Gee, he only had a 100,000 rounds...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Gee, he only had a 100,000 rounds...

Post by Old No7 »

You may have heard on the news about a southern California man put under 72-hour psychiatric observation after it was found he owned over 100 guns and allegedly had (by rough estimates) 100,000 rounds of ammunition stored in his home. The house also featured a secret escape tunnel.

My favorite quote from the dimwit television reporter: "Wow! He has about a quarter million machine gun bullets." The headline referred to it as a "Massive Weapons Cache!"

By southern California standards, someone owning 100,000 rounds would be called "mentally unstable."

But just imagine if he lived elsewhere:

In Arizona, he'd be called "an avid gun collector."

In Arkansas, he'd be called "a novice gun collector."

In Utah, he'd be called "moderately well prepared," but they'd probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of stored food.

In Colorado and Montana , he'd be called "The neighborhood 'Go-To' guy."

In Idaho , he'd be called "a likely gubernatorial candidate."

In Wyoming , he'd be called "an eligible bachelor."

In Louisiana , Mississippi and Alabama he would be called "a deer hunting buddy."

And, in Texas, he's just "Bubba" who's a little short on ammo.

:wink: :lol:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
WinLover
Levergunner

Re: Gee, he only had a 100,000 rounds...

Post by WinLover »

I'd call him "Junior"!! :lol: :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Here, he wouldn't raise an eyebrow!
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

There is probably a triple digit number of people here just inside the city limits that have at least that much shooting stuff.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Here they would count spent rounds as well as live just because it might sell more papers.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Let me get this straight... in California 100,000 equals a quarter of a million?

No wonder they have money problems.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

is the guy in CA selling that ammo...if so...i would be interested... :)
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Rusty wrote:Let me get this straight... in California 100,000 equals a quarter of a million?
No wonder they have money problems.
You have no idea. These are the same brain-dead people who think making 250,000 dollars per year makes you a millionaire.

But back to the point....I wish I had the storage for 100K rounds and 100 guns.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

In Michigan, folks would say, "Yep, deer season in just around the corner"
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I wonder how the police got the search warrant? What did this guy do to warrant a search of his home? If a good stock of guns and ammo is enough to have someone commited to a looney bin, I wouldn't be typing this, and prolly half the members here would be locked up too... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am a serious offender.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Uh Oh, I resemble that headline. Got the guns covered but would have to count the ammo. For those of U who question California math "We do the new Math here".
I hope this doesn't apply to Nor Cal.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mikld wrote:I wonder how the police got the search warrant? What did this guy do to warrant a search of his home?
Under the Patriot Act and the wonderful 'War on Drugs', pretty much anyone can be subject to a warrantless search, and if nothing criminal is found, but some cool guns or other valuables the 'authorities' want to seize are found, all it takes is for something to be planted on the premesis as 'evidence' that the individual is a criminal. If it's an auto-sear, the LibTards will tar and feather the guy, and if it's a bag of marijuana, the ConservTards will do the same.

Most of us want freedom, but only for OUR particular hobby or lifestyle. :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

He had to have done something else to have gotten put under 72 hour psychiatric observation.... But it wouldn’t take much depending on the biases of the person interviewing him... In CA he's lost his right to purchase or possess firearms & ammo for five years for being put under 72 hour psychiatric observation...other states have similar...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:
mikld wrote:I wonder how the police got the search warrant? What did this guy do to warrant a search of his home?
Under the Patriot Act and the wonderful 'War on Drugs', pretty much anyone can be subject to a warrantless search, and if nothing criminal is found, but some cool guns or other valuables the 'authorities' want to seize are found, all it takes is for something to be planted on the premesis as 'evidence' that the individual is a criminal. If it's an auto-sear, the LibTards will tar and feather the guy, and if it's a bag of marijuana, the ConservTards will do the same.
Most of us want freedom, but only for OUR particular hobby or lifestyle. :(
Doesn't require the planting of anything! Why are we so quick to implicate the PO-lice of nefarious deeds? ASK for a lawyer at your earlliest convenience. THEN... keep yer yap shut till he arrives! The guy probably said something that twitched the cop's radar. Something like, "...oh that, I'm stocking up for the zombie invasion, I've already seen a few." We can yuk it up all we want... but most cops... they're serious... Some complete stranger sez that to you... what's YOUR first thought? Now, let's say he sez it with a straight face... no smirk elbow in the ribs so you know he's just trying to be funny?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ben... I think depends on the result of the 72-hour observation and a hearing in front of a judge. Otherwise that' taking away one's rights w/o "due process".
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

