1873 Win Question ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

1873 Win Question ???

Post by rbertalotto »

I have an original 1873 Winchester (DOM 1884). Very little wear in the action.

But when the firing pin comes back to cock the hammer, there is lots of resistance as it slides over the hammer and them on closing the lever, it binds on the hammer. If I pull the hammer all the way back to remove it from contact with the firing pin, the action is smooth as glass.

It almost seems like the hammer spring is too heavy.

If I put grease on the mating surfaces, it smooths out considerable, but grease won't last during a CAS shoot.

Is there anything I'm missing here?

There is some type of set screw infront of the hammer spring attachment screw. Is this screw to adjust tension on the hammer spring?
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1873 Win Question ???

Post by M. M. Wright »

Yes, that little screw bears up against the hammer spring so you can back it off and reduce the tension on the hammer. Be sure to use a correct screw driver, especially on that original. The 2 screws under the action control the detent springs on the lifter and lever and can sometimes be adjusted to help the feel of the action but doesn't sound like yours needs that.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: 1873 Win Question ???

Post by Shasta »

I had the same difficulty with my 1880 vintage '73. The main spring tension screw was already backed off as much as possible. I fabricated a shim by using my Dremel tool to cut a portion out of a small steel flat washer leaving it in a horseshoe shape. I then loosened the main spring retaining screw as much as possible without removing it and slipped the horseshoe shaped shim in between the mainspring and the lower tang, then tightened the mainspring screw. This spaced the mainspring up off the lower tang a bit and effectively reduced the pressure of the mainspring on the hammer, helping to alleviate excessive mainspring pressure on retraction of the firing pin. The action works smoother and the rifle still fires reliably.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta