SAA, Remington 1875, Conversion, or Schofield

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

SAA, Remington 1875, Conversion, or Schofield

Post by FatJackDurham »

I am planning to augment my Rossi .357 with a revolver, but I can't think straight about what to get. I originally planned for a .357, but after seeing a Convsion in .38 spl, I am thinking there is no need for such a heavy revolver.

But what to get? A ruger is right out. Don't want one. I want the look of a cowboy gun more than the ruggedness of a ruger, even the Vaquero, nice as they are.

A nice SAA clone frome Uberti or Pietta would be fine. I like the Alchemista II on EMF's site, with the modified grip and the bisley hammer.

I think the Remington 1875 is the most 'artful' looking gun. Uberti doesn't seem to have a .38, but Hartford Armory does/did if it could be found.

The open top Conversion I saw at the Archery store tonight almost made me whip out the credit card then and there. .38 for that, only.

The Schofield or Russian break top isn't as pretty, but it's way cool. Eve Indiana Jones had a break top.

So what do you all think? Which should I save my pennies for?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: SAA, Remington 1875, Conversion, or Schofield

Post by rjohns94 »

I like the open top conversions they shoot awesome, handle likes dream.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I vote for SAA clone - but the point is what trips your trigger. I like the non original because it has the firing pin in the frame Heritage Big Bore. parts by Pietta and I assume some of the assembly

Image.

In the Leninger #1 by Chuck100yd.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I've never been fond of the grip frame on the Remingtons. They just don't feel right in my hand, may be different in yours. It's awful hard to go wrong with a SAA, especially if you don't already own one. Personally, I'd hold out for a Schofield or the conversion just for oddity/cool points and looks. Plus, as you said, Indiana Jones carried a top break (Webley, in the later films, first film I think it was a Second Model Hand Ejector). I'm an archaeologist so any reasoning involving my favorite looter counts high in my book. Bottom line is what feels best to you and strikes your fancy.

Eric
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Cool! What do you mean some assembly by you? Can I order the parts individually and have a gunsmith assemble it? I aske because it's hard to find what I am thinking of. I got lucky with the Rossi, dark wood finish.

I'd like a similar finish on the grips of my revolver, 7 inch barrel, bisley hammer, all blued.

Btw, totally off topic, anyone else here think Hudson Hawk is the best non-western ever?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have lots of Colt SAAs but think the open top or Richards conversion is way cool. One of the best importers is Cimarron. Check out their web site.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I saw some Ubertis the other day. They are nice.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Anyone know anything about Hartford Armory? I was surprised they are descended from John Fitch, who was also one of my Great-etc Uncles. I wonder if they give a family discount.....

Anyway, I was reading about their 1875 and their literature says their frames were milled and not cast.

Are Uberti cast? Is there any quality issues with that?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I'd recommend a Schofield. There is a lot to be said for six empties ejecting simultaneously, and the 45 Schofield can be reloaded to give the same ballistics as the 45 Colt using the same bullets.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I was hoping for the same round as my rifle. Is there a Schofield 357?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Lostowl05661 wrote:I was hoping for the same round as my rifle. Is there a Schofield 357?
I'm afraid there is not.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Lostowl05661 wrote:So what do you all think? Which should I save my pennies for?
Bottom line, which fits you best? If it doesn't fit, you won't enjoy shooting it. If you don't enjoy shooting it, it won't come out of the safe very often. If it doesn't leave the safe very often, you won't be a proficient as you could/should be with it. I sold two firearms today for that very reason. Well, almost. One didn't fit quite "right" and the other did but I could never quite warm up to it.

I've had Uberti, Pietta, Ruger and UFSA SAA types. They all went down the road while my Pietta Remington 1858 .45 Colt conversion has stayed with me. Why? The '58 just feels better in my hand than the SAA. Actually, I can see another Ruger in the safe someday just for the strength and cool factor but that's not on your list and a personal preference on my part.

The closest you'll get to a ".357 Schofield" is .38 Special. For all intents and purposes, the .45 Schofield is a short .45 Colt and as you are aware (probably, but I don't assume anything on the internet anymore), the .357 is a lengthened .38 Special.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Yeah, I am holding out that I may stumble across a used Remmie 1875 in 357, however, I think I'll find a golden goose before that happens.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

The 357 limits the field. If you could go 45, My choice would be a Uberti Russian Scofield. Although I do already have a Beretta Stampede 357 amd I was able to get a buck with it. Here is my New Model Three Smith and Wesson made by Uberti for the Beretta line a few years back called a Laramie.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Lostowl05661 wrote:I was hoping for the same round as my rifle. Is there a Schofield 357?
However, there is a .38 Spcl Schofield!! Uberti makes a dandy one!!!

