Thoughts on discounts for vets...do you take advantage?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Thoughts on discounts for vets...do you take advantage?

Post by Mac in Mo »

Do any of you guys take advantage of these discounts. I never have, always felt embarrassed to ask. With the tough times my family is facing, I have been seeking ways to be more frugal. Maybe I need to swallow my pride and take advantage?

If you do the discount thing, do you carry your DD-214 around?

Kevin
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Thoughts on discounts for vets...do you take advantage?

Post by earlmck »

Because of an inheritance I ended up with a little checking account at Chase. Ran out of checks a few months ago, went down there with the intent of closing and moving to local bank. Nice lady there told me they give free checking to vets. I said "but Chase is such a horrible bank I don't want to do business with you". She explained to me that on the plus side, they were providing a dozen decent paying jobs with benefits to some of the local folks. I hunted up my DD214, took the free checking and left the account there.

There are other discounts to be had?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If I think of it, I'll ask and show them my retired ID card, and thank them very, very, kindly. If there is an age discount, I do that as well....not because it's "owed" to me, but because it's there.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Hey I'm not a vet and on the behalf of me and all the others like me I say ............

DON'T BE EMBARASSED TO USE IT!!! You earned it, you wouldn't feel bad about asking for a paycheck or vacation time would ya? It's not like you're taking charity.

LK
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

From time to time.

I get a discount from my oil company for being a vet.
Would I take free bread from a soup kitchen just for being
a vet? No....

I feel absolutely no shame taking a discount on oil!

Like Kilkenny said, you earned it. The company offered you
a discount. It's not like you're being offered charity and preventing
someone who really needs something from getting it.

DD214? Nope - just the honor system. I'm happy to bring it
b if they actually want to see it, but they say that's not
necessary. Maybe they trust me 'cuz I've been a good customer.

Just my two cents.......

-Stretch
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I know just how you feel. While I did 27-1/2 years with nearly 5 of them in the ROK I don't feel I've done anything to earn such things as the 10% discount at Lowe's. It galls me to do that. BUT!!! My wife says that a dollar is a dollar and so if she thinks of it and asks me to pull out the card I'll do it while she's there. That said, we offer 10% on most things to serving and retired military where I work on the weekends and I get employee discounts where I work. Everywhere I've been I have to show the ID. Lowe's must have had some fraud as a manager has to see and approve the card now.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Generally, no.

But when the .gov screwed up "employment law" with their stupid EEOC quota mandates I was forced to play their game. The more "points" I can get from being a Vet the more likely I am to actually get an interview - since skill sets matter less than EEOC "points".

Yay .gov... :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Standard discount in my shop has always been parts at cost and 10 percent off labor. I have never asked for any ID. Long history of Vets in my family and I am proud to offer a discount to these men.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If the proprietor of a privately owned business wants to show his appreciation for any given special interest by lowering his price to that group, it's a good thing economically for that group and enhances his standing in the eyes of his business clientele.

It's the same business tactic behind "Lady's Night."

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I never think of things like that. My wife does, but I usually try to avoid it. I did what I did, it's done. Now folks that are currently active surely deserve any discount they can get. Because, while they are paid a heck of alot more than I was, it's still real hard to make ends meet on a GI's salary, especially for those with kids.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Of course I do on the off chance they ask or advertise it. I was always grateful for a LEO discount when I carried a badge as well. It's private business, if someone wants to offer me a green eyes or Scandanavian discount I'd take that too!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Didn't know there were such things.
Hobie, howscome you never told me? :)

I did use the extra points that were offered to vets in applying for a job 30-something years ago. Didn't mind that.
Don't think I'd look for a veteran's discount at a store.
As a wise man said above, it was just something I did a long time ago. :)
Current armed services members are entitled to anything & everything they can get to help out, and I'd certainly encourage 'em to use it if available.

I started out at $288 a month way back when & made out OK, but I didn't have a family to feed.

Denis
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I am and always have been embarrassed to be called a 'vet'. I volunteered and served gladly in the
Air Force but never left CONUS. A Vet ( capital V) to me is someone who put themselves in harms way. I have the
utmost respect for veterans (both big and little v), it is just to me Veteran means so much more than I did.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Hey I'm not a vet and on the behalf of me and all the others like me I say ............

DON'T BE EMBARASSED TO USE IT!!! You earned it, you wouldn't feel bad about asking for a paycheck or vacation time would ya? It's not like you're taking charity.

LK
+1 - you deserve a whole lot more! Thank You for your service!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

No, I don't ask/take a vet's discount anywhere else, except for the $1K tax exemption my municipality gives vets on house taxes.

Same deal for "senior discounts " - I don't go looking or asking, but if asked by some company if I am, I'll accept their offering.

Maybe I'm just lazy.............................. :roll:

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Pete44ru wrote:No, I don't ask/take a vet's discount anywhere else, except for the $1K tax exemption my municipality gives vets on house taxes.

Same deal for "senior discounts " - I don't go looking or asking, but if asked by some company if I am, I'll accept their offering.

Maybe I'm just lazy.............................. :roll:

No... you aren't. And I forgot about that one. Next year I can skip my "homestead" property taxes alltogether if I bring in my DD214...

I'm all for paying less taxes for whatever reason.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Whether you left CONUS or not is irrelevant, you served. A guy who mans the console in a missile silo for a couple years is on the front line of his particular profession, even if he's not dodging bullets.

I did 3.5 years before getting dinged up.

I don't ask for it, but I don't turn it down either.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AND Senior discounts also!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

olyinaz wrote:Of course I do on the off chance they ask or advertise it. I was always grateful for a LEO discount when I carried a badge as well.
Oly
I did too, but always left the "retail" amount anyway. Sometimes that would lead to a "situation". You wouldn't believe what some folks'll think of the practice. I didn't until I was asked to teach the "ethics" couse at the local community college as part of the academy and as an elective for continued certification.
MrMurphy wrote:Whether you left CONUS or not is irrelevant, you served. A guy who mans the console in a missile silo for a couple years is on the front line of his particular profession, even if he's not dodging bullets.
I did less than year before being "dinged up", still finished my tour, getting dinged up twice more! But yep; where you served is unimportant, you signed the same contract I did. It was Uncle Sugar who decided the WHERE! S'long as you don't claim otherwise, who the he77 am I to judge?

Most vet discounts I see are for retirees, I don't qualify. Harumpf! LIFERS! Even worse when they get that GS job! (Present company excluded, I'm sure)! :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

What is a DD214 ?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

765x53 wrote:What is a DD214 ?
Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active duty

x
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

My folks ran a ran a hardware store when I was a kid and offered a vet discount. They were always very happy to give it to folks and I have always been under the impression that it was deserved. You guys put yourselves on the line for the rest of us who couldn't or wouldn't and have earned the perks available.

Eric
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

MrMurphy wrote:Whether you left CONUS or not is irrelevant, you served. A guy who mans the console in a missile silo for a couple years is on the front line of his particular profession, even if he's not dodging bullets.

Yep, some fought the Battle of D'nang, while others fought the Battle of Chicago, Minot, or Fayetteville - none had the choice, AFAIK. Orders is orders.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I use it when I see it posted. I often forget at home depot or so. Sometimes I remember. Not very consistent.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Never new about it until i read about it here, i`m going to check out the house tax thing though :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote:It's the same business tactic behind "Lady's Night."
Now that's just funny, no insults intended, but a good point.

The guvmint won't allow me to offer any discounts except to whatever groups they are currently trying to get votes from (usually single-moms with four or five different baby-daddy's), but I can sort of informally give discounts to pro-gun people (includes most vets, of course), and I do so (all within the limits of the law, of course :roll: ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

McDonald's is going to start offering coupon discounts & is arranging their menu by price. In this economy, stigma against using discounts has vanished.

Personally, I look forward to the .015% discount MidwayUSA occasionally offers on reloading stuff. That .26 really helps on an $80 purchase. :>)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The summary of your service record. Also shows your re-enlistment code.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Thanks for the replies guys. It was the Lowe's discount that prompted me to ask. I still don't think that I will utilize the discount. It is greatly appreciated but I won't actively seek it out.

I was USN and served during the mid-eighties. I know that we all are vets, but I too won't begin to compare my service to those who have been in combat, been wounded, etc.

I am also a former LEO and had the same thoughts about discounts offered then. If it was a large chain fast food, yeah, I would accept a discount on food, on duty in uniform, but only after trying to pay full boat.

I had a barber who owned his own shop try to give me a free cut after he learned I was a cop. I argued there was no way, it was coming right out of his pocket. We went back and forth until he finally agreed to take half price. When he finished, I tried to give him a tip. He would not take it .Again, I appreciated the offer, but, just because I had a badge, I didn't feel it was anyone's responsibility to pay me extra. They were already paying my salary with taxes.

I think the companies and businesses that offer the discounts are doing something good. If someone takes them up on it, that is cool with me. I just can't bring my self to ask. My wife says I am weird, but she knew that before she married me.

Kevin
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

The only benefits that I have used are VA Loan for my home, ALL of my GI Bill entitlement, and during the 12 years that I lived in Georgia my Driver's License was free plus it said "veteran" at the top. I am confident that it got me out of more than one ticket.

