.45 Colt rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

.45 Colt rifle

Post by jerry b »

I posted this over on (the new and improved) Gord's Board, but this is where lots of levergunner hang oout, so here is the question:

I don't do much "formal" hunting anymore (ie-out-of-state trips, deer camp, buying dooddads like in that other post, etc., etc.) so it seems reasonable to simplify my rifle needs. I can't think of a scenario where I'd hunt off my own premises, and the longest shot I can imagine in these woods is, maybe, 70 yards. I don't know why a trusty .45 Colt Marlin wouldn't do everything I needed done, slaying vermin in my small pastures, occasionally putting venison in the freezer, and defending the homestead. I've been simplifying for awhile, and this feels like an area I can make some cuts.

What do youz guys think?
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .45 Colt rifle

Post by pokey »

sounds like a plan.

what's gords board?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I think that's a great choice in caliber and rifle--versatile--practical--effective. I've done the same with a Marlin 1894c in .357 Mag (2 handguns in that cartridge)
and a Winchester 94AE in 30/30... :)
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Great choice. When I started hunting 8 years ago, I bought a Winchester "Trapper" in .45LC. Plenty of stopping power, lightweight for carry, plus a caliber match for my Ruger Blackhawk. Both can handle hotter loads if desired. Very versatile.

Cheers,

Carl
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Would work fantastic!
Love the 45 Colt
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Excellent choice I would say. My Rossi easily handles a 360 Keith type at 1350.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

That's exactly the same thinking I had. And the 45 Colt was my choice. Although I'm not condensing , I'm still expanding.

Owen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.45 Colt in a Marlin levergun is about the most versatile rifle there is (the funny part is I don't HAVE one... :( ). Lots of easily-available data on loads from pipsqueak to stout, and many available in factory form. Can get very stout SA or DA revolvers in same chambering. Marlin can be scoped easily, put a Burris Fastfire-II on it, or use a Williams FP ghost-ringed, and is reliable and easily cleaned/repaired vs. the competitor's leverguns.

You could say the same thing about a 1894 Marlin and Ruger Blackhawk/Redhawk/GP100 pair in .44 Mag, and .357 Mag for that matter, with the latter a bit more compact and a bit less knockdown power and a bit less cost to shoot. IF you can find such a pair, the .41 Mag would be another excellent choice, but overall I think the .45 Colt is the winner, even though I'm a .44 Mag fan because that's what I started out with.

One other thing, if you care about having same-caliber guns, the .357 Mag/Spl and .44 Mag/Spl pairs have smaller 'ccw' DA handguns like Ruger SP101's and Charter Bulldogs, vs the .45 Colt, which nobody seems to make a DA revolver for that is as small as those in the other chamberings. If you prefer another style gun for ccw, or wear bulky enough clothes to conceal a S&W .45 Colt, or a Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt, of course none of that matters.

Enjoy...!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

What's gords board?
+1

Does anybody know?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Although I prefer the Rossi 1892 copy for it's (arguably) stronger action... a Marlin 1894 in .45Colt is an excellent choice. I'd better say that, since I'm building one from a almost junk .44Mag version! I happen to like the .45 Colt cartridge, and feel it's versatility (if you reload) far exceeds the .44Mag... but that's arguable also!

Don't forget to post pics of your new gun... and a range report... and ... well, your impressions would also be beneficial to others contemplating that same purchase!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I have the Marlin 24", 45 Colt. I have taken several critters with it using homemade boolits. Power if you want it. As stated earlier, it is versatile.

TomF
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

In the '92 line I have a Winchester 1892 32wcf, a Rossi .357, and a Rossi 45 Colt. They are all fine rifles with no problems at all. I carry one or other in the truck most of the time. Reckon there ain't anything in my part of the country the .357 can't handle so I figure my standard load for my 1957 made Colt SAA is enough in the carbine too.
I reckon you could do well with your choice.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

http://forum.sixshootercommunity.com/

Where's Hobie and Paul when you need them? Long story but brother Gordon saved the day back when and started the above. It has been maintained (Paul) and changed around (Paul) over the years, and folks have come and gone, but it remains a good place to hang out. They let Hobie in, if you can believe it. Heck, they let ME in, so the standards can't be too high.

It's the only place I go besides this fine establishment.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I would like a 24" barreled 45 colt Marlin. And I ain't down sizing!!
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

I like the 45Lc round I have a Win Trapper in 45Lc and I love it .

But I think you should have two rifle's maybe not in the same cal but just have two of them .

You know two is one , one is none .
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Uberti '73, in .45 Colt for me.. Uncanny accurate with handloads, and powerful enough for my needs...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
magyars
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars »

I have a Winchester, Rossi, and Marlin in 45 Colt, I find the Rossi, with buckhorn rear sight is the easist to carry, and comes to the shoulder faster.
But my scoped Marlin is the one I hunt with.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I guess I came to the 45 Colt as "the one" because it's big enough for white tail, small enough to plunk a turkey, not too big to cut down on the porky pine population and cheap to reload. Slow enough for cast bullets. Oh yeah, and I like guns of the Old West. Having the same load for my pistols and the rifle is way cool too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Jerry, a 45 colt is a peach of a round in a pistol or rifle if I was limited to one caliber it be 45. danny
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

jerry b wrote:I don't do much "formal" hunting anymore (ie-out-of-state trips, deer camp, buying dooddads like in that other post, etc., etc.) so it seems reasonable to simplify my rifle needs. I can't think of a scenario where I'd hunt off my own premises, and the longest shot I can imagine in these woods is, maybe, 70 yards. I don't know why a trusty .45 Colt Marlin wouldn't do everything I needed done, slaying vermin in my small pastures, occasionally putting venison in the freezer, and defending the homestead.
Sounds like a plan to me!

I do the same thing with a Marlin in .44 mag. From killing coyotes to deer and elk during season, also doing double duty as my home defense rifle it sure gets the job done.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Any caliber sounds good to me, just make it a lever! :D
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

horsesoldier03 wrote:Any caliber sounds good to cartridge me, just make it a lever! :D
I'll go with my 16" Rossi in .44 Mag.
Handy & light little gun (4.8 pounds).
The .44 Mag is a more powerful cartridge than the .45LC when loaded to factory ammo levels and I can shoot 44 SPL in it when I want it to shoot at the .44SPL/.45LC power level.
.44 Mag & .44SPL factory ammo readily available.
Keep it simple whenever possible.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER