need a suggestion semi OT

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cavebear803
Levergunner

need a suggestion semi OT

Post by cavebear803 »

Question for the flock... If you were going to have a NEF 22hornet rechamberred to 25/35 who would y'all recommend for the job? Any idea of cost? cheaper the better, I am looking to make me up a woods loafer gun that I can hunt coyotes as well as let people use for a back up deer rifle if they need it. Thanks for any and all help Hollis
Everyday is a learning day!
Pain is good, pain is our friend, pain is the ONE TRUE constant in a changing world! Sargent David L. Meyers gone but not forgotten.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

A new barrel would be cheaper than a rebore and chamber job dont you think? :)
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Since it's an NEF, a rebore and rechamber is the only choice he'll have. NEF doesn't offer a 25-35 barrel and the do not do custom work. I have an ultra varmint in 223 Rem and I love it but I'd look for a TC or Ruger #1 if I were going to spend that money. If that's out of the question, look at a cartridge that NEF does chamber and buy an accessory barrel.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Hollis,
You might try talking to some of the guys over on graybeard's outdoor forums. they have a special section set aside just for Handi rifles. I'm a big fan of Handi Rifles but if you're stuck on .25-35 you might be better off to go the contender route with a barrel from SSK. I think the closest factory Handi caliber might be .243.
Check their web site under the accessory barrel program to see what's available.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't know much about NEF's, but do they make another .25 caliber tha could be rechambered to the .25-35, if the twist rate would work?
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I'd contact Clearwater Reboring, formerly Cliff LaBounty's shop. See what they have to say. Reboring is typically not very expensive compared to a custom barrel.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

They do have a barrel that is chambered for a 25-06 but you'd have to remove the lug under the chamber, cut the barrel from the breech to remove the 25-06 chamber, rechamber the barrel and weld the barrel lug back on. I would imagine that you'd have to replace or re-contour the ejector to work with the new rim. PITA.
cavebear803
Levergunner

Post by cavebear803 »

thanks for the advice guys! I am stuck on the 25/35 cause I still have a lot of brass bullets and empty cases from when I still had my savage 99 takedown. Dumbest thing I have done recently was getting rid of it BEFORE the M-94 AE 25/35 was firmly in my chubby little hands! I sold it about a month before I found out that Winchesters were going like the buffalo!! Anyway I really like the caliber and would love a single shot NEF in this caliber. More checking and I may just break down and buy one of the 2 solid frame 99's at the local "candy" store both in 250-3000. I am fairly sure he would give me a good deal on my reloading stuff. Still wouldn't be the same but still good. Hollis
Everyday is a learning day!
Pain is good, pain is our friend, pain is the ONE TRUE constant in a changing world! Sargent David L. Meyers gone but not forgotten.