Dishonest dealer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Dishonest dealer

Post by Old Ranger »

I seldom start a post as I usually am the quiet type for the most part. However, I was less than impressed today at a local dealer in town close to home. I have an '81 production Browning B92 in .44mag. It's right at 95+% or better. For the life of me I can't hit a flock of barns with it at 50 yds., so I decided to trade it for another weapon I can shoot. Simple enough you'd think.....

I went to a local dealer in town this afternoon and as he was fingerprinting the weapon to death and playing with the action, he was searching the net on that weapon. Finally he calls "a buddy" and they talk a bit....He looks up finally and says "Well they sold for around $350 or so when they were new. The list I got say at 80% they are at $340. That's what I'd have to put on it when I sell it." Yeah right and I can fly like a bird in my underware too! This guy offered me $125 and said he was loosing money at that! His weapons are priced REAL HIGH for the ones I saw there!

Now I was a licensed dealer and gunsmith for well over 30 years. I know how the game is played, but this guy was a real corker! I told him from the get-go that the wholesale on the piece was at $350 AND the resale (RETAIL) was at $575 and up....He smirked and said "Well the net says it sells for $340 and my buddy says I shouldn't go any more than $125 on it." So I put my smudged up and fingerprint laden weapon back into the case and advised this "dealer" that he should try holding the gun POINTING at the person he's trying to rob. It would be better that way as I was not going to do business with a such a bold thief as he was. I closed the case and walked out.....I'll use that weapon as a fencepost before I'd sell it to that twerp!

Thanks for listening to this oldman's rambling grip...

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Dishonest dealer

Post by Mescalero »

Rambling gripe my New Mexico posterior!
Post his name so we ALL avoid him.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

You could try posting it in the Classifieds Section here. There seem to be a bunch of fellers here that like those Brownings. Good luck !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yes, there are many dealers like that, especially here in the east. The gun dealers that I am personal friends with will usually offer about 50-75% of a price they know they can get for the gun...easily, or as I say "any day of the week". Internet pricing has no place here. Percentages go up with NIB, out of production, weird calibers, pre-1898, or just plain "hard to get" guns.

A "for instance" would be your gun. If the going full retail price is $595, it will easily sell for $495. Therefore, the offer would be at least $250, more is the desirability factor is there. On a $2,000 Winchester or S.A Colt, the offer would be in the $1500 range.

One thing great about this nation of capitalists----------you can choose not to sell or not to buy. You wisely chose not to sell, but obviously there are pleanty of "fish" who don't know the pricing and that is what that dealer is doing. It won't take long, he will get a reputation and soon be out of business. Knowledge is power.

Relax. Don't let the AH get the better of your emotions. Use him to get rid of your junk or if you need to take a leak, do it on the side of his building. :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am thinking it over but I don't think I would deal with him. What is the name and why did you go beyond his initial offer in even talking to him?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

OS,
Keep an eye on me here, I predict the air will be ringing with perjorative statements.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Wade. I just traded for one of the same vintage.. an 81.. mine likes lighter bullets.. loads of 180 gr. lead ahead of 9 gr. Unique should do the trick.. It also does well with 240 gr JSP with a stiff load of H110. This one shoots well, but I had another a few years back I couldn't do much with.. don't understand all I know about 'em.. Check gunbroker.. they go for quite a bit more than that dooffass suggested.... Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When you come in our shop and have something you wanna sell or trade . I'm gonna tell you up front what I value the gun at for resale , then I'm gonna tell you I cannot offer you more then 60% of the guns value , otherwise it leaves me no room to work and make a dollar or two .

I try and tell everyone up front what and why I offer what I do . I will show them what the said item is listed at on Gunbroker and show them the prices of ones moving and how I arrived at their value . And then I say if your gun is worth $100 all I can give you is $60 plain and simple .

Personally I think it's kinda hard to get mad at someone that tells you up front and honestly exactly what their plan is !

Now for those that try to rape you coming and going I have nothing to say for them .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Ive came to the understanding that unless its private party
tradin, it aint gonna happen
a while back though i made a good trade with a dealer, but I had alot of
WOW factor in that gun & he wanted it, so that went very well, but that was the first time in 15 yrs
ollogger
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Yeah, I do know the game. As I said, I was a dealer too, but also a cop at the same time. 80% of my customers were PD. Did tons of 1911 tune ups and tricking out, as well as custom work on revolvers and some long guns. In that time, be they cop or not, I treated all my customers like I wanted to be treated. When I bought a weapon from someone, I'd tell them that I was required to make a profit to keep the people with the letters in their name happy, and I was in business to make a modest profit. I would advise them first to sell their weapon in the newpaper and try to get the retail price for themselves. I'd tell them the fair market value and if they insisted on my buying the weapon, I'd also tell them the wholesale value and that I was going to offer them that, or slighty above that, for their weapon. Further, I'd give them a bit more as a trade, if that was what was their need. Being honest was what I as taught as a child and it kinda stuck with me :)

The shop I went to today was one that was bought out by another, but I had done business with the former owner. This new guy is a real piece of work. I should have known better when I saw a blown up pictute of him posing with the guys from Pawn Stars hanging on the wall behind the counter! Oh well, I'll not be going back there anytime soon....

Thanks,
Wade
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:roll: no wonder.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

A photo of himself posing with "posers" is indicative of his base intelligence, or should I say lack thereof. :roll:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Everybody wants to make a few bucks when you can but that is just wrong. There is no reason to cheat people like that.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Dave wrote:Everybody wants to make a few bucks when you can but that is just wrong. There is no reason to cheat people like that.

Are you referring to the original dealer in question or my practice of giving a person no more then 60% of the value on a trade or when they sell it to me ?
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

What a jerk!

I'll give you $150.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

6pt-sika wrote:When you come in our shop and have something you wanna sell or trade . I'm gonna tell you up front what I value the gun at for resale , then I'm gonna tell you I cannot offer you more then 60% of the guns value , otherwise it leaves me no room to work and make a dollar or two .

I try and tell everyone up front what and why I offer what I do . I will show them what the said item is listed at on Gunbroker and show them the prices of ones moving and how I arrived at their value . And then I say if your gun is worth $100 all I can give you is $60 plain and simple .

Personally I think it's kinda hard to get mad at someone that tells you up front and honestly exactly what their plan is !

Now for those that try to rape you coming and going I have nothing to say for them .
That is exactly how the local gunshop works. The shop keeper will show the book value on it and give you 60% of that. Nothing to hide ,explains it so all can hear. He gets plenty of repeat customers.

A friend used to have a motorcycle shop. If someone didn't like the trade in offer he gave towards a new bike. He would tell them to come out on Saturday and sit in their parking lot and sell it for what they wanted. usually by 2 o'clock they would take the owners offer. That is because he knew gave a fair offer, plus if the guy did sell it in the parking lot, the shop owner would still sell the guy a new bike.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

A Browning Model 92 in 44 Mag is a very nice little levergun. I am shocked that you can get one for less than $500.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

6pt-sika wrote:
Dave wrote:Everybody wants to make a few bucks when you can but that is just wrong. There is no reason to cheat people like that.

Are you referring to the original dealer in question or my practice of giving a person no more then 60% of the value on a trade or when they sell it to me ?
Sixty is generous....the place I deal and trust is usually half or less.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

6pt-sika wrote:

I was referring to the original dealer. I would say 60% is the industry standard. Here most places will grade you gun hard, give you 60% of what it's worth, then add 15% for the sale price. They grade it hard enough you are really getting about 50% of its value. At 85% of it's value it is still a good enough deal someone will buy it.

Trying to give a man $125 for a good B92 is an insult. That guy also made no money. If he had offered a fair deal be would have ended up making some money, developed a relationship with a customer, and enhanced his reputation. Having the relationships and reputation is what makes you money in the long run.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

I've got a like-new Marlin 336-44mag you might shoot better than that ol' 92. It's a 65-vintage with the saddle ring. I can't find the battery charger to my camera, or I'd post a picture. Just trying to help :D
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Well I figure he was either trying to get it for his shop real cheap and then sell it for around 6 bills or so, or.....his "Bud" he called was looking for one and was going to get it cheap for his pal. That's what I figure anyway. Either way he was sure trying to do a real rip off. But as I told him he should point the gun at someone when he went to rob them. I was polite as I could be during the time I was in his shop and didn't use any language that could be seen as a threat or profane. However, at the same time my parting remark was simple. I said that his business practice was in dire need of repair and that if he wished to continue to attempt to cheat people he should at least know how to at least lie better than he did with the "book price" he was alledgedly quoting from.

Listing his business name will, if he gets wind of it, cause to give him reason to sue for slander in this law suit happy country. I will not give him the satisfaction. Nope, I have another shop in mind that will be much better I believe and will go there Sat. if possible. Might find that S&W M29 4" I want so bad :lol: It's just a much longer drive than I usually pefer.

Sad really, as the old owner was a pertty good guy and had fair pricing and good customer relations. Too bad that could not have remained in the shop! Oh well.....Just might sick Pitchy on him with his airborne arrow flying machine. Death from above, with banjo music to boot, Pitchy style! :lol: :lol:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Sixgun wrote:
Relax. Don't let the AH get the better of your emotions. Use him to get rid of your junk or if you need to take a leak, do it on the side of his building.
that's funny--cracked me up...that's good social commentary... :)
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

6pt-sika wrote:

6pt, I believe that Dave was referring to the gun shop owner in the original post. I have a friend who deals in (used) guns as a side job and his policy is similar to yours, If he can't make 35% on a deal he won't buy or trade for it. Unless it is something that he wants to keep personally; then I've seen him pay or offer more.

I think that your 60% is pretty realistic, and more than many will offer.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Since you were once a dealer, you ought to be able to look at the bigger picture = I know I do................

FIRST - There are LOTS of "beginners" (for wont of a better term), out there, who think they can make a VERY GOOD living at gun dealing.

SECOND - I've learned that, whenever a "dealer" has to consult the web or a BBGV, that the "dealer" could just as well be selling pencils, for all he knows about guns. WALK AWAY w/o FURTHER ADO.

THIRD - None of them are in love with their wares, nor should they be. It's a "for-profit" BUSINESS, and not a non-profit. (This is America, where "profit" is not a dirty word)

FOURTH - If someone's smart enough to do their homework and find out how much their goods are worth, they should also be smart enough to figure out the best market for their wares, beit funshop, funshow, online, or private sale.

FIFTH - The next time you wanna sell a B92 for less than $700, turn around & let me give you a swift kick in the pants. ;) . :mrgreen:

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Pete44ru wrote: SECOND - I've learned that, whenever a "dealer" has to consult the web or a BBGV, that the "dealer" could just as well be selling pencils, for all he knows about guns. WALK AWAY w/o FURTHER ADO.
I've got to disagree with you on that one. Most of the sharper dealers I know are relying on the net more and more for values. Nobody is able to stay up on current market value on every model and variation (caliber, barrel length, etc.).
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

There is a BIG difference between a pawn shop and a gun shop. The dealer you went to sounds more like a pawn shop owner than a gun shop owner, particularly in light of the Pawn stars picture. He low balled you hard the same way he would some meth head selling his grandmas silver. He's also unqualified to make a gun appraisal if he has to call his buddy. Anyone with any gun world experience knows to check the online auction sights, that's what my dealer does when looking to price a gun and that's what I do. This dealer is unethical and looking to take advantage of people who need the money, steer clear and spread the word. It's his right to try and make a buck, it's your right to tell others how he does it.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JB wrote:
Pete44ru wrote: SECOND - I've learned that, whenever a "dealer" has to consult the web or a BBGV, that the "dealer" could just as well be selling pencils, for all he knows about guns. WALK AWAY w/o FURTHER ADO.
I've got to disagree with you on that one. Most of the sharper dealers I know are relying on the net more and more for values. Nobody is able to stay up on current market value on every model and variation (caliber, barrel length, etc.).

Yep I use Gunbroker not only as a selling tool , but also a place to give me a better grasp of what the "American Market" for firearms is instead of just the local area . Some things sell better in one area of the USA then they do in others . But by using GB you can cover them all and still have the item for sale in your shop !

And the Blue Book is a good tool as well . I mean not everyone knows the values of every grade of a Superposed Browning or every model of a Pre 64 Winchester .
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Being an old retired cop helps me "find out things" that some overlook. Found that the dealer's brother is a long time local crook, and the dealer was in business with the brother for years before he aquired this shop. Some local folks I quietly interviewed stated that the dealer has been involved in shady business for many years and is one that should be avoided at all costs as he will rip you off if he has half a chance...

A call or two to some of my local PD contacts here proved that the dealer has been investigated for fraud in the past, but no charges ever came about...Now why was I not surprised?? :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We have one around here who is 'honest', but I bought a 17 HMR bolt-gun from him for maybe $250, and a week later got a good deal on a breakopen 17 HMR with a bull-barrel. Since it better suited my goals, I went to trade in (not just sell back) my bolt-gun to the same dealer I bought it from. I assumed that since I'd fired only four or five rounds through it, and it appeared still as-new, that I'd get at least $150 (and $200 would have seemed more 'fair'). I was told the most he could 'give' me was $75 - AND THIS WAS IN "TRADE" TOWARDS A NEW SIAGA RIFLE. . . :roll:

Needless to say - I just KEPT the gun, and figured it would do for a later trade or just a 'backup' gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Scandalous,
There was a time when things were different.
This is why I quit the gun show circut.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Do I understand you correctly, this PELOSI offers you $125 for A Browning M92, and claims he is losing money. :x .
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

You guys crack me up.

Some here have made low-ball deals for worth-while pieces and crowed about 'stealing' it from some poor sucker who didn't know what he had or what it was worth.

Now some poor excuse for a used gun schlub tries to lob one back and he's a dishonest cheat, a thief, a liar, and so's his brother.

I guess that dang shoe is on the other foot.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I always hate trying to trade or sell guns at pawn shops. I have only done it once on a trade. I swapped an old REM 870 Wingmaster for a .410 stoeger coachgun for my daughter. I finally talked the guy into giving me $125 for the shotgun. I am just glad that I only had $100 in it. :lol: When it comes to selling, I have done my best sells on GUNBROKER. When it comes to buying, I have a couple local pawn shops that I have done well at. As stated earlier, there are some that I know to stay well clear of. Buying from individuals on gun forums like this also has proven to provide fair deals and you dont typcially have to worry about getting burnt on a firearm.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Let me predicate this by stateing that I am not the keeper of the public morality.
But many times in the past I have advised widow women that they are not asking enough for the dearly departed's guns, even though I wanted it for myself.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol: quote " this PELOSI " :lol:
I think it was Joe that started that, and sometimes it is SO appropriate!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Mescalero wrote::lol: quote " this PELOSI " :lol:
I think it was Joe that started that, and sometimes it is SO appropriate!
Thats what the forumn substitutes for the "brown stuff" also "P_O_S" gets turned into "thing" But it keeps us from getting to out of line, but people like that have always ticked me off. Especially when they think the are so superior to you. I have nevr seen a B92 for less than $650 anywhere. Cause if'n i did it would follow me home. Especially a 32/20, like the one 'CLERK" claimed it was a pretty worthless caliber :evil: . Still wanted $950 and $1150 for the 2 he had :? When I asked him how many deer were killed by this and fed families, his comment was " there were 30 more wounded for every 1 that was brought home to eat . OK my rant is off
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I really do think it was started by Joe Miller, he decided that it should be appled to all distasteful people.
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Well all things come to an end at times, and sometimes even a good one.
Yesterday I paid a visit to a GOOD store in town and they are kinda like a big outdoors shop with all sorts of stuff. Got their own coffee shop to boot....So I sauntered up to the gun part of the store and ran into one of the employees I know. He and I got to talking about what was going on in the world and I spied a 4" S&W M629 in the case full of autoloaders of all colors and shapes. That big Smith was calling to me. It was on clearance and such so I was interested...

The manager got involved and he was super nice. Brought the Browning in and the manager called the CEO (on speaker phone so I could listen in) and asked if it was possible to take the levergun in as a tradein. It is not their policy to buy used guns, but the manager and his folks were trying to help me on this. The CEO was very nice and stated that the boad he answers to had put a halt to taking in any used firearms/bows/and such from a liability prospective. I can understand that. The manager thanked his boss, then looked at me and gave a sigh with the 'at least we tried look'. But...I was wanting that 4" Smith, and we made the deal right then. Rob, the manager, said that he will post my weapon on their bulletin board and try to find me a buyer and get me full retail for it.

I bought the Smith and got about $300 off and was tickled to death. I thanked all involved and made a bee-line home to my range!! This new model sure is a dandy. Not exactly like the old 29's and 29-2's I had in the past, but the action was perfect right outta the box! Sure did put a smile on my face when the blast hit me and the beachball muzzleflash lit up the pre-dusk in the woods at my range! Nice......and the groups were tight too!! :D

So, there ARE honest dealers, and there ARE dishonest dealers...Glad to business with the right one. So this Old Ranger is happy to have a 4" 629 in his old Jordan Border Patrol holster once again. That old holster and police rig has sat vacent of the right weapon for some years...Glad one came home....And from a dealer that went the extra mile on a single sale. That was refreshing... :D

Ranger, out......
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Here's a link to a gunbroker search - note the asking prices... http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Ke ... rowning+92

Generally I don't put stock in asking prices - only in prices of auctions with bids... but when they'r all over a certain amount... that does tell you something.

Your carbine would probably sell for over $700 on gun broker.

ETA: Ooops - I just read the second page here -and your last post. As long as you are happy :)
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I've no doubt the guy is as shady as you say. I cant think of any reason to sell an item to a shop for any reason if you could sell it online or in the classifieds. Shops have to have a margin, and you are never going to get top doller for a sell to a shop. Maybe a trade in, but never a sell.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Dealers... there are all kinds for sure. When I need to use an FFL, I go another 6 miles down the road to a fellow that really wants you as a customer, not as 'another sucka to rip off' over the time, I bet the tightwad pawnshop con artist has lost thousands of dollars to the fellow down the road...each year.... cuz he prices higher on sales too.
Yup, anything I want, I just go down the road a little farther to a place that treats me nicer.
Glad you found what you were looking for so easily... just down the road a little further...
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

I've seen way too many dealers like this.
Gives all the rest a bad name.
Sadly, they never seen to have any problem keeping a good
stock of used guns on their shelves.

I watched an old lady come into a shop, where I knew the owner was
one of these real pieces of work!!!
This was an old reproduction of a flintlock pistol,
the type that George Washington might have owned. It had never been fired and was in perfect shape, but it was dusty.

The lady told the owner that she had purchased this from the dealer many years before, as a gift to her husband. He had hung it on the wall and enjoyed looking at it.
Now he had passed, and she wanted to sell it, as it made her uncomfortable.
The dealer turns the weapon over and over in his hands. He looks up at her over the top of the reading glasses that are always perched on the end of his nose.
He then tells her that "well, it needs a little TLC, which we can provide, but, I can't give you more than $75 for it". The lady accepts the offer, and he turns around and hands the pistol off to his gunsmith. Then he opens his ancient till, and hands her the money. She says thank you, and slowly leaves the shop. I watched her crawl into a late 60's vinatage Lincoln, and drive off.
She had not gotten down the block when the gunsmith comes out with the gun,
already set on a plaque, and hands it to the owner. He walks over to a wall and hangs it.
The price???? $450.00. And I felt sick. I left too.

When I want to sell something, and I am not quite sure of a fair price, I check several on-line sights. Then I usually price my item just below those prices, and I sell it quickly.

Thanks for the story.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

DarryH,
A horrible story, but sadly all too often true.
If I know it, I will not deal with these explicative deleted.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I won't buy a gun unless I'm keeping it forever. Been burned and almost burned too many times by the "honest dealer". I'm all for the dealer making an honest profit, that's why he is in buisness. But the one of a kind collectors item I buy off of them, 6 months later its a white elephant when I sell it back to them. Too many times with too many different"dealers". :cry:
sharps1863
Levergunner 1.0

Post by sharps1863 »

1-thing I have learned !!!!!
Never try to trade or sell a gun to a gun dealer or pawn shop. They will try and low ball you ever time. I know they have to have some room to make some money but most of the dealer around here are like in the 1st post. I know one dealer if you brought a 1878 colt single action into him that is in pristine condition $100 cash would be his starting offer to buy. He will insult you and it does not bother him one bit to do it. People still deal with him. Cant figure that one out. :?: :?: :?:
Best way to sell is either a forum or on-line auction.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I guess a lot of it depends on how the store works. Some guys work on turnover, others try and make the rent in one sale.

My (now gone) favorite store worked on turnover, and every time you stopped in, 70-90% of the guns in the place weren't there the last time you stopped in.

Other shops, like the ones local to me have the same guns sitting on the rack for years and years. Literally.
Slow is just slow.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

cas wrote:I guess a lot of it depends on how the store works. Some guys work on turnover, others try and make the rent in one sale.
We make more money selling consignment guns then we ever thought about making from buying and selling .

We used to charge a straight flat rate of $25 for anything up to $400 and then $50 for anything over that amount .

Now we just charge a straight 10% on sales in the shop or via Gunbroker . All this is disclosed upfront and many times a person has wanted to come in and sell me something and I've in turn talked them into letting me sell it for them . They come out way ahead and I get a little for my effort without any overhead .

I sold a Browning Superposed Pointer Grade 12 gauge two barrel cased set for $12,000 last week ! We got $1,200 from the consignee and then the buyer gave us a $300 tip !

Had a two gun matched pair of higher grade AYA 12 gauge game guns come in the shop in a nice motor case right after Xmas . I sold those in exactly 2 hours for the consigner and made $800 . Each time the consigner got about 90% of what i valued the guns and both times it was a good percentage above what they were asking when they came in the door .
Matter of fact the set of AYA's had set at Griffon and Howe for about 6 months before they were shipped to us and when the guy came in to get them he asked what we charged to try and sell them . He told us we asked less for our service and in actuality sold them for more then G&H claimed to be selling them for .

In these two instances we had four very satisfied customers as both consigners and both buyers were quite pleased !