All I know is, when I spent 2 mos living in my tiny little "Hillbilly Airstream", including two passages all to close to the NYC metro area, I was more than a little extra cautious, even though I ONLY had about 10,000 rounds and 18 firearms. I added up how many centuries I might do in jail for dreaded hollowpoint ammo if the particular road I was on did in fact slide from PeeYaa to Joisey..... Folks need to get a grip. ONE GUN and 10 bullets in the wrong hnds are FAR, FAR more dangerous than an entire truckload (which oddly the USAF entrusted me with at age 20) of automatic weapons and a half ton of ammo in sane hands ever will be.....
Certified gun nut
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Mescalero wrote:I am a serious offender.
Ssssssh! They're watchin' ya!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Griff... As far as I know, if the police hold someone in jail for 72 hour observation and decide to let them go at the end of it, that is one thing..no harm no foul.. But being held for 72 hour psychiatric observation in mental health facility is another, and will lose that person their gun rights for five years because the person that lands in there usually has been deemed to be a danger to others or to themselves.. The due process come in later...The person has a right to appeal the 5 year prohibition in court... but in the meantime they can’t own guns, and if they lose the appeal they have to wait the five years. I repeat... other states have the same or similar laws...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I sure was lucky getting out of Kalifonia two steps ahead of the psychiatrist.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

In Pennsylvania he would be called "Sixgun". :D

There must be more to the story as I usually don't keep company with anyone who has less than what that guy had, and I know a lot of people.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

as best I could discover, this story is 5 years old, I found references to it on blogs from March 2007.

there is a lot more to the story than just simple possession of lots of ammo ... and the guy was retired Army Special Forces .....

here is one article ....
http://www.freethefive.org/usTerrorism/ ... e82707.htm

here is another article, copied & pasted below ......
http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... 02x2968744
Source: Associated Press
Cuban exile sentenced for stash of ammo, guns in Upland home
The Associated Press
Article Launched: 08/27/2007 02:35:27 PM PDT

RIVERSIDE, Calif.—A Cuban exile who claimed that he stashed more than 1,500 guns and other weapons in his home as part of a plan to overthrow Fidel Castro was sentenced Monday to more than five years in federal prison, despite pleas for leniency.

Robert Ferro, 64, was also fined $75,000 at the hearing before U.S. District Court Judge Virginia A. Phillips. Ferro, of Upland, pleaded guilty to a single count of weapons possession earlier this year after allegedly claiming that he was storing the weapons with the knowledge of Alpha 66, a Florida-based paramilitary group that for decades has plotted to overthrow the Cuban leader.
(snip)

Police who raided Ferro's home in April 2006 discovered 35 machine guns, 130 silencers, a live hand grenade, a rocket launcher and 89,000 rounds of ammunition concealed in false walls, dummy bookshelves and hidden rooms.

Ferro, a retired Army Special Forces officer, was prohibited from owning the weapons because of a prior conviction for possession of explosives on a Pomona chicken ranch. Federal authorities alleged that Ferro was running a training camp for Mexican nationals to overthrow Castro when they found the five pounds of C-4 explosives.
--------------------------------------
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Griff wrote: The guy probably said something that twitched the cop's radar. Something like, "...oh that, I'm stocking up for the zombie invasion, I've already seen a few." We can yuk it up all we want... but most cops... they're serious... Some complete stranger sez that to you... what's YOUR first thought? Now, let's say he sez it with a straight face... no smirk elbow in the ribs so you know he's just trying to be funny?
I can find no semblance of anything that even begins to qualify what you are suggesting is a reasonable reaction by the cops to be remotely Constitutional, either under the 4th or 2nd amendment. MY first thought is, ok, he's got a lot of guns, cool, and God Bless America and The Constitution that allows it. Apparently cops think exactly the opposite, and you're ok with that. Please point out any illegal behavior in the hypothetical statement you made, or any illegal activity. This is exactly why people don't respect law enforcement anymore, because they don't respect our basic rights and freedoms.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

right after he passes his evaluation....
he should sue the c*** out of them....
and then move!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS