Smoked Venison

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Smoked Venison

Post by 6pt-sika »

We smoked 6 hind quarters sunday . Then later we divided them in muscle groups and cut them all thin on a slicer !

That stuff was some kinda good !

Tasted as good as any pork butts or beef briskit we ever smoked in the past .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Smoked Venison

Post by Tycer »

YUM!
:mrgreen:
Did you brine or cure them? What's your recipe if you did? I am madly looking for a slicer I can afford.

Last weekend I cured (3.0% salt) a loin for 48 hours and then "unrolled" it to about a quarter inch thick and rolled up in it a mixture of sauteed wild mushrooms, sherry soaked sun-dried cherries, shallots, chestnuts and millet and then smoked it over Maple at 250ºF to 150ºF internal. It was good.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Tycer wrote:YUM!
I am madly looking for a slicer I can afford.
Tycer, we purchased this model at Bed Bath and Beyond and it has been very reliable. Very portable and powerful enough to slice up many pounds of meat at a sitting. Easy to clean too. I've sliced up more venison, beef, and abalone than I can remember.

Cabela's has a similar model.

The Warning Pro Slicer
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... 62&RN=438&
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Tycer wrote:YUM!
Did you brine or cure them? What's your recipe if you did? I am madly looking for a slicer I can afford.

Last weekend I cured (3.0% salt) a loin for 48 hours and then "unrolled" it to about a quarter inch thick and rolled up in it a mixture of sauteed wild mushrooms, sherry soaked sun-dried cherries, shallots, chestnuts and millet and then smoked it over Maple at 250ºF to 150ºF internal. It was good.
We made a brine of pickling salt , water and molasses . Then we let them soak for 12 hours . Then slow smoked them ! Depending on size of the hind quarter we smoked them anywhere from 3-5 hours .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Oh sorry but I don't know the ratio's of our brine ingredients . Someone else mixed it all up .
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

What kind of smoker do y'all use? And how long do you have to smoke it?
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I smoke all my deer front legs, sliced cold with a icy Yeunglings and you got good eats.
I just let them sit overnight with a dry rub and smoke about 250 till medium.

I used an offset wood "Texas" style smoker for years, now I use a propane Masterforge? from Lowes.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Triggernosis wrote:What kind of smoker do y'all use? And how long do you have to smoke it?
The smoker came from PA and was built by a couple Amish fellows . It's actually a grill/smoker that you can pull behind a vehicle .

As I said above they were smoked from 3-5 hours depending on the size of the hind quarter .
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

hope you got the backstrap, too

Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

That's some very fine looking meat you've got there Bulldog. Bet it tastes good as well. What sort of wood/shavings do you use to generate smoke?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

bulldog1935 wrote:hope you got the backstrap, too
No the backstraps and tenderloin I don't donate to our little hunting group for grinding and or smoking !

I give them the front shoulders and hind quarters to do with as they see fit :wink:
davidguetta402

Post by davidguetta402 »

6pt-sika wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:18 pm Oh sorry but I don't know the ratio's of our brine ingredients . Someone else mixed it all up .
Oh.. This means you aren't actually aware how this whole process is done? Or you aren't just sure about the ratios?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

davidguetta402 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:35 am
6pt-sika wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:18 pm Oh sorry but I don't know the ratio's of our brine ingredients . Someone else mixed it all up .
Oh.. This means you aren't actually aware how this whole process is done? Or you aren't just sure about the ratios?
I keep the back straps and inner tenderloin for myself . Everything I cut off the bone or cut the hams or shoulders off whole . My gunsmith buddy does the grinding as the grinder I used to use bit the dust . As to the smoking I’ve never tried doing that . My gunsmith buddy has a very large smoker that you pull behind a car . He’s pretty good at pork , chicken , turkey , beef and venison . He also has s recipe for the brine he uses , so I leave that to him .