But maybe I'm a little biased... :wink:
Schofield Box (5) (Small).jpg
Schofield No.3 2nd Model .38cal (1) (Small).jpg
Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The best thing to do is to visit a well-stocked toy store. All the options you listed have a somewhat different feel in the hand. Ergonomics plays an important part in how well you do with a particular firearm.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Yeah, I agree. Sadly, all they seem to have around here are Rugers. I finally found a store that has some variety, so I was able to finally get the feel of a birds head. However, I need to wait about a month for post Christmas inventory to come in.
Griff wrote:The best thing to do is to visit a well-stocked toy store. All the options you listed have a somewhat different feel in the hand. Ergonomics plays an important part in how well you do with a particular firearm.
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

Funny you can't find the 1875 in .357.
Around my part of the country, it seems like every one I look at is a .357.

I search endlessly for one in 44-40.
Frank James, the brother of Jesse, had agreed to surrender to the Gonenor of Misouri
for an agreed upon prison sentence.
He surrendered an Remington 1875 in 44-40 at that time.

For the record, my cowboy guns were all .357 caliber, but I either shot 38 Specials in them
(the majority of the time), or I shot .357 loads reduced to .38 Special cowboy velocities.

Good Luck.
DarryH
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Personally I've settled on the Colt SAA out of your options. I could never warm up to the Remington. The conversions are cool, but I'm not convinced Uberti has the heat treatment to where I wouldn't stretch the piece with shooting and no support of a top strap. I've only held one Uberti Schofield and I really liked the feel. I've never shot one though. As stated, handle and shoot as many as you can before you jump in with both feet.
Old Law Dawg
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Hey, Old number 7, I gotta have that Schofield. She's a beauty. Did you make the box?
I think I'll get it in a 44-40 to match my Henry.

Owen
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

DarryH, what is your part of the Country? I want to take a vacation out there!

Kimwook, you are probably right. The SAA seems to hold very nicely. The one Remmie I found felt a little nose heavy. It seemed the grip felt smaller to me than an SAA.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The SAA-style grip fits me the best, and the guns point like an extension of my arm.. The Remington grip throws weight and balance off, for me, and the overall effect translates into sluggish handling for me..
The S&W grip feels great in static mode, but turns uncomfortable for me during shooting..
I clearly remember the hooplah when the Hartford Armory 1875 was announced.. Frames and other parts were to be EDM or ECD machined, because the company had millions of dollars worth of equipment standing idle... The photos looked beautiful, but I have yet to see one in the flesh, and ads seem to have disappeared...
I have NO worries about Uberti's heat treatment, they have a lot of practice at it, and since the Beretta take over, quality of Uberti products has been uniformly excellent..
The weakness in the old 1851/1860 base is the L-shaped frame itself. If you want Maximum strength in that format, graduate to the Dragoon-size frame..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

I live in the Omaha, Nebraska area.
Went to the gun show in Harlan, Iowa this morning.
Saw an 1875 in blue, .357 caliber.

I didn't think to ask the price....sorry.
I won't be going back as I have to work Sunday.

Like others said......the Remington 1875 and 1890 just don't handle as fast or comfortably for me.
The Bisley grip was designed for slow fire, target shooting. Not very fast.
The Schoffields are the same. At least these reload fast !
I used a matched set a Ruger vaquero's while cowboy shooting.
I shot them stock for thre years to let them break in naturally.
Then I had a spring kit put in, plus AAA grade walnut grips with a Colt contour added.
That little bit of work moved me up an average of 8 places in the results.

To do over, I would opt for Colt 1873 SAA or a clone.
Overall, I prefer the 5 1/2" barrel length, but I would
probably go with a 7 1/2 inch in 45 Colt, and a second with a 4 3/4" barrel in 44/40.

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The Colt SAA in 45 Colt w/4.75" bbl. points like my index finger. It's balance is just perfect. Like Buck said, it's like an extension of my hand. I know I've posted this pic a million times, but I don't have many of my Colts.

This one is currently at the engraver's.

Old Law Dawg
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Kimwook,

Are those actual colts? No problem with a short barrel and accuracy?

DarrelH,

Nebraska it is,
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lostowl,

The length of a pistols barrel has no mechanical effect on it's accuracy. The sight radius has a greater effect due to your eyesight.

I've handled the Remingtons and both the Colt style and the Ruger style Bisley.
None of them feel right in my hands. I'm with kimwcook, DarryH and the others that prefer the Colt style grip.
All of my Old Model Rugers have the old XR3 Colt style grip on them and of course my ancient Uberti has it's version of that too. It just "fits" me.

As for the barrel length I prefer the 4 3/4" - 4 5/8" or the 7.5". Never did like the 5.5" barrels.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Like the professor said, in generalities the barrel length hasn't so much to do with accuracy as it has to do with sight radius. Which makes it easier to aim. The shorter the barrel the more the barrel moves given any movement as compared to the same movement on a longer barrel. Clear as mud?

Yep, those are actual third gen. Colt SAA's in 45 Colt.
Old Law Dawg
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

For the most part, most cowboy action shooting targets are shot at such close ranges, that even a 3 inch barreled "shop keepers" model would not be much of a hindrence in hitting those targets fast and accurate enough.

The first few single action guns I ever shot were 5 1/2" barrels.
That is probably why I still favor them.
I also was a county boy that grew up on a farm, so I hunted and plinked all the time.
Since I was usually shooting at things further away than the average cowboy action shooting targets,
the extra sight radius was a much more appreciated advantage.

I remember being told numerous times, that the 7 1/2" barreld Colts in 45 Colt were more likely to have
the sights regulated to point of aim from the factory than the other barrel lengths were.
Maybe somebody here can chime in on this????????

I knew one of my Rugers shot a little bit to the right.
On most of the targets it was not bad enough to cause any problems, but then came the
whiskey bottle steel targets!!!!!
The first time I shot those I missed all but one. Now that seriously perplexed me.
After this happened again, my confidence had taken a pretty good hit.
After a bit of range time at my favorite plinkin hole, I figured out the problem.
One gun was shooting further to the right than I originally thought. I didn't want to bend the front sight
or turn the barrel, so I figured out how to live with this issue.
Since the guns had custom grips on them, I had the blind side facing out in opposite directions so the
grip screws would not show when the brace of guns was worn together.
This made it easy to remember which gun was shooting to the right.
From then on, any time I had to shoot those bottles, I'd just switch that gun to the holster and hand side I was NOT going to use. Now the gun that was shooting straight was always being used on those bottles.

Has anyone ever seen a shooter on the line using a Buntline????
I see someone is making some of these, and you can request the barrel length out to 16 or 18 inches I believe. It even has the special rear sight.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Lostowl didn't say the pistol was going to be used in competition. I know it's hard for some of you to understand another angle to the need. I for one don't see the need for a whole bunch of Colts saa or their look alikes. Yes, I need a couple, but after that something else make the collection more interesting to me. I'm not a great shot so I could be wrong, but I like a nose heavy pistol for target shooting, speed is not relevant.

Owen
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

hightime wrote:The 357 limits the field. If you could go 45, My choice would be a Uberti Russian Scofield. Although I do already have a Beretta Stampede 357 amd I was able to get a buck with it. Here is my New Model Three Smith and Wesson made by Uberti for the Beretta line a few years back called a Laramie.

Owen
I like the look of the Russian. For sure, if I decide on a break top, I'll get that. I'll get a .45 eventually, I just want to start slow. Thanks info.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

hightime wrote:Lostowl didn't say the pistol was going to be used in competition. I know it's hard for some of you to understand another angle to the need. I for one don't see the need for a whole bunch of Colts saa or their look alikes. Yes, I need a couple, but after that something else make the collection more interesting to me. I'm not a great shot so I could be wrong, but I like a nose heavy pistol for target shooting, speed is not relevant.

Owen
Well, I am considering doing sass this year....
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Then the Colt or Colt replicas are nice. I actually have three, but they all kida look alike. They are all nickel plated. I still could use a blued one, or maybe one with a birdshead grip. My eyes don't take to the Bisley, but I guess they aim nice.
Something a little different, is the Uberti Lightening in 38 sp. it's only 1.75 lbs. That's a good idea. Why I think I'll get me one. Birdshead grip, 3 1/2'' case hardened and blued. An easy carry and yet has the looks of the Old West.

Owen
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

hightime wrote:"Hey, Old number 7, I gotta have that Schofield. She's a beauty. Did you make the box?
Owen"
Thanks for complement. Yes, I did make that French-fitted box for my Schofield. I didn't post a "how to" about it, but you can Read More Here.

Tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Thanks for the lead to your old post. I wasn't a member then, so it was good to see.

Owen
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I said it before, that's a nice case, Old No.7.
Old Law Dawg