Browning B-92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Browning B-92

Post by pwl44m »

at least that is what I think it said. After reading about the praises of this Gun on here I finally saw one in a Gun Store today.It was a new looking Gun with only a couple dings in the stock. Didn't look like it had even been fired. It is 357 cal which would be fine with Me. I didn't see any safeties on it and couldn't recall if that was one of the selling points on this forum. Made in Japan and a really nice looking Gun. Price is $575, Is this the norm?
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Browning B-92

Post by J Miller »

The Browning B-92s were made back in the 80s. More 44 mags were made than .357s so the 357 is less seen. No safeties and built to John Brownings original design.

In the condition you mentioned $575 is a very good price.

Instead of asking us if the price was good, you should have been bragging to us about the great gun you just scored.

I'm serious.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thats just it, Me being Me I have to sleep on it and didn't buy it -"today". If it is out of production I will pursue it with more diligence as I am not into current production Guns.
PErry
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I agree, that's a steal at $575 in .357 Magnum.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Picked one up last week that looked like it just came out of the box. Made in 1981 and in .44mag. A stunning weapon. After tax, I spent about the same. The near full buckhorn rear sight is tricky for my old eyes, but with some work on getting the sight picture right I was able to put three in the 10 ring at 50 yds resting my elbows on my so called bench ( an old B&D Workmate that has seen better days)

The craftsmanship on this weapon is simply steller. I can say from my standpoint that you will be just as pleased with your 92 in the .357mag as I am with mine in .44mag. They are excelent weapons and great shooters. My hunting buddy at work ( we kill hogs regularly there ) asked if it was brand new. When I told him it was 30 years old I thought he was going to faint! Mine, I believe, was a safe queen that was sold for an unknown reason. But whatever the reason, it fell into my hot little hands and that's fine be me! :D

They built the .357 model from 1981 thru 1987 then both calibers were discontinued. They will go up in price as they get bought up and folks start to hang on to them more.

Enjoy your Browning 92. They are fantastic!

My bad, I thought tht you had bought it. Oppppps!! :oops:

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

J Miller wrote:The Browning B-92s were made back in the 80s. More 44 mags were made than .357s so the 357 is less seen. No safeties and built to John Brownings original design.

In the condition you mentioned $575 is a very good price.

Instead of asking us if the price was good, you should have been bragging to us about the great gun you just scored.

I'm serious.

Joe
Let us know when you bring it home.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is about the norm and some have gone for much higher.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Buy it, and if you don't like it I'll trade you a like new Marlin 1894c in .357 Mag.
A good, clean B92 in .44 mag will cost you that much or more. A .357 is considerably higher.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

The B92 in .357 is an uncommon gun, it's more common in .44 mag.

At the $575 price, I'll be surprised if it's there when you go back. I would have bought it on the spot.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

pwl44m wrote:at least that is what I think it said. After reading about the praises of this Gun on here I finally saw one in a Gun Store today.It was a new looking Gun with only a couple dings in the stock. Didn't look like it had even been fired. It is 357 cal which would be fine with Me. I didn't see any safeties on it and couldn't recall if that was one of the selling points on this forum. Made in Japan and a really nice looking Gun. Price is $575, Is this the norm?
Perry
Check out the money they are getting for a Rossi, then compare a Rossi to the Browning in quality. I would rather throw rocks than shoot a Rossi, the Browning, however, is every bit as good a gun as the original model 92's. If you don't get that rifle, don't post any pictures of yourself to let anyone see what a fool you were to not get that gun...
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have this one in .44 mag. I had a chance to buy one in .357 at the same time, wish I did! That was way back. Hey OS, I bought it at Jacks.

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 to those that have questioned why it isn't in your hands yet! To the poster that said "about the norm," maybe one place in the country--for a .357. (Reminds me of the "heck, what's this $750-1000 stuff? A pristine GI M1 carbine is going for $400 in my neck of the woods. Can take my pick." Where are these "necks of woods?" Maybe Helena in January? - in 1997.). Oops, looks like the OP's is one of those places! Or the seller has no clue. I've seen the B92 .357s go "regularly" (when found) for much more, "even in this economy." It may take a day later to sell than two years ago and absolute top dollar on a NIB may have come down $50-100, but it's one of those few modern guns that seem (ultimately) to be immune to our economic woes.

The .357s, lower in production to begin with than the .44s., are becoming rare birds and go fast in any market where even just a modest number of folks are aware of it. Grab it...or... I don't need it but will take it and turn it around to pay for some of my Christmas debt :).
Btw, have both and agree--they're stellar pieces.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

vancelw wrote:Buy it, and if you don't like it I'll trade you a like new Marlin 1894c in .357 Mag.
A good, clean B92 in .44 mag will cost you that much or more. A .357 is considerably higher.
I'll be the sour grape here. I too have owned both.
Personally would not do the above.
At the end of the day I was not overly impressed with the B92.
Still kicking myself for letting that sweet little 94C go.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... &hilit=B92
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I traded for a new condition B92 a year ago. Had about that price in it. Very good workmanship. Get the right sized cast bullet and have fun.

Don
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Guess i got a buy on this 44 delux model at 300 bucks huh.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

casastahle wrote:
vancelw wrote:Buy it, and if you don't like it I'll trade you a like new Marlin 1894c in .357 Mag.
I'll be the sour grape here. I too have owned both.
Personally would not do the above.
At the end of the day I was not overly impressed with the B92.
Still kicking myself for letting that sweet little 94C go.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... &hilit=B92
I bet you drink Buttwiper Light :lol:

Just kidding. :D

No sour grapes, just different opinions.
To me, a B92 vs. Marlin 1894 debate is like a V-twin vs. Goldwing or a .308 vs. .30-'06 vs. .270 debate. It all depends on what you like.
I personally like my B92 in .44 mag about would hop on a .357 at that price in a heartbeat just because I like 'em. If I wanted a scope I'd stay with my Marlin. (I currently have an XS sight on mine and love it). If I want other things, now I'm changing to a bolt or pump action gun.
The above offer stands to anyone who has an excellent condition B-92 in .357 mag.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

OK,rather than be the Class Idiot I will go back today to make it Mine. But caint have Pics till next year (CA) remember.
As far as a trade for a Marlin- I have one in both 357 and 44 mag, they weren't even 1/2 this price New.
Will give a report this afternoon,have to Texture the New Kitchen this morning then I'm off to Town. Gotta get a haircut too if I have enough money left.
later- Perry
P.S. If You don't hear from Me again You will know why.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

If you don't like it just send it to Central Illinois and Joe and I will arm wrestle for it.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Birdman wrote:If you don't like it just send it to Central Illinois and Joe and I will arm wrestle for it.
JUst anywhere in Central Illinoise or did You have a particular Place in mind. :?
Perry
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Perry,

I have a B92, in .44 Magnum. I also have a Rossi 92, in .357 Magnum. I like my Browning, and it is a good rifle. I bought it, because of its good reputation, and the price, $349.00, out-the-door, was too good to pass up. I have been inside of both of them, and there does NOT appear to be any noticeable difference between them. They are both well-made, with some extra "pretty" going to the Browning. For what both rifles sell for, these days, your price is more than fair. Mechanically, I really cannot tell the difference. In fact, my B92 wears a Rossi large loop lever (photo, left-to-right, Winchester 94; Rossi 92; Henry H001L; Browning 92):

Perry, get that rifle, and you will not be sorry. :D

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

The B92 I had that just didn’t grow on me for whatever reason. :|
Last edited by cshold on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Pitchy wrote:Guess i got a buy on this 44 delux model at 300 bucks huh.

I wasn't aware that there was a deluxe model???

I have this B92 in 44 Mag, the seller told me the checkering on it had been cut when the wood was refinished.

I'd like to see some better pics of the checkering on your gun to see if it's the same.

rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Pitchy, how long ago did you pay $300 for it? If it was recent you are a bad man for not telling me about it. :P God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

If memory serves me correct, Browning introduced the 92 model in 1978 making 6,000 that year as a "Centenial Model" in .44mag. In 1979 they began standard production of the .44, and in 1981 brought it out in .357mag. They halted production I think in 1987.

That's the best history I can remember on this particular weapon....If Pitchy got his in factory checkering and such, I'll bet it's a Centenial model. :D

Wade
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

$575, huh ? Well, just to keep things in perspective - Pristine .44 cal B92's usually change hands for about $700; with pristine/rare(r) .357 B92's at about $1K.

I counted it as a pretty good score, two years ago, when I grabbed a nice .44 for $500. since it sure made me a happy camper.

I also know that if I was selling a .357 B92, I wouldn't sell it for less then $1K.............................

