Best knife to go with your levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Best knife to go with your levergun

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Question - who makes the "best" knife? I am partial to large Bowie-style clip-pointed blades. Saw an ad for a Cold Steel "Laredo Bowie". These are not cheap, but it got me thinking, who makes the best knife - and what characteristics make a knife the "best". I'm thinking about adding one to my collection - a companion to several leverguns. Money is an object, but I am thinking about splurging on a really, really good Bowie. What would you recommend?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have a Cold Steel,
but if I could talk my cheap self into it, I would have a Bagwell Bowie
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

you cant go wrong with a rauna or randall, they are pretty pricey though.
Break on through to the other side!!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Those Anza knives are, IMO, a good quality and a good value for the bucks..... Handmade, one of a kind and made in USA........ I don't think they make a Bowie style, though.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Not what you suggest but a traditional Green River,

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

leverhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by leverhunter »

I am awaiting the arrival of a Charlie May knife I ordered, only 13 months to go......I think it will compliment my Winchester 94 44 mag nicely. Should match nicely with my Marlin as well. Till then, I have several Knives of Alaska blades which are very well matched to my leverguns.
Good guns, good knives.
Live to hunt and fish, your life depends upon it!
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

Sure love the looks of a Randall, believe the Bowie is a number 12. http://www.randallknives.com/
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

My cousin Art Tycer makes great knives. His Bowie's and fighters are great, and if you like Damascus.....

http://www.tycerknives.com/
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
ornery
Levergunner

Post by ornery »

Hey Kid! I sell knives in my shop. I try to only keep interesting and "punchy" knives on hand. My clientele are mostly ranchers and working cowboys, so they tend to be particular, as well as pragmatic.

I have a Wayne Skaggs custom. He's out of Montana and is NOT very prolific. I am fortunate to own his very first knife. A clip point Bowie....It's hard to find his stuff, but it is out there and it is different yet very useable. Even Wayne says he builds 'em fer usin' not storin'. I also carry a custom maker out of South Africa. She's pretty darn good, and what with the Dollar to the Rand you can get a pretty darn good deal. (We have a home in PE so I git to see her stuff BEFORE I buy). PM and I'll put you in touch with the few I am familiar with, if that will help. :)
Soy vaquero, nada mas.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Or this handy combo - Dozier K7 and a Gerber LST.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

This is my muzzle loader's pal. I dont know the maker but it is of great quality.

Break on through to the other side!!!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I recently came across a brand I had never heard of before, Elk Ridge, and I bought two of their knives. They were beautiful knives, and were on sale at Big 5 for 18 bucks. Their regular price tag is 70, so I thought I couldn't go wrong. Turned out I was right. Not only are they pretty, they hold a decent edge too. I'll post some pics in the next couple days. Big 5 is the only place I've ever seen them. Not sure where they're made, or how widely available they are.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
ornery
Levergunner

Post by ornery »

Elk Ridge...China...Most have minor assembly done over here to get the Made in USA mark. Suckers ARE sharp and a lot of bang fer the buck.
Soy vaquero, nada mas.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Sorry for the corny photo(I guess I won't quit my day job :oops: ). This knife is perfection. It has a thick blade/tang but is so balanced...feels like nothing else in the hand. I would like to have a duplicate made somewhere. It is a Solingen made knife that was given to me by my Dad when I was about 12. His buddy supposedly found it in the woods near Flagstaff and it was heavily rusted on one side. Some Naval jelly/steel wool and it came out nice.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Tycer, I like the looks of your cousin's work!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

bowie

Post by brucew44guns »

I've needed a big Bowie myself for a long time. I saw one on the forum a couple days ago just sitting in a picture that had a gun as it's subject. Can't find it now, but it had the 10 or 12 inch blade and was a heavy looking thing. Let us know when you make a buy on one Jay, especially if you get a real good one at a reasonable price.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jay, I love the Randalls. I like the quality of the steel, workmanship, heft, blade sharpness and retention of blade. They fit my hand and I couldn't be more pleased in my Bowie:

[img][img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20 ... andall.jpg[/img]

I also have a Randall 10-7, a fishing knife that has the heft for filleting the big rockfish or stipers we catch here on the Chesapeake. I use it for all my summertime fishing and boating . I sail a lot and it goes with me as a general purpose knife all the time. I could not be happier.

I have three other fixed blade knives. Two are from a knife maker in North Carolina, the other a small knife orvis ran a special run that I have used to clean many of my deer.

All that said, you asked about Bowies so I will shut up about the others. Good luck with your choice. [/img]
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I guess needs vary a great deal depending on your region. Personally I've found that like Old Savage says the good old Green River is my best bet. I like the 5" Hunter version a little better though because it has a slight upsweep on the point but it's not a strict skinner. It also has a slight clip blade.
If I need something bigger I have an 18" Blackie Collins Machete I carry that fits just right in my ruck.

In my experience Randal knives are over rated and over priced unless you colect them. I had a #1 that wouldn't do what the machete would do nor would it do what the Green River would do even though it was touted as the best of both worlds. Sorry, not so IMHO.
I've had a Cold Steel Master Hunter and a SRK and while the design was good the blade was just too thick for my tastes.
If I were to try something else besides the GR I think it would be a Puma.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I usually go to all the guns shows in our area,
and Orlando Florida has a pretty big show...in 2 buildings..
and I have notice that there are a lot of knife venders
selling RANDALL knives...and I cant belive the prices thay
want fo these things....as a matter of fact....I never seen
one for under 250 bucks....and i have seen them over 800 bucks.
What gives....They are made in Orlando too!
I am kinda partial to Puma knives from Germany
I also think Schrade, Buck and Case knives are tops...
My pocket knife is a Swiss Army
I use Chicago Cutlery for all my butcher needs...
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

IMO, the CRKT Carson M16 family of fast-opening folding knives is pretty tough to beat. Goes with any firearm or occasion, excepting maybe air travel and a visit to the observation deck of the Empire State Building:

They come in different lengths, point styles, and handle scale materials, with serrated or plain blades. When folded, a serrated round loop at the base of the blade is "flicked" by the forefinger and the blade opens and locks in a blur. The M16 is NOT spring-loaded, so it is legal in non-switchblade states.

http://www.crkt.com/m16zytel.html

I picked up one when they first came out several years ago and it was noticed by two maintenance guys at one of my client's plants. Within a month, nearly everyone in the 55-person maintenance and E&I department were carrying a CRKT M16 of some description.

Noah
Last edited by Noah Zark on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Ka-bar... the knife for all occasions :D

Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Here of late I'm getting partial to the PUMA line of knives. But for my sixgun and levergun companion I carry a Boker fixed blade.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Oh yeah, I just bought a Jr. Kabar I forgot all about that. I keep it in my go to work ruck just in case. I've yet to use it enough to develop any real fondness for it as of yet. I do like it better than the full sized Kabar though.
The blade is about thin enough to make it nice too.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Case xx Bowie and Cold Steel Tanto....My two favorite Big Ones and a few other trinkets.....

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

meanc wrote:Ka-bar... the knife for all occasions :D

[larry] I don't care what you say, that there's a really nice photo there. [/larry]

Noah
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I have a nice older Randall and seeral Cold Steel knives both are very nice knives . The Randall may even be considered exceptional . (Sorry no pics her that I can get to )
IF I had the money I would go HANDS DOWN with a Bill Bagwell Knife . I have handeled his knives in the past and got drool on them . I have broad heads for archery hunting he made back in the 1980s and I am sitll using them . SOme of the strongest and best made broadheads I have ever owned. I shot one through a steel 55 Gal drum one time without any apparent damage. THATS THROUGH THE DRUM
There are several nice custom makers out there but Bagwell is the only one im familiar with and have seen first hand examples.
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Ysabel, the crew at Bark River Knife & Tool turn out some really nice blades, and have made a variety of Bowies in the past. I'm waiting on this years run of Boundary Riders, an 8" sabre handled Bowie. Though I didn't pick one up myself, last years Rogue Bowie looked awful attractive.

DLT trading has a nice website, carries a lot of Bark Rivers (and other brands) and have been very pleasant to deal with. Check 'em out.

If you like the Bagwell style, the Ontario/Bagwell Bowies are pretty good & will give you an idea of what they're (Bagwell's knives) all about at a pretty reasonable price.

There's my 2 cents.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Puma knives are good knives. A little expensive but nice knives.

They make a nice looking Bowie:

They also make a nice looking Skinner:

I like the looks of the Bowie but it is a bigger knife and can be un-gainly. I have the Skinner and really like it. It is a handy size and it fits in with the looks of an "Old West" knife that compliments my lever action rifles.

Cabela's had them both for $90.00 each a little while ago -- a great price. They may still have them in stock.
ED
Yer never too old
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Modoc Ed,

I bought the PUMA Skinner for my dad for Christmas and I really liked it too. I think www.sportsmansguid.com or www.cheaperthandirt.com had them (Puma) on sale for around $50, if you're interested.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

The Buck 110 and a Wyoming knife, always come along when hunting.

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Thanks "Blackhawk". Now that you mention it, I saw that in one of the fliers I got from them not long ago. I'll find the flier and give them a call. If I can get the Puma Skinner for somewhere between $50 to $75, I'll but three or four of them. Keep one for me and give the others away for X-Mas presents.
ED
Yer never too old
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Is there any practical use for a "Bowie" knife, other than a poor substitute for a machete?
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Speaking of Puma, I don't own one, but have been looking at this one for a while. Seems a decent blade for not a lot of money:

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=233011
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Concerning PUMA's.

www.natchezss.com has the Skinner & Bowie for $60 & $65 respectfully.

Johnny

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

alnitak wrote:Speaking of Puma, I don't own one, but have been looking at this one for a while. Seems a decent blade for not a lot of money:

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=233011
That's an excellent price. You ought to snap it up. It is the same knife as in the first picture I posted above.

Puma makes first class products.
ED
Yer never too old
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Any Hunter needs this leather handled 2 knife set. Not badly priced either. http://www.wrcase.com/knives/fixed_blad ... Item='0372'
I love mine, they have been around almost as long as the 1894 has. They also make a Bowie style.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I got this bowie knife a while back at an old Fort Worth family estate sale. I don't know much about knives but it looked good. It has bone handles and seems to have some age on it. I carry it sometimes when I hog hunt. It has finished off more than one. A friend of mine made the sheath.

"That'll Be The Day"
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

That is one sweet knife rangerider7!

Here is my very early Ruana that my Granddad gave me when I was a teenager. I have hunted with it since. I have recently retired the old knife though, I could not take a chance of loosing it.

I picked up a Swamp Rat "Ratmandu" to take it's place.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Puma's are good. I've had a Skinner for 40 yrs. Original Buck folder almost as long. Cold Steel, Spyderco, Victorinox, Case all good.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Rangerider7 and others those are some nice looking knives.
My main hunting knife is a custom drop point skinner made by J. Moren of Arizona. It is easy to sharpen, but holds an edge through many deer.

I am trying out a new ML Knives, http://www.mlknives.com/ , it is a short skinner. So far it has been great, but I have not spent enough time with it.

I am interested in getting a Bowie style knife but have not found any yet.

I have seen a couple of real Bagwell Bowies and they sold for over $1000, uhhh I'm not saying they aren't worth it. I am just saying I am not worth it.

If anyone knows contact info for J. Moren please let me know.
bfm
Levergunner

Post by bfm »

JoeArizona
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JoeArizona »

I second the Bark River knives! :D

Fantastic steels and almost limitless handle choices.

Here's the picture of my Bark River Journeyman with Amboynia Burl handle along with my Coonan .357. Sorry if you've seen this pic before.

Check out the Bark Rivers!

Joe

---

Peter's Laws - Rule #7, "If you can't beat them, join them, then beat them."
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

"Best" knife? I don't think there is an answer to that question.

I'm a small time knife collector (accumulator?) and these days there are more good knife manufacturers than ever. (More good custom knife makers than ever too.)

Cold Steel and Randall were mentioned. They make good products. Dozier, Benchmade, Spyderco, SOG, CRKT, even Buck make some good products. Hard to go wrong with any of them, just pick the ones with the characteristics that you like best.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I like this one.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Dang it, now you all made me have to go drag out my knives from storage just so I could remember what I had(and to look at them again).

I'll just post the ones I think go good with levers:

The first two are Swamp rats knives. I don't remember the models. They are Heavy duty knives, very thick and stand up to almost anything. These knive are pretty inexpensive, but are hard to come by from the maker. Once announced on his website, they usually are sold-out within hours, if not minutes.

The next four are from the top a Stapel, Rigid, Cold Steel trailmaster, and a Bowen. The Bowen I picked up in the late 80's at a gunshow in Fayatteville(sp?) NC. It had a twin with a dagger-shaped blade that I still kick myself that I didn't pick up at the same time. At the time though, a Private's salary didn't buy much.
The last pic consists of two Randalls, a model1-7 and a model 14, and a Blackjack copy of the Randall. The model 14 I also picked in the Army, from a fellow soldier that needed money to buy his girlfriend a Christmas present. As you can see, the Blackjack and a couple of other knives definitely need cleaning up. I had my parents pack them all up along with my guns when I was deployed to Iraq. I am single and didn't want them left sitting in an empty condo for 18 months so someone could steal them. They don't know much about storage and just wrapped them up in towels. Since I have been back, I didn't think to look at them until I saw this thread. I deployed in Aug. 2004. Time to get the Flixx out and start polishing!

rangerider7- That's an awesome knife! If you want to sell it, let me know!

John
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

The classic Marbles Woodcraft......

engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

I'll have to get pics up later, but for me, make it a Himalayan imports khukuri.

One of them and a 30-30 will get you a long way, I suppose.

take care,

Tom
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

engravertom wrote:I'll have to get pics up later, but for me, make it a Himalayan imports khukuri.

One of them and a 30-30 will get you a long way, I suppose.

take care,

Tom

Let me help you with that photo of HI products, Tom:

Noah
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Love my #14 Randall's. Carry a Randall Guardian at times on duty.

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/ ... C00917.jpg[/img][/img]

But then I also carry my own make. I'll have to get some more photo's taken. I resized them at Photobucket and I can't enlarge them there.
Old Law Dawg
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Hand forged Bowie from Bill Miller, Doug
a armed man is his own master