New Lever: Marlin 336 in 44 Mag.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

New Lever: Marlin 336 in 44 Mag.

Post by C. Cash »

Picked up a new rifle, which is actually for my middle son to go hog and deer hunting: a Marlin 336 in 44 Mag. I am not a Marlin guy, but I am pretty smitten with this rifle. It is amazing that something from about 1965 could look so nice and new. The microgroove rifling is very deep which suprised me....much deeper than the "Ballard Cut" rifling in some of the Big Bores I've seen. Now to cook up some loads.

I think I will order up Ranch Dog's 265 Grain Gas Check sized .432, but hoping to create a load which is both somewhat mild for an eleven year old but still kill quickly. So, any ideas for powder direction would be greatly appreciated. I shoot Unique with my Keith 250's and they were a dream out of the trapper, but I know this will probably be a different game with the slow twist rifling.

Lastly, a large thank you is in order to Edward Young, who was quite generous to offer me this rifle and was a man of his word through and through. Another member to be proud to associate with here. Sorry this picture is not the best:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Lever: Marlin 336 in 44 Mag.

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Ooh, that's cool and kinda hard to find - congrats!!

Looking forward to the range report :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Ooh, that's cool and kinda hard to find - congrats!!

Thanks OSOK......yeah I guess there were 6000 made, not sure if those were all with the saddle ring.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Good things happen to good people.
Blessings brother.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool...! I always wondered how they differ from the 1894's in the same chambering, in terms of function; it seems odd to use the long 336 action for a pistol cartridge, but I kind of wonder if maybe that makes it feed more smoothly. I know you said you're not a Marlin man, but have you ever compared the two...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Nice find, looks like it's in great condition!

I had one back in the 70's. It had the saddle ring also.

They were adapted from standard 336's before they started up with the new version of the 1894 actions. What I recall about it was, they had a spring loaded thing on the lifter to help the shell go into the chamber straighter. Mine didnt feed semi-wadcutter loads very well, they hung up on the edge of the chamber. It was happiest with jacketed bullets, or at least bullets that didnt have sharp edges on them.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

One fine weapon-----------congrats!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you fellas, and for the kind words Mescalero. Blessings to you as well brother. I guess I should clarify Doc. I just never delved into Marlin territory as a young man....no real reason for my prejudice except a lack of exposure. I guess I was drawn to the Win. for it's history and the fact that I considered it more of a fighting man's gun. Always thought of the Marlin as more of a "woods rifle" and something I would buy someday but no rush. Also, my first lever was a 94 Win. and such things tend to stick with us.

Malamute.....the Ranch Dog bullet looks to have the correct profile then. The bore seems to be .432 and change so hope it works well.
http://www.carolinacastbullets.com/44_S ... agnum.html
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It still has the sharp edged shoulder like the Keith types. An LBT style may feed smoother, as they have a smooth transition from full diamter to the flat point.

You can always try some and see how they go. Yours may be happier with them than mine was. Let us know how it goes.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Malamute wrote:It still has the sharp edged shoulder like the Keith types. An LBT style may feed smoother, as they have a smooth transition from full diamter to the flat point.

You can always try some and see how they go. Yours may be happier with them than mine was. Let us know how it goes.
Do you think a very small, smooth radius on the chamber would help them along?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Little history lesson !

The Marlin 336-44 was made from 1963 to 1967 . In the years of 63 and 64 the rifle had no saddle ring the years of 65 , 66 and 67 however did have the saddle ring . Forgive me but I don't remmember the exact number that was supposedly made but the non saddle ring guns are a bit more "rare" if one is into collecting/accumulating .

I have one of these also . Well actually it's the second one I've owned . Both of the ones I own or have owned were made in 1967 and both shoot and or shot cast nicely .

I just recently did some testing of the new and not yet released Ranch Dog 432-240GC mold in this exact rifle . You might rethink the 265 grain RD bullet and lean more towards the 240 grainers since recoil with an 11 year old might be an issue .

FWIW here are the max loads I shoot in the 336-44, the velocities are vaerages of my own loads on a brand new Chrony taken this past wednesday around noon . Temp was approx 67-69 degree's .

Ranch Dog 432-240GC 25 grains H110 , 1863 FPS

Ranch Dog 432-265GC 23 grains H110 , 1732 FPS

Ranch Dog 432-300GC 21 grains H110 , 1578 FPS

Mountain Molds / Ranch Dog 432-325GC 20 grains H110 , 1559 FPS

All four of those are max loads and obviousely can be stepped down from a good bit .

The two pics above were taken the day I got the rifle right before Xmas 2011 and it has no good Bushnell 3-9 on top . I've since replaced that with a nice old Weaver K3 and added a couple coats of Tung Oil to the wood .

Here are a couple recent targets shot with the 336-44 and the Ranch Dog 432-240GC .

The Ranch Dog 432-240GC before lubesizing !

And ready to be loaded !

Oh one final thing the Mountain Molds Ranch Dog 432-325GC is not something thats available to the public in mold form or in ready cast bullets . Thats a mold I had made up last summer to fill the gap between the Ranch Dog 432-300 and 432-350 . But if truth be told there wasn't really a gap there that needed filling , but I like the bullet nontheless !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Malamute wrote:It still has the sharp edged shoulder like the Keith types. An LBT style may feed smoother, as they have a smooth transition from full diamter to the flat point.
I cast and shoot ALL the RD 44 and 45 cal bullets in 44 MAG's , 444's and 45-70's . I also cast and shoot several of the LBT bullets . Both are fine and as to the feeding dependability of the RD bullets , as of yet I've NEVER had ANY problems .