I hope you don't end up los'in by snooz'in, Perry.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hope these pics are ok, i bought this rifle at a gun shop about three years ago.
Seems i found it called a delux model somewhere, will have to do a search.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I dont recall them making any deluxe models, as were made for the 86's, 95's, 71's etc, tho they may have. In any event; the receiver is standard, the wood may have been changed, or somebody may have had it checkered. It's nice work if not factory. You got a smokin deal for 3 years ago in any event Pitchy.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Malamute wrote:I dont recall them making any deluxe models, as were made for the 86's, 95's, 71's etc, tho they may have. In any event; the receiver is standard, the wood may have been changed, or somebody may have had it checkered. It's nice work if not factory. You got a smokin deal for 3 years ago in any event Pitchy.
I`m pretty sure mine`s factory bro.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Wow - I've read of some really nice rifles bought by members here for a pittance. This is by far the most fortunate group of shooters I've ever heard of!
I wish I could tell you all about the bargain I found for $114 with four boxes of shells - but I can't.

Most buyers will have to pay $1,000 or more for a like NIB .357 B92. Browning indicates they were made for only 5 years. Here's a little more information: http://www.browning.com/customerservice ... .asp?id=17

By the way - I have one and like it; it is a well put together firearm. I just paid too much for it!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Not trying to highjack the thread but i`m stumped about the deluxe model now.
Found this picture od a Browning 22 delux, it has the same checkering.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Pitchy wrote:Hope these pics are ok, i bought this rifle at a gun shop about three years ago.
Yours and mine have different checkering patterns for sure.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I don't believe Pitchy's is a Centennial, they had lightly engraved receivers that said "Centennial" with the dates, and a saddle ring. I don't recall them being checkered tho. I've seen several, but it's been years.

I'm stumped on the checkering.

Just looked at pics of a Centennial, they didnt have checkering.

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displa ... um=6360283
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I swear just after i bought it i came home and started digging trying to find info about it and found something that showed it as a deluxe model. But darn if i can find anything now.

Perry, sounds like a nice rifle hope ya get it 8) sorry for getting off track :oops:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

:oops: :cry: well as luck or "GOD" would have it I didn't get it. When I finally made it to the Shop yesterday as I walked in the door I Saw a Man sitting at the counter with a rifle in his hand. Yep - B-92-357. He hadn't bought it yet and They had the Blue Book out I suppose for that Gun. Well I didn't want to arouse any suspicion so I just started looking at Guns in the racks (About 10 times) all the time listening intently at Their conversation. Him talking about how His Wife was going to kill Him if He bought it (insert glimmer of Hope).Then the Shop owner picks up the phone and calls the Consigner to tell Her He has an offer on Her Gun of $500 which She declines,Said She would bring it back home if She didn't get what She was asking. Alright !!! now just put the Gun back on the rack (Me thinking) Ain't happening and I'm getting impatient with this Guy. Well They finally make a deal where He could put some money down and the rest when He picks it up, I saw the money on the counter and the paperwork out so I knew it wasn't going home with Me :( Turns out the Guy has been looking for a B-92 for some time and as some have indicated on here that they are scarce. Now I have a new quest, I won't let this beat Me, there will be others I guarantee.
So U can kick Me off here or wrap Ur arms around Me and cry with Me. I can take it.
Perry :arrow:
@ Pitchy, don't worry about getting off track-actually it wasn't- it was about a B-92 was it not. Actually if I find one that is checkered I'll know it ain't supposed to be.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If you get it and don't like it, give me a call....serious :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Hagler wrote: Image
Nice photo!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I've said it many times here. The Browning B-92 just can't be beat. Equaled but not beat.

Had one in 357 and will probably have another one in 357.

Like some have said, they sell for considerably more than when in 44 cal.

I don't believe Browning ever made a deluxe B-92 other than the Centennial that's been mentioned and it does not have checkering.

I don't know of a sweeter carrying gun than the B-92 or the Winchester model 92 carbines.

Don
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Wonder if it was a option, i`m sure i seen something about it after i bought mine but of course i can`t find it now.
Then i could be way off , i`m going to contact Browning. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Perry,

I'm sorry that you missed out on your 92! :( But I got a feeling that if there's another out there waiting for you to grab, you'll do it! I'd sure like to see your range report on it when you find your baby!

Good hunting!!

Wade
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cvarcher »

YEs for that price it is a steal. A few years back I paid $800. But I also will tell you I have a pre safety 1894C Marlin and that gun shoots the pants off the Browning as far as groups.I also have a B92 Centennial 44mag which I had Kiowa Jones tune up and convert to 45colt.It is one beautiful gun and slick as can be but again my pre safety Marlin 1894 in 45 colt just shoots tighter. Got to hand it to Marlin for making those terrific Microgroove barrels.
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Well I guess I'm a B92 junkie! Here it is 40 degrees give or take. Raining off and on. A slight mist when I went to my range....Yup, I HADDA go and shoot some more with the B92! I just couldn't stand it. It's been days since I pulled a trigger and this beauty kept calling my name... What can I cay? So my bench was soaked. The shooting lane in the woods was dark with the total gloom of the overcast....who cares? I loaded up 10 Hornady 240XTP loaded with a healthy dose of HS6 and let 'er rip standing at 50 yds. Managed to put all but two of the 10 into the bull ( a 3" orange stick-on dot ) and that was good enough for me....Loaded up five more and shot another target just to say I did....Got one out of the bull, I do wiggle some as Im'm old :roll: . but it was fun!

Cleaning now as we speak and I gotta tell ya, I do enjoy this levergun! I can't remember having so much fun with a .44mag in years.....oh, that's because I haven't had a .44mag in years :lol: But still, this is one slick rifle and I do mean slick! I'm just sorry that Perry missed out on his deal. Sure hope another comes along for him real soon.....

Merry Christmas guys and gals!

Wade, the B92 Junkie, signing off!
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

The old B-92 is a lot better than the overpriced, lawyer safetyied to death Winchester model 92 they're selling now.

The Rossi Puma 92s are the only real 92s made today even with that stupid little safety that just begs to be removed.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Old Ranger wrote:Well I guess I'm a B92 junkie! Here it is 40 degrees give or take. Raining off and on. A slight mist when I went to my range....Yup, I HADDA go and shoot some more with the B92! I just couldn't stand it. It's been days since I pulled a trigger and this beauty kept calling my name... What can I cay? So my bench was soaked. The shooting lane in the woods was dark with the total gloom of the overcast....who cares? I loaded up 10 Hornady 240XTP loaded with a healthy dose of HS6 and let 'er rip standing at 50 yds. Managed to put all but two of the 10 into the bull ( a 3" orange stick-on dot ) and that was good enough for me....Loaded up five more and shot another target just to say I did....Got one out of the bull, I do wiggle some as Im'm old :roll: . but it was fun!

Cleaning now as we speak and I gotta tell ya, I do enjoy this levergun! I can't remember having so much fun with a .44mag in years.....oh, that's because I haven't had a .44mag in years :lol: But still, this is one slick rifle and I do mean slick! I'm just sorry that Perry missed out on his deal. Sure hope another comes along for him real soon.....

Merry Christmas guys and gals!

Wade, the B92 Junkie, signing off!
Just wait until you try a B92 in 357 Mag!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Pitchy wrote:Hope these pics are ok, i bought this rifle at a gun shop about three years ago.

nice gun--really nice wood... :)
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

email me. I have B-92 in .44mag I will sell or trade--looking for a GI M-1 carbine...
Thanks,
RichardX
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

RichardX: e-mail sent Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

I have 2 both in .44Mag) and if I had 10 more, it wouldn't be enough. I would like a .357 to go with a sixgun Dave Clements did for my son, but Steven said that he would just as soon get one of my Bowen guns in .44 to go with one of my B-92's. Jump on it quick because you will really like it.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

The one I had for a short time.
Just gotta love those purple loading gates. NOT :shock:
Traded even up for my model 73 in .38 WCF.
No regrets. :)

Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Well, five years ago I caught RichardX 's post and responded to him 17 minutes later. (See above). Met a true gentleman and we did a horse trade over several hundred miles. I was still trucking, and had occasion to meet his stepson (by arrangement over the phone) and gave my Winchester M1 carbine to a young man I'd never seen before. Several weeks later I had another load to OK city and this nice young man met me at the truck stop and gave me a very nice B92. This one is a keeper, and shoots lights out! A previous B92 I had, not so much. Don't know why some guns shoot way better than others.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pitchy wrote:Wonder if it was a option, i`m sure i seen something about it after i bought mine but of course i can`t find it now.
Then i could be way off , i`m going to contact Browning. :)

Wish you were still here big P.
Would love to know the outcome of your contact with Browning.