Thinking about that; I can't EVER remember getting a ticket when I lived in Georgia. I think that the free license is only offered if service was during or between certain dates; mine was because I was a Viet Nam Era Veteran, NOT a Viet Nam Veteran.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

The only place I use it at is Lowes other then there I don't ask. My wife on the other hand ( I call her the CFO :lol: ) asks every where we go. Sometimes it works out to be a heck of a discount especially at small businesses major chains not so much.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

JReed wrote:The only place I use it at is Lowes other then there I don't ask. My wife on the other hand ( I call her the CFO :lol: ) asks every where we go. Sometimes it works out to be a heck of a discount especially at small businesses major chains not so much.
The wives always ask because they're proud of us, guys. They only tell us it's to save money so we don't let it go to our heads! That's how they work, they can be proud and brag on you, but you better not get proud and brag on yourself!
:lol:
To the OP, don't think of it as a handout. Think of it as a kind or generous gesture. When someone holds a door open for you, you don't say "hey, close it, i can open the door myself". No, you say "thanks" and hurry through the door.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
MrJudgeOC
Levergunner

Post by MrJudgeOC »

Last year at my sons boot camp graduation at Ft Benning they made a "big to do" about vets. There were hundreds of people in attendance and asked for all the vets to stand. It wasn't merely a minute of recognition, it was a major deal that went on and on. I did not stand. The day was for the graduates and what they were about to do, not me.

On topic: I do not, and have not, taken advantage of a vets discount. I do like the possible "tax break" and am going to look into it. When I was a cop, we were forbidden to accept ANY discounts for cops. People were fired over that. I did, however, offer a "discount" to any vets I encountered during my duties, lol.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My DD 214 is long gone and, no, I have not taken advantage of any vets discounts, not even a mortgage. No CalVet, no GI anything. Never occurred to me, I guess. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mike D. wrote:My DD 214 is long gone and, no, I have not taken advantage of any vets discounts, not even a mortgage. No CalVet, no GI anything. Never occurred to me, I guess. :|
You can, and should get a replacement. Go here. http://www.archives.gov/veterans/milita ... e-records/

When my dad passed away, we found his separation papers hadn't fared very well. This was in 1988. It was a bit of a hassle until we contacted our Congressman. That gentleman's office handled it quickly. We also found out that Dad had a few decorations, including a Silver Star we knew nothing about. Funny how Dads never seem to mention that kind of stuff.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Regardless of your job, or length, and place of service, you wrote Uncle Sam a blank check for your behind, and it could have been cashed up to the full amount that you had to give. Some business owners like to show a little appreciation. If they get a little "bounce" from that, good for them :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Griff wrote:
The summary of your service record. Also shows your re-enlistment code.
I guess mine must be in my short-timers bag, which has been in my duffel bag in the attic since '71.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Folks offer this stuff because they want you to use it. Its good for a direct sale in tough times and it is outstanding behavior for a company that other folks, ex-service or not, will reward for doing so. A good deed and good business, it is a win-win for everybody.

I wish Canadians would value our vets more. Those returning from war zones like Bosnia, Africa, and the Middle East deserve better here.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Canuck Bob wrote:Folks offer this stuff because they want you to use it. Its good for a direct sale in tough times and it is outstanding behavior for a company that other folks, ex-service or not, will reward for doing so. A good deed and good business, it is a win-win for everybody.

I wish Canadians would value our vets more. Those returning from war zones like Bosnia, Africa, and the Middle East deserve better here.
You've been darn good Allies, Bob...the very best.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

BlaineG wrote:
Canuck Bob wrote:Folks offer this stuff because they want you to use it. Its good for a direct sale in tough times and it is outstanding behavior for a company that other folks, ex-service or not, will reward for doing so. A good deed and good business, it is a win-win for everybody.

You've been darn good Allies, Bob...the very best.
+1
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

All this, "thank you for your service." and other stuff like that feels hollow to me. I consider it just like the once popular, "have a nice day." tripe. This current 'feel good' wave about the vets is fine for them but I feel it's really just the sheople trying to make themselves feel good and be part of the 'cool crowd'.

When I got out of the hospital in Jan 1970 after 7 months recovering from my wounds, I got spit on and called a baby killer. There is nothing on this earth that will ever let me forget that or forgive the ignorant, flippant jerks who make up 'popular culture.' Not then, and certainly not now. The fact is that some times you just can't un-ring that bell and the populous is on this wave of 'feel good' stuff so it's all just phony stuff to me.

I just say, "no thank you" and move on.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Bullard4075 wrote:I am and always have been embarrassed to be called a 'vet'. I volunteered and served gladly in the
Air Force but never left CONUS. A Vet ( capital V) to me is someone who put themselves in harms way. I have the
utmost respect for veterans (both big and little v), it is just to me Veteran means so much more than I did.
I used to think that way too. Also a USAF vet who spent most of my time in the horrible conditions of California in the 70s (it were not bad duty as I recall), "Sam" never did give me those four years of my youth back, and I was 28 when I graduated college, far behind my age-mates.