I shoot a good many SWC GC bullets from RCBS and Lyman molds in the 444's and I gotta say I've not had feeding issues with them either .
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

+1 to what Mescalaro said. very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

C. Cash

NICE GUN.

I wonder what the twist rate is to stabilize 6pt's 325gr bullet. That was my handgun load and it's a hammer on deer.

My son shot his Marlin 1894 from an early age with 240gr jsp store bought ammo. I can't remember how young he was, but the recoil never bothered him. It's a great deer load and N. made a lot of venison with it.

A thought about H110 though. It is supposed to be used at near max pressures and carries a warning about not reducing it very much from published loads.

I think trail boss or 2400 would be good for reduced loads, and any of those bullets at 1000 to 1100 fps is going to kill anything deer size on down. And be pretty gentle on the wood end too. At those velocities I shot a lot of deer with a handgun and 325gr loads, the lighter bullets will do just as well on deer.

6pt's results are outstanding. The 1894 we used will not stabilize the 325s, it's great that the 336 will. It's a dynamyite game load.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you guys! That is a great report 6pt.....wow. That is a sweet shooting rifle/loads. Micro Groove is apparently not an issue! Also suprised your shooting the heavy heavies out of it as well, with the slow twist. Very much appreciate that info.

My boy tolerates skeet shotgun type loads in 20 and 12 with little problems. We get to the turkey loads and he starts to hate pulling the trigger(heck so do I!) :shock: . He shoots my buddies 243 with no problems. Just don't want to kill him with the recoil but he may have to learn how to deal with it.

I'll get a report up as soon as I can get some loads together, and hopefully some better pictures of this dandy little rifle.

Edit: Thanks Grizz......very much appreciate your input! Will definitely be trying the 2400.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

That's a nice rifle!! 8) I wouldn't mind one
of those myself.....

Interesting to note that 240gr. load posted above.
It's throwing a heavier bullet faster than the original
30/30 load, and it makes a SIGNIFICANTLY bigger hole.
The only disadvantage against the 30/30 might be the
longer-range (100 yds +) ballistics. But it's a shorter-range
hammer for sure!

As also mentioned above, 2400 might be a more versatile
powder for lower end loads.

-Stretch
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Great reply 6pt! Good stuff there.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'm not normally a Marlin guy either, but this is sweet! Slim (!) forend and saddle ring--nice touches. Reminds me in some ways of an old 1893 (ca 1898) SRC I saw recently and how modern-day Marlins should be made.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Grizz wrote:6pt's results are outstanding. The 1894 we used will not stabilize the 325s, it's great that the 336 will. It's a dynamyite game load.
With mine the 325's shot nicely at 100 yards but they start to yaw just enough for you to see the telltale signs .

I wouldn't however be afraid to shoot a deer or black bear at 100 yards with that load .

If I'm not mistaken the twist in these things is the same as the old 444's 1-38 . I've got a older Ruger 44R carbine and again if I'm not mistaken the twist is 1-30 something as well , but that isn't as great an issue as i don't have any plan to shoot cast in the little gas operated rifle .
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

the 1894 is 1:38 and it throws the 325s sidewise thru plywood and out the sides of water jugs. same load is accurate as all get out from the sbh 10" barrel.

are you totally sure those older 336s have slow rifling too? I guess you would be. It's a mystery to me. I always regretted that I couldn't get the 325s to work in the little Marlin.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Thanks, Chris. I hope you and your son enjoy adding some character to that Marlin. Chris is also among the finest of Levergunners. And he's a source for Peanut Butter Meltaways - possibly of more importance than the whole honorable Levergunner thing.
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

The fence and the rifle look great. ;-) How are you enjoying our early spring? Are the Meltaways homemade or from Gardners? :-)
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Definitely Gardners.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Very nice rifle C. Cash. I am envious!!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My Marlin 1894, .44mag. Loves the RD bullet over a hefty charge of 2400.
You will like it!! :wink:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks guys!
Edward: Thank you Sir and we will do our best to give it some character. 2nd(unmelted)batch of meltaways will be off today. I have a new plan to get them to you in non-liquid form! :wink:

Mav: Great to hear! The weather is incredible.....itching to get out there in the woods but the wife is in Nashville this week. Hope you guys are good.

Gonna pick up some 2400 this week and get the bullets ordered. Thanks for all the kind comments and info! Feel like a kid in a candy store with this rifle..should be fun.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

C. Cash wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:Ooh, that's cool and kinda hard to find - congrats!!

Thanks OSOK......yeah I guess there were 6000 made, not sure if those were all with the saddle ring.

My reference materials show production of the 336-44 as ,

2,823 made in 63 and 64 without the saddle ring

13,895 made in 65, 66 and 67 with the saddle ring .

It also says the ones made in 63 and 64 were called "336 Magnum Carbines" and the ones with the saddle ring were called "336T" or 336 Texan Carbine .
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you 6pt! More than I thought. Mine is not marked with T or Texan....hmmmm.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

C. Cash wrote:Thank you 6pt! More than I thought. Mine is not marked with T or Texan....hmmmm.
Neither is mine but thats the way they were advertised .