Smokeless Cowboy loads and Dacron

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Smokeless Cowboy loads and Dacron

Post by FatJackDurham »

I've been trying to find good info on how to safely make a good Cowboy Action load. I am concerned about the amount of space left behind the bullet with these low power loads.

Some recommend using dacron to fill the space, loosely, to prevent possible detonation.

Can I get some input on this process and what the recommended method to work up a load is? One site I saw said NOT to use dacron on loads you have already worked up, but to start low and test the loads again with dacron.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Smokeless Cowboy loads and Dacron

Post by ollogger »

I dont use it, but trail boss sounds like a good powder for cowboy loads
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

Howdy

No powder company recommends using dacron or any other type of filler with Smokeless powder.

All the powder companies publish loads for Cowboy Action loads. Don't worry about the extra space in the cartridge. Just stick with published data, don't go lower or higher. Especially, don't go lower than the recommended starting loads. If you are worried about it, Trailboss was designed specifically to take up the extra space characteristic of light loads in large cases.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx

As for detonation, well, it is a very controversial subject as to whether it even exists or not. The real answer is, stick to published loads, not what some guy at your club told you, or some anonymous internet source.

Another good strategy is to use a case with less capacity. 45 Schofield instead of 45 Colt, 44 Russian instead of 44 Special. However, be sure to stick with published data for these loads too, as pressure will increase with the decrease in case capacity. And your rifle may not feed properly with shorter rounds. Works great in revolvers though.
I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Very small scale loading of very special loads can get by if dacron is used very carefully.

The problem comes in trying to be exactly consistent in it's use. it's hard to make two rounds exactly the same, and for the high volume loading necessary for CAS use, fuggedaboudit!

As DJ said, use shorter cases where possible (I know a little about that) and stick to the low end of published loads. FastER powders help, even though yeah, you end up with lots of air. Don't sweat the air, DO sweat a double charge, and make sure your loading practices make that as near impossible as you can.
Certified gun nut
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Is Trailboss Smokeless or a sim?

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

The above talks about loading that sounds similar to 777... just fill the cartridge to the base of the bullet and that is your max load. Subtract 30 % by weight and thats your starting load.

I will get some and try it out. I am nervous about using filler, but I always thought it had to be inconsistant to have powder sloshing around in the cartridge like that.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Trailboss is smokeless
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Trail Boss was designed as a fluffy, low density FAST BURNING SMOKELESS specifically to meet the needs of low velocity revolver use for Cowboy Action. The low density formula makes it "double charge proof" (unless ya compress it, which is a serious No-No as it will produce skyrocketing pressures if compressed.). It's not a panacea, but in .45 Colt for low pressures, is about as good as it gets. To get any better results, use shorter cases (Cowboy .45 Special is made for that use.)
Certified gun nut
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

How does it do in handgun caliber rifles, just as good? I'd like to have that instead of using Universal or Unique.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

No dacron for this cowboy shooter. What cartridge? I shoot .45 Colt, and have used 6.5 grains of RedDot behind bullets of 160, 185, 200 & 225 grains for years in cowboy action. I use the 2 heavier bullets in my rifles and the lighter ones in my handguns. I've had no issues except for one squib in over 20 years. And I'll take the blame on that one... clearly no powder, primer only as the bullet stuck about ¾ its length in the leade. I'm sure I stopped in the middle of loading on on my progressive to do something, (unstop the primer feed, get more bullets, add powder, or any of the untold number of things that come up while reloading), and didn't check the case under the powder drop before I indexed it to the next station. As I recall that load is right about the mid-point of the load chart for the 225grain bullet. It ain't the lightest of loads, but I can dump 'em off pretty fast in either the rifle or sixgun.

Just make sure you stay away from a real position sensitive powder. Visually inspect each case before seating a bullet; AND, KNOW how much your selected charge fills the case. Many of those cowboy shooters have shot NOTHING else, only know what some other noob told them, and are afraid to experiment. Listen to what Adirondak Jack & Driftwood Johnson say, I generally agree with their advise!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

FatJackDurham wrote:How does it do in handgun caliber rifles, just as good? I'd like to have that instead of using Universal or Unique.
I haven't heard of any issues... I know several folks that use it, and like me, use the same powder charge for their rifles and handguns (same cartridge), but vary their bullet weight to distinguish between the two. YMMV.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I shoot 6.0 gr. Trail Boss in the .45 Colt with 200 gr. bullets in rifle and pistol for CAS.
I am very happy with it as it fills the case a little over half full so an overload would spill over and be noticed right away.

They shoot great. The use of any kind of filler that cant be dispensed from a powder measure and be compressed above the main charge, as it is sometimes loaded to make reduced BP loads, would be a real pain to do. :x
I don`t use fillers of any kind. :wink: