Rossi M92 & deep woods

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi M92 & deep woods

Post by Junior »

Took my Rossi 357 on a 2 mile jaunt through the deep woods this morning to check my Paleoindian site for looter damage. Had at least one visitor to the site, but no damage to report. (I have a way to know if someone has visited the site.)

I have some observations.

First, at only 6 lbs, 13 ozs w/sling and w/10, 158 gr SWC cast bullets in the rifle and 9 in its butt cuff, the little Rossi is a joy to pack in the woods. With that 158 gr bullet @ 1620 fps AV, it's potent medicine for anything on 4 or 2 legs a fellow might encounter in the north Louisiana woods.

Second, the trees are still fully leafed out, so it was dark in the deep woods long after the sun came up this morning. I like a .150" aperture in the Rossi's peep site, but evidently I've suffered a little vision loss in my aiming eye since last hunting season. If a deer had stood in even a small thicket in those dark woods, I would have had trouble seeing it due to the edges of the aperture obscuring the view. So I removed the aperture and used the hole as a ghost ring as I've read about others doing.

Dang, if it didn't make a BIG difference in target visibility in those dark woods. Think deep woods on a full moon night. That's how dark the woods were at 0730 this morning. So from now on with my woods rifles equiped with peep sights, the apertures will stay at home.

Third, I saw zero fresh deer and hog tracks. As the acorns are just now starting to fall, maybe that's the reason. The piney woods land along a 3 mile edge of my deep woods was logged all summer so maybe that had something to do with the lack of deer and hog sign. Both species spend most of the day in the piney woods. But the logging has ended, so until the 34 days until muzzleloader season, 41 'til rifle season, maybe they'll return.

I saw only one squirrel which was as unusual as the lack of big game sign. I had great fun pretending I had my 12 ga muzzleloading shotgun in hand and sneaking up on him. I better say TRYING to sneak up on him. I looked down to take one more step closer, and when I looked up again he was gone. And in a fully leafed out and very large oak tree, he was invisible to me. I could not find him again!

As he was only 100 yards from my campsite, he has a date with a pot of gravy. I plan to pitch my tent in around 21 days. I took a hoe with me in the truck this morning and did some small bush chopping on my tent site. I also delivered a bunch of oak limb sections for my firewood pile.

A trespasser had burned some of my wood and blessed me with a garbage sack of beer cans and bottles. Wasn't that nice of him? Last year the garbage included 4 drug needles. I'm looking forward to the day I can have live satellite imagery on my computer. To a satellite, a trespasser's deep woods bonfire will shine like a neon light.

Last year at this same time I had a nice firewood pile. Along came a flood and washed some of it away and some of it in the bushes along the edge of the lake. Trying to pull a large chunk up the bank after the lake went down, I wrenched my back.

Hopefully, this year I'll get to pitch a tent in the deep woods.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice story Jr.
Old Law Dawg
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Heal well Jr.
Sure was tempted by your offer last year. Sounds like the place to be to be close to what's important.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You had a better time than I! Much better, I was at "work". :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Junior,

I do envy you. There is no place in IL that I know of that I could go for a walk in the woods out of hunting season and carry a gun.
Think deep woods on a full moon night. That's how dark the woods were at 0730 this morning.
I don't like woods that are that dark. They give me the ebee jebees. I grew up in Arizona. I like the big old pine forrests. They can get pretty dense, but not like some of these forrests in the east, south, and mid west.
So from now on with my woods rifles equiped with peep sights, the apertures will stay at home.
I've shot my peep sighted guns in various lighting conditions, and so far, the apertures that the factories send with the sights have worked well for me. However I will admit I've never "seriously" tried to use them as a ghost ring without an aperture. I'll have to give that a try the next time I take one out.

I hope you can identify the trespassers, but don't get yourself in too deep.
They might not be friendly.

Joe
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

J Miller wrote:They might not be friendly.

Joe
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

J Miller wrote:Junior,

I do envy you. There is no place in IL that I know of that I could go for a walk in the woods out of hunting season and carry a gun.
Think deep woods on a full moon night. That's how dark the woods were at 0730 this morning.
I don't like woods that are that dark. They give me the ebee jebees. I grew up in Arizona. I like the big old pine forrests. They can get pretty dense, but not like some of these forrests in the east, south, and mid west.
So from now on with my woods rifles equiped with peep sights, the apertures will stay at home.
I've shot my peep sighted guns in various lighting conditions, and so far, the apertures that the factories send with the sights have worked well for me. However I will admit I've never "seriously" tried to use them as a ghost ring without an aperture. I'll have to give that a try the next time I take one out.

I hope you can identify the trespassers, but don't get yourself in too deep.
They might not be friendly.

Joe
Joe, there's places all over this USA where a fellow can roam the woods with a levergun any time he wants, just like I do. Why don't you move?

The trespassers are just people wanting a place to build a bonfire and get drunk and smoke dope all night. They're relatively harmless. The site looters are a different story. They're way more than not friendly--they're downright mad. I shut down their arrowhead mine.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Joe, there's places all over this USA where a fellow can roam the woods with a levergun any time he wants, just like I do. Why don't you move?
Junior, we're workin on it.

Joe
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Thats a real nice sounding expedition I'd say. :D
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I agree Junior, those little Rossi are a joy to carry in the woods. Have ya'll been as dry as we have in Middle Tennessee? I'm wondering what effect the drought will have on small and big game around here. We have found some deer that we think died from a form of CWD (bluetongue?). We have found them next to water sources and they say that is so because they have a fever. The extreme drought caused a spike in the CWD, or so they say. I think the acorn crop will be WAY down here this year.

Great report from the "Sportsmans Paradise" of Lousiana!
Last edited by DerekR on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Great report Junior. I could almost picture it. Me, I spent the weekend driving the "shortest" route between Union Gap, WA and Reno, NV. Some very pretty country. It was the first time I'd been thru south central OR. I could see me in that part of the country. Then this am, I got to attend a CAS match outside Carson City, NV. Good time, wished I'd of had my guns!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My arrowhead mines are all alive and well, Junior. On a good day I can glean as many as 40+ perfect ones. No worry about trespassing, I own the land. :)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

Did you hook up with LeverBob? He's just outside of Carson City?

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Griff,
Did you hook up with LeverBob? He's just outside of Carson City?
Joe
No, I didn't know I was comin' down here until Friday nite. And didn't have good internet service most of yesterday. Spent most of that looking what was around here besides houses of ill-repute (those have signs letting know where they are). :shock: Sitting in Reno till I load up (cotton balls) to take down to Mexico tomorrow am.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Mike D. wrote:My arrowhead mines are all alive and well, Junior. On a good day I can glean as many as 40+ perfect ones. No worry about trespassing, I own the land. :)
Well, what you're doing is probably legal. Whether it's moral is a different story. You're destroying history. All of us own history.

Derek, we had a drought here, too. The only acorns I saw yesterday morning were from pin oaks.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

No morality or destruction of history issues here, Junior. It's all farmed land and has been for generations. The original mounds were leveled in the early '60s, leaving the contents scattered around the site. I just walk the fields after a heavy winter rain, picking up what is exposed. We don't ever dig, because there are skeletal remains not far beneath the surface. For the same reason there is no deep ripping or discing allowed at those locations.

Willful destruction or disturbance of human remains is not only immoral, it is highly illegal under the NAGPRA of 1990. Back in the day, nobody cared what happened to the graves of Native Americans, but these days all of the tribes want their relatives remains returned for reburial. By now, all museum collections have been repatriated to their closest known tribal association and rightly so.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Junior,
How's your temperature been? (OK, OK, 98.6, I know, I know!:) ) We were down to 39f this morning and there's talk of rain maybe coming in towards the weekend and radio said something about a morderate to heavy La Niña getting ready to do it's thing (I can never remember if this is a good thing or a bad thing). Somebody reported heavy frost up in MN I think. So were you in a light sweater for your expedition or have you broken out the heavy jackets? My son is stationed over at Biloxi (Keesler AFB) and he says it's been 85F with the humidity about 80%.
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

It was 56.2 degrees at daylight here this morning, Tom. I wore a t-shirt and a long-sleeve flannel shirt, which I removed around 0800. I'm hoping the cool spell is here to stay!!

Here at noon the ol' atomic clock says it's 83.9 outside.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Same up here. We were in the mid 80s at 6500 ft, but have dropped to the 70s in the past few days. Mornings are cool at the mid 30s, but still wearin' shorts and T-shirts. The weekend will likely be down to the high 20s just before sunrise, but it'll sure warm up again.