I may have missed out on a good 2 for 1 today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

I may have missed out on a good 2 for 1 today

Post by shooter »

Went to the gun show today to pass the time and get out of the house. Followed a guy in that was selling a Win 94, serial # in the 770,000 range in 30-30, and a Marlin 1893 in an unknown caliber. I think the Marlin may have been re-barreled as there were no markings, but it looked to be a small caliber, maybe a 25-20? Anyway, they were both in decent looking shape. Hardly any blue left, but hardly any pitting and a nice patina. Wood was in ok shape. The Win 94 had been drilled and tapped for a scope with some scratches around the holes, but no big deal for a shooter. I just didn't have any money to spend or I would have walked out with two new shooters. Guy quoted me $500 for the pair. I may have been stupid, but I turned him down for lack of funds. I looked for him again after I thought about it for a while but didn't find him. Guess it wasn't meant to be.....
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: I may have missed out on a good 2 for 1 today

Post by adirondakjack »

He probably sold em before the coffee he'd left in his truck was cold.
Certified gun nut
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

May have sold 'em that quick but if they were worth it...I dunno.

For two shooters, that's a good price. For a parts gun and a shooter, so-so price. For two parts guns, not so good.

That's the thing about shows, unless you know the person, it's "uncertain heritage, unknown condition."

I wouldn't be staring at the ceiling tonight worrying that you missed on a deal of a lifetime. There's still plenty of shiny pebbles in the stream.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`ve done that before, like ya said meant to be maybe.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I'm not kicking myself too bad. I could have grabbed the 94 for $300 by itself, but I'm not losing any sleep. I just wasn't willing nor do I need to spend that kind of money right now. If I thought it was the deal of a lifetime I would have grabbed them and scrimped in some other areas for a few weeks. With my possible upcoming surgery and uncertain income I thought it best not to put myself in a tight spot.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If the Marlin "was" a model 1893 the cartridge it fired would not have been a 25-20 .

25-36 Marlin or possibly 25-35 WIN perhaps .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !