Under the radar? Chiappa 1887 T-Series

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Under the radar? Chiappa 1887 T-Series

Post by Panzercat »

Did this one slip past anybody else? A quick forum search didn't reveal much, so here's the odd but somewhat sexy Chiappa 1887 T-Series lever action shotgun. Unlike it's more authentic brethren, the T-series appears to be back in black with a sawed off feel to it. A bit pricey like most Chiappa stuff, but it's kinda neat.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Under the radar? Chiappa 1887 T-Series

Post by Old Ironsights »

"T" series, as in Terminator, as used by Der Ahnold in T-1
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Someone posted a pic and description a few days ago, when we were discussing the Ranch Hand/Mares Leg guns.. There were some comments, as I recall.. I will have one of those guns, before long..!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I wouldn't mind having one of the Chiappa 1887s with the short barrel, but I don't really think that T series is for me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Buck,
When I had one of the full-sized Chiappa 87s here a year or two ago, I briefly considered keeping it & doing a Class III Awnold bob-job on it.
Gave it up; the thing, even bobbed, would have been too heavy for me to handle well with one hand, and even as a novelty gun it had limited appeal.

With light target loads, I suppose it'd be a hell of a snakegun.

For serious uses beyond that, I have none for a stockless shotgun. :)
Denis
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I don't see it being anything other than a two-hand gun.. But it's one that you could put in a scabbard on your back, or even horseback.. It might be the ideal bear/wolf gun for this neck of the woods..

Years ago, I had a 1901 that I cut to 22" but left the stock alone, although I was sorely tempted... I packed that in a saddle scabbard for a couple years, in the wilderness...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

My shortest 12-gauge is a full-stocked 14-inch 870.
Too many years of LE to consider a stockless shotgun in any persuasion. Used to teach it, those who'd show up at the range with a pistol-grip-only stockless shotgun quickly found out they couldn't keep up & usually ditched 'em.
I'd shorten the front end, not the back end, if I shortened anything.
But, that's just me.

I wouldn't use one for serious purposes. :)
The 870, on the other hand, travels regularly in the ATV in the wilds.
Denis
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Now I will admit to having a pistol grip mossy for HD purposes a few years back and for close quarters you frankly couldn't get any better IMO. Double-O was imminently controllable and a laser sight ensured it was going to the right place. That said, I'm not so sure the Chiappa here would be the better tool for that. I like the design, but a pump is more stable in that scenario...
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Without a stock you lose quite a bit of versatility.
The stockless gun loses speed, slug accuracy, and distance.
That's why LE trainers recommend against 'em.
Denis
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

DPris wrote:Without a stock you lose quite a bit of versatility.
Not to mention the inability to administer a buttstroke to the head.

:mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I'm thinking 20 feet is about as far as we're talkng about, for my purposes
Regards

Buck

DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Never needed a buttstroke. :)

Buck,
If all you want is 20 feet, I suppose you could find some utility.
I like the ability on all three of my 870s to engage with buckshot to around 40 yards, and Brenecke solid slugs out to a 100.
I can get more versatility, and in bruinland I wouldn't want to have to wait till the teeth & claws were 20 feet away before firing. :)
Same with the wolves when they start migrating into my state.

I want much more from a defensive shotgun than that '87 could possibly deliver.
Limiting as it is, it'd be like the Mare's Leg for me, just a toy. And an expensive one. :)
Denis
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

My go-to shotgun for the past few years is a worked-over TTN double, with 20 inch barrels and hammers.. Because of the way it is engineered, both hammers can be cocked simultaneously, with a thumb. Other folks may do it differently, but that works best for me.. I cut the stock about 1 1/2", and installed a 1" Brownells pad.. I shortened the sear blades on the triggers, and pinned them up where they should be, and reshaped the trigger guard, so it more closely resembles the old 1878 Colt original.. Peeled a lot of wood off the fore-end and stock, giving it as close to a splinter fore-end as the existing setup will allow.. Stock has been reworked quite a bit at the wrist, and at the comb, with the comb properly fluted.. It's still heavy, with a lot of iron in its makeup..chambers have been cut to allow for 3 1/2" shells, if need be..

It is normally loaded with 3" 000 Buck in one barrel, and a 600 grain Brenneke in the other.. Empties drop right from the chambers. At 25 feet, 000 Buck (10 pellets) spreads out to about 10 inches, and it shoots where it is pointed, as does the slug load.. I couldn't be more pleased..

Spare ammo is carried either on a cartridge belt or in a large jacket pocket... If the wolves get me, they'll have to earn it...! Bears at least (usually) , come at you one or two at a time, while wolves bring the whole family along for the rodeo...
Regards

Buck

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Looks like a good fishing companion for Alaska rivers maybe with a Junior Doherty saddle ring sling installed keeping her handy by the right hip while casting a fly. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Buck Elliott wrote:Spare ammo is carried either on a cartridge belt or in a large jacket pocket... If the wolves get me, they'll have to earn it...! Bears at least (usually) , come at you one or two at a time, while wolves bring the whole family along for the rodeo...
Wait, isn't that a movie now? ;)

But yeah, with the moss500 a full stock was just an allen wrench away. The T-Series here? Doesn't look like that'll be happening. Still a nice niche lever gun tho.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Buck,
I worked with a TTN that'd been gone through by Steve Young a while back.
They can be very nice.
As fumble-fingered as I am, the hammerguns remove themselves from consideration for serious use, much as I like their looks.
Simple (like my brain) works best for me. :)

In coachguns I've got a Baikal & a 1980s Stevens LE 311R, both hammerless to eliminate the manual cocking step I'd probably forget under pressure.
Like both, but for situations such as you mention I prefer the additional rounds-on-board of the 870s. I'm not as confident in my abilities to run with two shots as you are. :)
All three have been modified a bit for efficiency.
In low country they can be loaded with Federal Flite Control 00 Buck, in high country with Brenecke slugs.

I'm still dithering on whether to go Class III & cut my 1960s Savage/Fox back to 14 inches.
Probably will, and that'd be a handy package.
WITH a stock! :)
Denis
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote: Junior Doherty
Is Junior still boycotting Leverguns cause people were picking on him for being a Lefty or has he gotten over it and come back to the fire? I hope it's the latter.
Last edited by sore shoulder on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Denis..

I suppose hammers are deeply ingrained in my brain.. I have to cock a single-action revolver for every shot, and the same for a lever-action rifle, for the first shot.. When I get busy with the TTN, it's natural for me to go for the hammers as soon as the breech is locked..

I have never liked hammerless shotguns for casual carry.. I don't trust them, plain and simple.. I can count too many dead and maimed acquaitances to their credit.. And Safeties/schmafeties.. too often, they get forgotten or ignored, or bumpes, and some just don't work at all.. Positive block, rebounding hammers is the way to go, for me.. A quick visual or tactil check lets you know that all is well.. A hammerless gun in the mountains is a Bad Wreck, waiting to happen... IMHO...
Regards

Buck

DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Buck,
Fully agree on the merits of external hammers.
My leverguns are carried on half-cock, I thumb the hammer as the gun comes up. Most efficient for rapid first shot for me & it's automatic.

On the double scatterguns, though, remembering to do it as a part of the reloading sequence every time, and with two hammers, I know I'd leave something out in a hurry, sooner or later.
Much depends on your level of practice, familiarity, ingrained habbit patterns, and so on. I've done all that with my leverguns, same with the 870s, for several years.
Worked with a few mule-ears, never enough to get either comfortable or fast in running them.
Hammerless designs are just much simpler & easier for me to work. :)

The coachguns, for me, are limited-use close-in tools, and they don't see much mountain use.
They do break down nicely for transport, if you're motelling your way along on a trip & don't want your luggage to give you away.... :)
Denis
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

DPris wrote: The coachguns, for me, are limited-use close-in tools, and they don't see much mountain use.
They do break down nicely for transport, if you're motelling your way along on a trip & don't want your luggage to give you away.... :)
Denis
So does an old Model 12 :D
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

:)
Denis