I don't carry my DD214 around, but DO have a VA ID card (medical), which ought to suffice IF I ever was even aware of such discounts.

I do SOMETIMES get "senior" coffee these days at McDonalds, depending on how I am dressed...... With the bike clothes, doo rag and sunglasses, not so much, but hat off, no glasses, yeah, them girls think I am ancient.
Certified gun nut
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

CO Steve, ya did what ya had to and yeah, paid for it in spades. But the times were what they were, a divided nation that was in serious trouble at home. You paid an un-deserved price for that, and yeah, ANY time soldiers are demonized, it's looking at the wrong house (CONGRESS and 1600 makes the plays) I hope the day comes you can find it in your heart to make peace with the radical anti-war crowd, as forgiveness is a two way gift, but no, NONE of us ought ever forget. I DO think our current vets are getting a better, more deserved shake. That is a good thing.
Certified gun nut
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

COSteve: BINGO! I feel the same way.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

I'll never forget those pretty Canadian nurses at the field hospital at Kandahar Airfield. Which reminds me, I was given a veteran's discount in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. The lady asked if I was a veteran, and I told her well, yes, but I'm an american, served with Canadian troops in Kandahar though. That counted in her book! Made me feel some real north american solidarity.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

adirondakjack wrote: I DO think our current vets are getting a better, more deserved shake. That is a good thing.
Well said. Like Steve said, you can't unring some bells, but I sure don't see it as any kind of negative how popular the "support our troops" thing is these days.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Steve, I hear what you're saying but an insincere Thank You is better than a punch in the nose. If they are truly insincere, just being PC and using it as a marketing gimmick then that just adds more reason to accept the offer, take em for what you can get.

But if they are being sincere then IMO you should take it. "It's not your choice if it's a gift" sound familiar to anyone.

LK
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

COSteve, my dad had similar experiences in 1969.

Coming home from the Gulf War, the seven or so veterans (including him) from our town who went got a parade, the whole bit. I think the reaction from Gulf War 1 was in some part, everyone feeling bad about what happened in Vietnam.

Not asking you to forget (as I know all too well, you never will), but.....people realize their mistakes, and try to make up.

He hasn't forgotten 1969 one bit, but 1991 did make up for it a little bit.

My one deployment was more or less a vacation, no shots fired, but the bombers we protected were dropping ordnance in Afghanistan daily, and the wing king made sure those of us on the ground supporting them knew what was happening because all the other guys made it possible. I had friends on the other end of that air support, and they were happy as hell to see a B-1B coming in full of ordnance.

I went in 'old' at 27, and now at 34 in college, it does kind of get to you at times. I had no desire to get out, I was up for re-enlistment and sergeant when i got my knees injured bad enough they canned me. I work in the game business (computer game design) and most of the young hippies I work with are respectful but don't really understand. The few of us vets stick together, for those days when you need to talk to someone who's been there. I've buried quite a few friends from all services in the last decade, and I had a kid at work ask me if it was worth it, i.e would I do it again.

I told him he had no comprehension of what I would do for just one more day. In my case, guard mount, arming up, rolling out on a fireteam, even if nothing happened... but... he wouldn't understand. Still doesn't.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I dont walk around with my hand out or ask at every place I do buisness, but if I do find out that they give Military Discounts, I cant whip out my RETIREE ID quick enough. It has definately saved me money over the years, and most places advertise that they provide a Veterans Discount if/when they do.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I accept it as it is iintentioned AFAICT. Enlisting inn WWII -veterans benefite never envisione for us - but - we sure were glad to get thatgI Bill for college - pre med for me plus first hald of first med school year - and, if you stayed in the upper third of your class - scholershoip was there t pay that tuition.

A strange thing happened years later - I was in a local businesws when the owner loudly announced to me he guessed he paid my way through med school through GI Bill - I said not entirely and asked if he would rather be speaking Japanese or German - left - and he shortly went out of business - I think he was getting into dimentia.

Korea was a different matter - troops were sacrificed - unfit for battle because the commanding general wasn't doing his job keeping hte troops in Japan battle ready - and such things as being caught at Chosin without winter supplies was also his fault - and costly.

The strangest thing to me was that, if you got and used GI Bill benefits after WWII, and then earned benefits from Korean War service, those used after WWII were subtrated from what you earned in Korean War - my thought was there shouldn't have been any relationship - much less losing any for second round of duty - I can assure you we didn't volunteer for Korea just to get more GI Bill benefits..

I accept the thanks in the spirit they are given but get the real satisfaction of knowing I contributed to our continued freedom - now, if we can keep it going at the voting boxes, it will have been worth while.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER