I want a new woods knife.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I want a new woods knife.

Post by Pitchy »

BlaineG wrote:
Pitchy wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Pitchy wrote:After clean up, Craftsman USA is all that`s on it.

Lot's of famous companies made stuff for Sears and stamped Craftsman on them. Guns, appliances, fishing stuff.....your knife is identical to mine, and I'll wager it's made by Schrade/Uncle Henry/Old Times....
PM me your address bro and i`ll send it to ya, ya can start a collection of those. 8) :)
Better hang on to that, Bro, it's like will never be seen ever again. All those Schrade are made in China now :evil:

Well think it over and if ya decide ya want it let me know. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Pitchy wrote:It throws good, i don`t
:D
Old Law Dawg
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Buck Elliott wrote:I have a couple of Cold Steel Trailmasters, and another couple of Recon Scouts, which would be the shorter, 7 1/2" version of the Trailmaster.. Either will take all the abuse you can dish out, and come up smilin....

For a real "hunting" knife, it's hard to beat the Cold Steel Master Hunter.. i have 5 of those, scattered through my gear..

I prefer the Carbon V blades, made in USA... Check around at gun shows and flea markets...
I have a pile of cold Steel knives including those mentioned above. Are CS blades no longer made in the US?

Blaine, I have a Uncle Henry that Jim sent me when he bought out the local hardware store after the sellout.

One of my favorite Bowies is a Western that I won in a bid on another site. Like another poster here I bought a cheap Bowie from the local Coast to Coast when I was around 12, can't recall if it lasted or was really any good, don't even know what happened to it.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Blaine, I have a Uncle Henry that Jim sent me when he bought out the local hardware store after the sellout.
Yep....I got mine marked as such.....sure do miss his company and fishing with him :(
I found a stash various Schrades, etc, at a hole in the wall gun shop in Gorst and bought a bunch.....I gave him a scrimshaw sharp finger with a bear on it for use on the Bestlever Mtn bear when he got it......Oh, well.... Went up to Bestlever Mtn once, and didn't do much besides drive around some as we were both about half crippled at the time. Wonderful country.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Really like Randall Mades. I have two #14's and a Guardian. Wore the Guardian many a year in a sheath sewn to my boots I wore while on patrol. Still do every now and then when I'm forced to wear a uniform. :D
Old Law Dawg
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

sore shoulder wrote:[quote="
I have a pile of cold Steel knives including those mentioned above. Are CS blades no longer made in the US?

My Laredo Bowie is made in Taiwan (yes, of all the blades that should be US made) --- An old Tai-Pan i have is made in Japan, and the Bushman survival knives look to be made in China now (they are between 20 and 30 bucks) --- I looked at a Military Classic , which is a copy of the Randall #1, and it is made in Japan too.

I guess it all depended on the knife, --

I almost bought the Military Classic recently, but said to myself, "heck with it, i am going to splurge and get the real deal "
- so i got a Randall #1 instead with stag handles -- (which i did not recommend as an all purpose woods knife, the sharp clip point on the back is the hold back for me with that style of knife, -- but it is a pretty nice camp knife )
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I guess it depends on what you mean by "woods knife". Survival or Utility or hunting or what?

My GP Woods Knife is a "Canadian Belt Knife"

It's not too big and with its fishbelly/semi-ulu blade excels in skinning.

And at aprox $17 a hit, not too expensive to lose either.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Canadi ... 859&sr=8-1
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

cutco spotsman...super sharp....
I also carry an old timer, the typical schrade lock blade,
and puma white hunter
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I ditto Danny's source and choice.

13$ for stainless, 12$ for carbon steel. One in the backpack and the other to hand in the gun box. Processes wood like a machine. The plastic sheath seems to hold the knife well, but releases it with a little push. Scary sharp and easy edge maintenance with a strop. Ya don't need anything fancy to keep this knife razor sharp.

'Course, it might not cost enough to satisfy everyone, but you can buy 10 or 15 of these for the cost of a name brand model.
forger
Levergunner

Post by forger »

my vote is for the Blackjack . I've got a randall made 25 and a BJ model 5. As far as I'm concerned the Blackjack is the better knife. better edge geometry, great fit and finish. Only down side is the cheap sheath that comes with it, but the knife... I love it I own 3 and am selling my randall made.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

I know this will sound like pure madness but on the last deer
I dressed I found that the drywall tools from HomeDepot
and Lowes worked best and the value due to economies
of scale are many times better. The replaceable blade folding
utility knives with different kinds of utility blades mean never
having to sharpen a blade again as they are disposable and
guarantee your knife never goes dull during dressing etc.
Likewise I have a folding handle that I think was made by
Lennox that uses any of the saw blades that fit the
Milwaukee SawzAll Once again the best toothed blades
with a wide assortment to choose from at dirt cheap.
I realize this does not have the romance of beautiful
hunting knives but the function is superior. Even though
I have some nice knives I just had to admit that the
construction trade has produced some superior tools
at a fraction of the price. Sometimes the truth hurts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Wonder if a hook blade in that utility knife would work like a gut hook ???

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-11-961A-H ... B0002YRX54
Phil
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

forger wrote:my vote is for the Blackjack . I've got a randall made 25 and a BJ model 5. As far as I'm concerned the Blackjack is the better knife. better edge geometry, great fit and finish. Only down side is the cheap sheath that comes with it, but the knife... I love it I own 3 and am selling my randall made.
You might post that Randall up here and give one of us on the board a shot at it too :D Tons of us love that sweet handmade goodness, (even if i can get a $75 Gerber or Buck to do essentially the same job )
----- Doug
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

[quote="1894"]Wonder if a hook blade in that utility knife would work like a gut hook ???

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-11-961A-H ... B0002YRX54[/quote]

Yes I guarantee it as I have used the hook blade many times
but not on the skin of an animal. Mostly roofing and laying
of vinyl floor etc. All you have to know is the hook edges
are literally razor sharp.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

BTW, something that I have been meaning to do is to take
one of the extra thick and heavy duty Toothed SawzAll reciprocating saw blades and grind a knife edge in the
back side of the cutting teeth and find a way to add
a knife handle. I have never seen seen a knife with
supposed saw teeth on the back side saw worth a stuff.
I think it would be much easier to make a saw into
a knife instead of adding teeth to a knife.
I like to do the same thing with a larger hand saw
and make a machette with a really good saw teeth
on the opposite side. I guess I need a slow water cooled
grinding blade to avoid heating the saw blades up.
Or I could do quick passes on the bench grinder and
keep dunking it in water after every quick pass.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

preventec47

You're onto something. We processed tons of deer in Alaska and used a recip saw with a 12" blade to divide the major pieces once we got them home. Works perfectly. I often used a small pen knife to field dress. It's safer inside cutting the diaphragm free and disconnecting the organs. Less likely to disconnect a finger.

With a warm deer you can take the hide off in a few minutes with that pen knife. Same with disconnecting the lower legs. The only thing I found a "hunting knife" good for is slitting the breast bone. Some folks use a small hatchet for this.

Grizz
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Grizz wrote:preventec47

You're onto something. We processed tons of deer in Alaska and used a recip saw with a 12" blade to divide the major pieces once we got them home. Works perfectly. I often used a small pen knife to field dress. It's safer inside cutting the diaphragm free and disconnecting the organs. Less likely to disconnect a finger.

With a warm deer you can take the hide off in a few minutes with that pen knife. Same with disconnecting the lower legs. The only thing I found a "hunting knife" good for is slitting the breast bone. Some folks use a small hatchet for this.

Grizz
I've used a relatively cheap cordless Ryobi recip saw for this for a while ---- hunting buddies called me lazy, but who's laughing now? ---- i need to market one in Realtree pattern for other "lazy" hunters ! -- something a bit smaller than a full construction worker version that would fit easy in a small huntin tote box
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When it comes down to it, my big Leatherman with the two razor sharp blades, and the little saw would dress about anything I'd be likely to harvest. But, one knife is as boreing as one gun, right? :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

BlaineG wrote:When it comes down to it, my big Leatherman with the two razor sharp blades, and the little saw would dress about anything I'd be likely to harvest. But, one knife is as boreing as one gun, right? :wink:
I agree, that`s all i use any more. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I must be the only Bark River fan here
http://www.dlttrading.com/brk-wd-ncm.html
my favorite is a Bark River woodland.

but they make tool steel knives up to just about anything you want
http://www.dlttrading.com/brk-s8-b-tig.html

if you want drop-dead-gorgeous
http://www.dlttrading.com/brk-b1f-bhs.html
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

On my trip to South Africa, the tracker used my Mora knife for the skinning as it was sharper than his knives and it worked. I ended up leaving it there. For less than $15 for the knife, I can get another and never miss the original. I like the grind on the blade where you can feel where to tilt it to for sharpening, even though I can sharpen pretty well. I have ordered knives from Ragnar at Ragweedforge.com and have always been happy. For a large knife, I have a handmade knife from Angel Sword that I really like. I just find that I hardly ever use a large knife for anything. A blade over 5 inches on anything other than a fillet knife is just not of much use to me. If I were to have to live in the boondocks for months on just what I could pack on a couple of hay burners, then a large knife or two would probably be used for making camp, and might have to stand in for a hatchet. I would still carry a couple of the Mora knives, too, as they are light and easily carried.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Lever Guns & Knife's , What a Site.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

Check out these knives. Made by hand in Ft. Worth, TX. I will be getting one one of these days.
http://bushmonkeyknives.com/Available-Knives.html
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

These are my 4 favorite fixed blade knives. My Schrade Golden Spike (at bottom) gets the most use. I use cordovan shoe polish on the sheaths for a richer tone than plain brown.

None of these knives are spendy at all; stainless steel is a lower grade than BlackJack but I've had good luck with 'em. No trouble re-sharpening either.

BUD K offers many imported tough bowies for very reasonable cost. I suggest a full tang knife for rough use. I've had good luck with Timber Rattler brand; many YouTube videos on their knives.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

1st I cant imagine anyone spending more than 35 or 40 bucks on any kind of knife
unless they are both very wealthy and collectors as a hobby. All these 100 dollar-plus
knives blow my mind as to utility but I agree they are pretty. Maybe no different
than guns in that regard. In fact, I was in a gun store last night and there were
several dozen attractive knives for less than 35 and many less than 25.

2nd The only use I have ever had for a large knife is for hacking ( aside from slicing
ham in the kitchen ) and in truth rarely does a large knife do as well as a machette
for hacking. I can see Daniel Boone or Tarzan having to stab gators or bears
but not me. I just dont see self defense as an objective for any knife thus no need
for any knife with blade longer than about 4 inches..
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

preventec, back in the day I tried using just about every knife style possible for skinnin coon, fox, muskrat, etc including a razor blade knife. At the time I stunk at sharpening knives and thought the replaceable/disposable blade concept was a good one. Wrong. Very short, flat edged, sharp pointed blades suck for any sort of field work. I'd rather use a dull steak knife.

Also, I use one of the Lenox saws you pictured on a weekly basis for work. Great idea that doesn't work as well as I'd like. Blade loosens up easily and the folding part is lame. It will work but there are better game saws. As a matter of fact, the idea of a 12" saw blade with some improvised scales would be better. Skip the idea of putting an edge on the back side though. Double edged knives suck in the field and are a cut finger waiting to happen. Ask my how I know? :o

I here ya on the cost of knives. But cheap china made junk is exactly that and it's hard to find a decent USA, Japanese, European knife for less than $50 anymore, especially folders. Bought a Mora this last summer and haven't seen, let alone used it since I brought it home. Not lost, just misplaced. To a point, more expensive knives are better knives with better steel.

LK
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

TX50Cal wrote:Check out these knives. Made by hand in Ft. Worth, TX. I will be getting one one of these days.
http://bushmonkeyknives.com/Available-Knives.html
Dave in TX
I like the looks of his knives, and the price is pretty reasonable, especially for the one that is simply the blank that you fix up to what you want. Carbon steel is still an excellent choice as it holds a good edge and is easy to sharpen. For carbon steel, just don't forget to oil it. A little bottle of vegetable oil like you cook with is all you need to oil it and keep it from rusting, and that oil is safe to consume. Get a small bottle from you local pharmacy to hold 2 ounces and fill it with olive oil and it will be all you need for at least a couple of years.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

preventec47 wrote:1st I cant imagine anyone spending more than 35 or 40 bucks on any kind of knife
these days that will get you a Chinese knife. The good news is all the top knife manufacturers have something made from their alloys in China and you can find yourself a decent utility knife at that price.

If you want a Randall, pay collectors price ($500++) or save $100 and wait six years for yours to be made.

More good news - there are a lot of nice options in between. Custom, handmade, bench made, and still some American production, but much less than you may think.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

pricedo wrote:I have 2 Jefferson Spivey Sabretooth knives.

The saw-teeth on the back make short work of cutting through a bucks breastbone during field dressing & the knives hold a razors edge even when cutting through and around moose hair which dulls lesser knives in a jiffy.

They go for around $290 each.

Excellent field dressing & survival tool & if you drop your gun and your nose to nose with a peeved off hog I'd rather have one of these in my hands than a puny little folding knife.

Like Crocodile Dundee said, "Now that's a KNOIFE mite !".

How good is that Spivey?
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Never cared too much about carrying a belt knife. I like them and collect them, :roll: but as far as a user - make mine a good pocket knife or Leatherman tool! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I get very much enjoyment out of quality knifes, some I use, some I will never part with, some I admire, some may get traded or sold. I have found that a nice knife will seldom loose value and many times gain considerable value even if well used.

Here are a couple of great woods knives, the bottom Ruana was given to me by my Grandfather when I started hunting at age 12, he hunted with it before me and I used it on every hunt for at least 30 years after that. I had a gentleman give me a standing offer of just under $2,400.00 for it a couple years ago! But my Ruana's are not for sale. The smaller Ruana I picked up here from another Levergunner who was selling it for the wife of a passed on friend. It's my go to hunting knife and I take it to the woods in his spirit.

Busse Combat is another USA made knife that I am fond of and that make great woods knives. I bought this one in 1994 for around $175.00 the most I ever spent on a knife up to that time.

I traded it straight across for this like new 1953 Winchester Model 64 two years ago. I bet in those two years the Busse has gained more value than the Winchester has!

I carry a Busse SAR-3 in my front pocket in a kydex sheath every day and use the snot out of it, I also have a few safe queens too. I could sell them anytime for what I have into them or more.
Well I just wanted to share my reasoning for quality knives, the cheap ones cost to much :lol:
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Mora knives.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

jcw wrote:Mora knives.

The Alaskan skinning set is a nice bunch of knives also. Made of D2 tool steel & really tough.

I have several Buck knives and for the money you can't beat them.

I think there are about 100 knives in my drawers all together including a "Winchester" knife (folder) that is a pretty decent knife.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER