Rainier Bullets question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tony
Levergunner

Rainier Bullets question

Post by Tony »

I just picked up some Rainier Bullets. They are 158 grain copper plated flat points for 357 mag. I used some Rainier Bullets in my 9mm and they worked great so I thought I give them a try in my Rossi carbine and Ruger BH. They do not have a crimp grove and the web sight said to give them a light taper crimp.
If you have used these bullets, how did they work for you and how tight of a crimp did you give them?
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I was driving those to around 1800fps and they actually grouped very well at 50yds.

I used a heavy crimp using the Lee FCD.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I've used Rainiers in my 357 Sig and they've worked well for me too. I've used plated bullets in my 45 Colt with a light roll crimp since I don't have a taper crimp die and it has worked well.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've used them in the .357 and .45s. They work pretty good.
I've been told by the techs at Rainier to avoid roll crimps as that can break the bond between the plating and the lead. I've actually had this happen.

However I recently visited the Rainier site and they state there that roll or taper crimps can be used, but not to crimp excessively. Now I'm confused.

I'll stick with my taper crimping, I know that work.

Joe
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

meanc wrote:I was driving those to around 1800fps and they actually grouped very well at 50yds.

I used a heavy crimp using the Lee FCD.
Ditto except I was closer to 1700 fps.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I use a 185gr in my .45acp at 1100fps or so. I use a heavy Lee FC also. Looks like I'm in good company.