Winchester pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Winchester pistol

Post by hightime »

I found the levergun pistol I've been looking for. What the heck is it?
The barrel is only about 10'' long. Can I asume someone has cut it down and curved the tang and lever?

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester pistol

Post by Mescalero »

I predict a visit from BATF.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

It's an all-expense paid ticket to Leavenwirth...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Both of the above... and a mdl 1892 to begin with.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I suggest that you remove the barrel. It's a shame that someone cut it up but you might be able to salvage the receiver.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Looks inoperable to me. Rust, bent tang. I can't see the changed geometry of the tang allowing it to work. Its legal. After all, anybody can own a machine gun thats been welded up---key word "inoperable"---and not easily made "operable".---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Looks like someone tried to make a Volcanic out of a 92...
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

It's a wall hanger at a resturant.

Owen
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Stay away from it!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

"Inoperable" in the sense that it is beat up, worn out, rusted, has missing parts, will not function, etc. does NOT exempt it from the law. Anyone posesses this gun in this condition is a potential fellon and the BATF does not plea bargin. If the chamber was permenantly plugged and 3 bore diameter holes were drilled in the barrel which was then welded to the reciever and the bolt was welded in the reciever it probably would be legal but not till then. Having it in your possesion with the intention of doing all the above the very minute you get home still leaves you open to prosecution. Even posting about it here probably isn't a good idea as it may start the wrong people looking for it. I don't mean to sound paranoid but the BATF has a long history of abuses against people who are decent law abiding citizens and who have, or in some cases have not, made an error in judgment. If I knew the person who owns it it would discretely tell him to destroy it and then sever contact with him untill after I was 100% sure that he had done so.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pardon me for being dumb but why is that wrong when most you guy's can go get a TC pistol and or others types?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Nath wrote:Pardon me for being dumb but why is that wrong when most you guy's can go get a TC pistol and or others types?

Nath.
Because the rules are dumb. They're designed by anti- gun people instead of people who are pro-gun and knowledgeable about them.
Not being smart, Nath. That's the reason, plain and simple.

Why can I buy some guns without going through an FFL and a later reproduction of the same thing requires one? :roll:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Nath,
As you know the government types are not the sharpest tools in the shed............
originally it was to prevent turning rifles and shotguns from being cut down and made more concealable.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

doesn't it also depend on when it was made? pre-1898 is not the same. being a 92 it could easily be pre-1898.
cable
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

If it was originally a rifle, it cannot ever legally be made into a pistol, end of story. Ruger makes a dandy 10-22ISH pistol, but they have to start with a frame serialized as a HANDGUN at the outset....
Certified gun nut
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I get it, same stupid folks run things over here too :lol:

You know what the bad guy's over here usually don't give a r,,,,,,,,,,,,don't care if they are generally breaking a law so I errr guess it's just another useless waste of tax money.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hawkeye2 wrote:"Inoperable" in the sense that it is beat up, worn out, rusted, has missing parts, will not function, etc. does NOT exempt it from the law. Anyone posesses this gun in this condition is a potential fellon and the BATF does not plea bargin. If the chamber was permenantly plugged and 3 bore diameter holes were drilled in the barrel which was then welded to the reciever and the bolt was welded in the reciever it probably would be legal but not till then. Having it in your possesion with the intention of doing all the above the very minute you get home still leaves you open to prosecution. Even posting about it here probably isn't a good idea as it may start the wrong people looking for it. I don't mean to sound paranoid but the BATF has a long history of abuses against people who are decent law abiding citizens and who have, or in some cases have not, made an error in judgment. If I knew the person who owns it it would discretely tell him to destroy it and then sever contact with him untill after I was 100% sure that he had done so.

Yep, your probably right. It ain't worth the risk as we all here enjoy our freedoms and "rights". I remember back in the eighties the ATF destroyed this guys house (NRA American Rifleman) looking for an auto-sear. They never found it but still arrested the guy and refused to pay for the damage. But.............if your a crack dealer with 50 kids, with "yo 9" the Feds will get you help. :roll: ------------
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

hightime wrote:It's a wall hanger at a resturant.

Owen
I would guess that with it hanging in a public restraunt, was probably bought at an auction, the thing has probably been subject to a number of law enforcement scrutiny, and surely doesn't warrant the internet histryonic's we are seeing here.
There's a pretty fair chance it was declared legal when the NFA of 1938 came about and folks had all sort of firearms in their closet that makes some folks whizz down both legs today...
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

The 38 changes to the NFA may have made it legal but it would have to have been registered at that time and the chain of Federal paperwork kept current with each change of ownership.

Congress took a look at the TC offerings, had a laugh over them and moved on. This is probably the only time in the 20th. century they showed common sense.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

What are y'all freakin out about? Remember, this is a free country, errr, well, .......................
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill