Metal parts storage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Metal parts storage

Post by chadbr »

I have some spare parts for my granddads K98 Mauser he brought back from WW2. An extra bolt, ejector, front wood band, etc.

In any case I live around Houston where the humidity is always about 300%. I'm concerned concerned about these parts rusting and I'm wanting to put them in some container...

So what is the best? Hardwood box? Plastic (condensation?)

Thanks,
Chad
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Metal parts storage

Post by harry »

Some bags like these:http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG196-1.html , and a ammo can would work for you.
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Light oil on the metal. Seal a meal bags. Suck out the air. Put 'em in a box.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

If it were me, I'd vacuum seal them in a Food-Saver bag.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

You could always use the tried and true cosmoline.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Coat 'em with RIG, put in vacuum pack.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Just take a plastic kitchen bag, spray everything totally with a can of Lemon Pledge(foam it good)
Throw the stuff in the bag, wrap er up good squeezing as much air as you can out and put it somewhere.

If you really want to get crazy-----use two bags (do it for the wood stuff as described above)
Second bag------------Buy a big jar of Vaseline and a take a small paint brush and coat the stuff out of the metal stuff then seal er up.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mich hunter wrote:You could always use the tried and true cosmoline.
THAT makes sense. :D many times we have forgotten the "old tried and proven ways". See what marketing has done to us all?------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I only remember trying to get that stuff off.

I'd never knowingly curse some future generation by putting it on.

But... maybe that's why my old Mauser lasted long enough to end up in my gun rack.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Wax or grease, about any kind.
Certified gun nut
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: Metal parts storage

Post by claybob86 »

chadbr wrote:In any case I live around Houston where the humidity is always about 300%. I'm concerned concerned about these parts rusting and I'm wanting to put them in some container...
I guess the place has dried up a bit since I lived there... Anyway, I never had problems with rust as long as I wiped things with a good quality gun oil occasionally.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

While often overlooked for storing parts, a good practice is to mark or label the bag(s) and/or box that the parts are stored in.

I always put a tag on the part identifying it as well as marking all four sides and the top and bottom of the box holding them. The box is then tapped together if it does not have a good lid. By doing this, no matter how it is placed in a storage cabinet or drawer, or on a shelf, I can easily tell what is in the box.

‘Dunno' how many times I have heard of shooters, reloaders, woodworkers, model makers, etc., looking for the extra parts that they put in a plastic bag, box, container, etc., only to find that they could not find them because they were misplaced, inadvertently thrown out, or some how discarded.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Great ideas guys... Thanks!