trucks are getting bigger and bigger
----- Doug
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've currently got a 2004 GMC 2500HD in work trim.
No A/C, FM/AM radio, manual 5-speed, 4WD, 6.0L gas.

Lotsa power, lousy gas mileage, not a bad ride with some weight in the
back, and remarkably competent off-road.

There are some rust issues on this truck - I had both bumpers and all
four rotors replaced under warranty, and the frame is beginning to
get a little bit manky here and there. I've only got about 48K on it, and
will drive it until it won't pass inspection. New ones are hideously expensive.

I can maintain pretty much everything on this one myself. I like the fuel
injection and engine management systems, becaue it DOES cut down on
maintenance. On the other hand, if the computer goes, you're stuck unless
you have a ($$$!!) replacement to hand.

My wife has a 2011 Suzuki Kizashi with every electronic gizmo known to Western
Man on it. Not needed for me. A VERY nice car, to be sure, but a lot of money
for a lot of toys, most of which I wouldn't ever use. Blue tooth? No, thanks. GPS?
I can still read a map..... I do like a good stereo, though. Backup camera? My
neck still swivels.

I still like the simpler setups. It's a shame that a really BASIC, durable, economical
car just doesn't seem to exist any more.

-Stretch
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

BAGTIC wrote: Prices are not so far out of line when you consider that the modern vehicles are more fuel efficient, more reliable, more comfortable, etc. I for one like the air conditioner in the summer, and the stereo (my old truck doesn't have one), adjustable seats and power accessories. The prices only LOOK high because they are calculated in deflated dollars and we are responsible for that. That is why everything else is higher too.

$1,000 in 1970 is equal to $5,912.16 in 2012 (491.2 % inflation). The modern prices don't seem so out of line considering what we get for it.
Bought a brand spanking new 1971 F150 for $1,907.33(weaseled them down), listed for $1,999.00(anyone remember those?) + $145.00 for the "power option" which included power steering, power brakes, and two side mirrors (instead of one?). Still have the bill of sale. Sold it in '79 to buy a fancy '79 Bronco XLT. That F150 had a 300CI straight 6 w/3 on the tree. Had the dealer put in a AM radio for $23.00 two months after I bought the truck and bought two chrome bumpers for it from a junk yard for $5 (believe it or not, the dealer told me about a scrapped brand new Camper Special that fell of the side of transport trailer landing smack on the roof, my truck came with a painted front bumper and NO back bumper). Later updates included bigger tires, originals were F78X15's, went to 9.50X31X15's after the originals wore out. Other than adding a Class III hitch, all I ever did to the thing was change oil and add gas....for 147,000 miles. So for less than $12k in today's money, guess the deal was better back then. Really thought the F150 was a fancy "go to town" vehicle.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

awp101-

Love that Mr. Horsepower avatar!

I found the link you posted to be very true and thought provoking. Gone are the days when you went to an automobile dealership, sat down with a salesman and went over the available options you wanted before ordering your new car, then waiting a month or two for it to arrive from the factory, built to your specifications. Now people just buy right off the lot since most new cars in a given price range are nearly the same anyway. Buying a cheap modern car makes me think of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHSgeoLgu5U

Gone too are the days when unique styling allowed you to easily distinguish between car brands. Everything today looks to me like a jellybean on wheels. I am a lifelong "car guy" that enjoys driving something basic yet attractive, qualities not available on the new car market. My solution was to build my own. Starting with a 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 door with a sound body and original 265 cubic inch V-8 engine, I installed a newer Turbo 350 transmission for better reliability, disc front brakes for better stopping, a Camaro 10-bolt rearend for higher gear ratio and better brakes, a stereo radio because that's what the wife wanted, and seat belts for safety.
This car has served as a daily driver since 1988 and we have put over 100,000 miles on it, mostly in town driving to work, grocery shopping, etc. The occasional breakdown does happen, but I've always been able to repair it myself, thanks to the basic nature of the car. Best of all, it increases in value as each year passes. The worst thing about it is that everywhere we go people want to come up and look at the car and talk about the good old days. I enjoy it, but the wife is always in a hurry and doesn't like to take the time.

One fact that cannot be argued is that the new cars being offered today ARE safer with built-in crumple zones, shoulder & lap belts, and air bags to protect you in an accident. But the mechanics of them are so complicated, the average guy cannot do his own repair work. Fortunately newer cars are less prone to breakdown and go much farther between scheduled maintenance, but I can't imagine any of them lasting as long or ever increasing in value like our old Chevy.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

MrMurphy wrote:You can still get a Jeep Wrangler Sahara, which is about as stripped as it gets..

Not really, The Sahara is their top of the line as far as luxury goes. Their top of the line for 'off roading" is the Rubicon.

Even the bottom of the line "X" is no longer bottom of the line. They used to come with just plain carpeting and a in-line 4 cyl, but that is gone too. They are all pretty nice these days.

Today we get forced to buy what we really don't want. I beat the system by continuing to drive "Ole Yeller" while the newer one sits covered in the garage. I make 'em last.-------------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My one really bad economic mistake is trading rigs....I always seem to get itchy about another rig after a few years :oops: :oops: :oops: Oh, well....I don't spend it on other stuff.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

In the early 1980's the decession was made to eliminate the the middleclass. Wages were driven down while voters fought over gay marrage and other nonsense. Look at what your wages buy today in real money as apposed to what it bought in the 1970's :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: But, nobody, ever mentions it? So we get what we deserve cause we are still brainwashed by the 2 party system. The Republicans willl turn you into a slave. The democrates are gonna comfiscate your guns. Strap on your Tinfoil hat and join the Tea party. :P
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can't speak for everyone, but it seems, roughly, that an nice, new rig always cost me about 1 year's salary......But, I've never been more than lower middle class, too 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

airbags.............
I have 2 in my truck....
4 when my wife and mother-in-law are in it! :o :lol:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Jeepwise, the last time I seriously looked at them was in the mid 90s and a Sahara was totally stripped, rubber floormats, no carpet, drain holes, minimum instrumentation.

Guess times have changed.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Streetstar wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
olyinaz wrote:

Oly

I seriously entertained purchasing a Tacoma thinking the smaller truck would get better fuel mileage, but with a V6 and 4wd, it gets no better than the full size f150 i wound up with.

Even the small trucks are getting bigger and bigger
I bought a new '10 4x4 Ranger loaded......4.0 V6 does no better than 15-16 in town and I've touched 20 on the road. I'm disappointed, to say the least. But, I paid about 20,000 new as they were trying to move out the old models in July 11. The new 4x4 150s loaded were twice that :( I will say, that 4.0 V6 is the fastest truck I've ever driven....Mucho power.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My '97 Ranger 4x4 (with OEM topper) gets up to 24 on the highway and averages around 19 in town...

Power windows & automatic hubs/transmission though :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:My '97 Ranger 4x4 (with OEM topper) gets up to 24 on the highway and averages around 19 in town...

V6, or 4cyl?
I had a rust bucket, tore up, oil burner 75 Chevy half ton short bed, small straight 6, three speed manual. Always started and low 20s for milage city or road....."sigh"

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:My '97 Ranger 4x4 (with OEM topper) gets up to 24 on the highway and averages around 19 in town...

V6, or 4cyl?
I had a rust bucket, tore up, oil burner 75 Chevy half ton short bed, small straight 6, three speed manual. Always started and low 20s for milage city or road....."sigh"
It's the 6 with the tow package.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

I like some of today's safety features, but some of the oldies are still goodies. My grandfather paid around $1,200 for one of these, a 1965 Datsun L320:

Note the "60 HP" badge:

The truck had a few distinctive features, like: an optional heater (which grandpa did not buy); no available radio; no available air conditioning; a massive "spare tire lowering handle", that could be used to crank start the engine; and an emergency brake handle that was located near the door sill on the driver's side of the truck (photo of the emergency brake handle, inside of an L320 under restoration):

Here is Yutaka Katayama, the "dogs love trucks" guy, crank starting someone's L320:

Here is a video clip of someone crankstarting a 1965 L320:

http://youtu.be/upF7M_xvar0

The interior was much like this one, with a textured, metal dashboard (though someone has monkeyed with this one, such as putting a radio, where the heater outlet should be):

Under the hood was pretty basic, too:

My grandpa drove that truck all over the place, and he even made a plywood toolbox that fit the bed of the truck. He had his name & city tastefully handlettered on the sides of the cargo bed, as he was a carpenter, by trade. He regetted selling that truck, but it sold fast. I often wonder if the truck is still serving someone, as well as it served my grandfather.

Shawn
Last edited by Hagler on Tue May 01, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Two of my favorite cars were my 1968 Dodge Dart (slant 6) and 1967 Nash Rambler.

IIRC the Rambler got me near 30mpg back in 1988...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:Two of my favorite cars were my 1968 Dodge Dart (slant 6) and 1967 Nash Rambler.

We had a 67 Rambler, as well......me thinketh you calulate MPG with your beer goggles on, Sir :P :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Two of my favorite cars were my 1968 Dodge Dart (slant 6) and 1967 Nash Rambler.

We had a 67 Rambler, as well......me thinketh you calulate MPG with your beer goggles on, Sir :P :P
I drove it from early 1987 to 1988 when I gave it to my sister.

I drove it from Norman OK to Michigan City IN.

IIRC when I bought it with a dead battery, dried up carb & nasty gas from a barn sale in OK it had less than 30K on it.

In a year of ownership I think I filed the tank maybe a dozen times.

Mine was a 2 door.

Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's a nice blue Dodge.....I had a chance at my first car being a 62(?) Plymouth/Dodge and it was really nice, and 200 bucks...but that was 1969 bucks, but it would have lasted forever.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:That's a nice blue Dodge.....I had a chance at my first car being a 62(?) Plymouth/Dodge and it was really nice, and 200 bucks...but that was 1969 bucks, but it would have lasted forever.
That's not a dodge... that's a Rambler. :mrgreen:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:
BlaineG wrote:That's a nice blue Dodge.....I had a chance at my first car being a 62(?) Plymouth/Dodge and it was really nice, and 200 bucks...but that was 1969 bucks, but it would have lasted forever.
That's not a dodge... that's a Rambler. :mrgreen:
Sheesh...blind old geezer :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

1970 GTO. Built like a tank. fast and mean. you could bounce it off a tree, get out, look at the cranked paint on the rubber bumper that covered the 100lb. steel insert, and drive away. :twisted: