How to install grip medallions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

How to install grip medallions?

Post by 1894cfan »

Just picked up a Ruger New Vaquero and have wood grips on the way. Got a couple small coins that I would like to install on the grips but don't know how. Anybody here have any suggestions? TIA
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- How to install grip medallions?

Post by adirondakjack »

Best way is using a drill press, strap down the piece with padded clamps, then a fly cutter to cut a pocket .005 too small, then press em in. Stock medallions are 1/2" so a half inch end mill works fine, but ya may need to glue the pieces because they may not interference fit. For stock Ruger grips, the medallions push out from the back, and a .45 case head just presses in it's place nicely.
Certified gun nut
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How to install grip medallions?

Post by Pete44ru »

While a drill press & end mills are nice to have, not everybody has such - and they're not really necessary.

I've installed medallions on about a dozen different SA revolver wooden grip panels by holding the grip panel flat/hard on a flat board & using a variable speed (homeowner's) hand drill/bit to drill a recess by hand.

It's usually best to locate the medalion/coin in the center of the flat grip section, just to the rear of the frame edge & below the topmost edge of the gripframe.

I locate the donor medallion in the best-looking position, and lightly mark around the edge w/pencil, remove the medallion/coin & find the center point for a centerpunchmark.

Small coins/medallions aren't very thick - usually no more than about 1/16" - so I select a drill bit with a major the diameter the same or just under that of the subjest medallion, and apply one wrap of tape around the bit tip, 1/16" back from the edge of the cutting bevel as a depth gauge.

I then hold the drill & drill bit as close to perpendicular to the flat section as possible, and start the hole, stopping just before the depth gauge tape touches the outer edge of the grip panel.
Yes, the drill bit will make the center much deeper, sometimes even making a through-hole. So what ?

After I check the depth of the recess' sides against the medallion/coin ( and making any adjustments), and applying an unbuffed coat of paste wax to the grip panel's surface, I fit/install the medallion with a small drop of epoxy, wiping off any excess carefully ( the wax keeps the epoxy off the grip surface), making sure the face of the medallion will be a flush fit with the grip surface.

Why not take pics as you proceed, & post them ?

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

A Forstner bit. They are used to make a round flat bottom hole and can be bought at most major home improvement stores ,sears , or any wood working related store. I bought a cheap set for between $12 and $15.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Like A. jack, I have done a number of grips with an end mill bit and a drill press. You gotta keep the grip real tight or things go flying and will bugger up the hole. Practice and practice more on some junk material.

I've done 'em on ivory and stag and with that material, you only have one chance. With wood, you might get away with a Forstner bit but you have to run 'em at high speed......real slow down pressure. You want the bit to be razor sharp as going slow with a dull bit will leave a rounded edge with splinters. You want the edge to be "nice and crisp" :D --------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Pete44ru wrote:While a drill press & end mills are nice to have, not everybody has such - and they're not really necessary.

I've installed medallions on about a dozen different SA revolver wooden grip panels by holding the grip panel flat/hard on a flat board & using a variable speed (homeowner's) hand drill/bit to drill a recess by hand.

It's usually best to locate the medalion/coin in the center of the flat grip section, just to the rear of the frame edge & below the topmost edge of the gripframe.

I locate the donor medallion in the best-looking position, and lightly mark around the edge w/pencil, remove the medallion/coin & find the center point for a centerpunchmark.

Small coins/medallions aren't very thick - usually no more than about 1/16" - so I select a drill bit with a major the diameter the same or just under that of the subjest medallion, and apply one wrap of tape around the bit tip, 1/16" back from the edge of the cutting bevel as a depth gauge.

I then hold the drill & drill bit as close to perpendicular to the flat section as possible, and start the hole, stopping just before the depth gauge tape touches the outer edge of the grip panel.
Yes, the drill bit will make the center much deeper, sometimes even making a through-hole. So what ?

After I check the depth of the recess' sides against the medallion/coin ( and making any adjustments), and applying an unbuffed coat of paste wax to the grip panel's surface, I fit/install the medallion with a small drop of epoxy, wiping off any excess carefully ( the wax keeps the epoxy off the grip surface), making sure the face of the medallion will be a flush fit with the grip surface.

Why not take pics as you proceed, & post them ?

Thanks, Pete. Since I don't have a drill press or end mill, guess I'll do it your way. BTW, it's a New Vaquero in .357 with a 5 1/2" barrel that I just stuck a Power Custom Colt Ruger hammer/trigger kit in (MAN did that slick the action up! :mrgreen: ).
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Altamont sent the wrong grips with checkering that covers too much of the panels, leaving not enough space for the medallions that I like just as well. Just as well since I was going to install a couple 1/10oz gold eagles on them. :roll: