1950 Win 94 - Trade, Sell, Repair

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

1950 Win 94 - Trade, Sell, Repair

Post by J Miller »

As a few here know I have a very nice 1950 vintage Win 94 in 30-30. It's unaltered and mechanically almost new.
Pre 64 Win 94 b web.JPG
It's only problem is, it's got a bad chamber. I've fired less than a 100 rounds and it's split 28 of them. That is unacceptable even if you don't hand load.

So I was wondering ...........

I have a most of the things needed to do a barrel swap, but I'm finding myself not wanting to do it.

Should I:

A: Trade it off at a gun store that has a few later Win 94s that are already drilled and tapped for a receiver sight.

B: Sell it and use the money towards the later vintage 94s. Problem is when I tell the buyer about the chamber nobody will want it. Or they'll want to low ball me and I won't put up with that.

C: Go ahead and swap the barrel and drill and tap it for the side mount sights. All I need for that is a receiver wrench and a drill press. Maybe another $150.00 I don't really have right now.

I'm just mulling this around and thought I'd ask you guys what you thought.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1950 Win 94 - Trade, Sell, Repair

Post by 2ndovc »

Would a re-bore to 38-55 work? That's my favorite '94 round.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I believe you know my thoughts, do the barrel swap; a 94 you can't shoot is less than useless.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Would the chamber respond to an Improved reaming? If it is just a shoulder/neck problem maybe it would work?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

2ndovc wrote:Would a re-bore to 38-55 work? That's my favorite '94 round.

jb 8)
It probably would, but it would have to be for someone else as I have no interest in the 38-55 round.
Griff wrote:I believe you know my thoughts, do the barrel swap; a 94 you can't shoot is less than useless.
Boy your right there. About all it's good for is a door stop. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a wrench that won't bugger up the receiver.
Canuck Bob wrote:Would the chamber respond to an Improved reaming? If it is just a shoulder/neck problem maybe it would work?
From the chamber cast I did I don't think so. The problem is in the neck and shoulders of the chamber. I don't "think" an AI chamber would clean it up. But then we're back to what I said to 2ndovc. "It would have to be for someone else as I have no interest in the 30-30AI round."

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

is it possible it has already been AI altered and not marked already? :shock:
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

How long have You had it ? Hang on till the right deal comes along. If You are straightforward You wont get much.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Jose, Mie Amigo...improve the chamber. Bad chambers clean up nice & easy. If it doesn't, then I will buy the rifle from you for my bad advice. You've been my friend since the old site & I haven't ever led you wrong. Rent the reamer (use plenty of oil) & go SLOW. That old sweetheart shouldn't go out into the world bein' an orphan an all, just because of a minor repair. Don't abandon a friend just because it got sick.

By the way...the A.I. chamber will wake up that old gal. I have tons of loads to make it a flat shootin' honey out to 300yrds.

Don't you think that maybe you deserve to experiment with some straight string loads for a change? You've earned it Pard.

Pm me if you have any questions.

Adios mie amigo,

LB
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

buckeyeshooter wrote:is it possible it has already been AI altered and not marked already? :shock:
No, it's a regular 30-30.
pwl44m wrote:How long have You had it ? Hang on till the right deal comes along. If You are straightforward You wont get much.
Perry
Bout 7 or 8 years now. It's one of those things that's kinda irking me. I want to shoot it, but I can't cos of the splitting problems. So I gotta do something about it.
LeverBob wrote:Jose, Mie Amigo...improve the chamber. Bad chambers clean up nice & easy. If it doesn't, then I will buy the rifle from you for my bad advice. You've been my friend since the old site & I haven't ever led you wrong. Rent the reamer (use plenty of oil) & go SLOW. That old sweetheart shouldn't go out into the world bein' an orphan an all, just because of a minor repair. Don't abandon a friend just because it got sick.

LB,
If I ran an AI reamer into it, I seriously doubt it would fix the splitting problems. And as I've said, I have zero interest in the AI modification. If I want another set of dies and another set of specs to load from I want another caliber all together.
All that's stopping me from swapping the barrel out is the lack of a suitable receiver wrench.
I've got suggestions from others on how to build one, but being paranoid I'd like to have a real wrench instead of a home made thing.

Joe

By the way...the A.I. chamber will wake up that old gal. I have tons of loads to make it a flat shootin' honey out to 300yrds.

Don't you think that maybe you deserve to experiment with some straight string loads for a change? You've earned it Pard.

Pm me if you have any questions.

Adios mie amigo,

LB
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Suit yourself...

LB
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Can a smith set the barrel back a turn and re-cut the chamber
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

question, if its splitting casings now, isn't it beyound the AI reaming? As I understand the reguler cartridges are fireformed with practicly nill in splits.
Will one thread set back make the difference when its in the neck and shoulderthat is causing problems?
Maybe somebody didn't know what they were doing while trying to 'clean up' the chamber and wobbled the cleaner tool around?
Is the bore still good Maybe make her into a 303savage/30cal. or some other wildcat casing?
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

What's the other barrel you have for it Joe?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

K1500 wrote:Can a smith set the barrel back a turn and re-cut the chamber
I have pictures of the fired split cases on the hard drive of my other tower that's back in the shop ... again. I also might have some on photobucket but I couldn't get to them yesterday to post them. I'll try again.
I don't think just one turn back would fix it. But you got to realize that setting the barrel back means shortening the magazine tube and maybe the fore arm too. That's too much trouble.
Malamute wrote:What's the other barrel you have for it Joe?
It's a later post 64 carbine barrel. Should fit just fine ... I hope.
smokenrust wrote:question, if its splitting casings now, isn't it beyound the AI reaming? As I understand the reguler cartridges are fireformed with practicly nill in splits.
Will one thread set back make the difference when its in the neck and shoulderthat is causing problems?
Maybe somebody didn't know what they were doing while trying to 'clean up' the chamber and wobbled the cleaner tool around?
Is the bore still good Maybe make her into a 303savage/30cal. or some other wildcat casing?
smokenrust,
That is what I've been saying since I started working to find out what was wrong with the barrel. It is the shoulder and neck area, and since the AI version uses the same neck I don't think it will or would help at all.
This rifle was practically brand new both internally and externally when I got it. I haven't even broke in the action in with what few rounds I've shot through it.
I haven't shot it for accuracy because once I confirmed it was splitting cases I cleaned it and put it away. But the bore is beautiful. A shameful waste of a barrel.
What ever the problem is, it came from the factory that way.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OK, I realized I'm beating a dead horse. I have nothing new to talk about so I keep going back to the same old unfinished projects. My apologies, I'll not tread this path again after this one last post.

For pics of some of the split cases, go to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30839

For more information and another pic of this carbine read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31050&hilit=Cerrosafe+Follies

Basically I've either got to rebarrel it, sell it, or trade it. I will not be reboring it, or rechambering it to the AI.

Joe
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

sounds like your disappointment runs deep, no matter what you do every time you look at her you see something that let you down. :cry:
J Miller wrote:B: Sell it and use the money towards the later vintage 94s.
so what do you need to get out of her? :?:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

:idea: Well let's see - the horse is only dead if you leave it the way it is. Semi useless! Now on the price - it is only worth a lowball price so. What is to be done? Here is what I believe I would do and I have been surprised we haven't seen such a thing. Run a 7-30 Waters reamer in it with whatever they use to stabilize such a device in a larger chamber - it looks as though that might clean out the area with the split with just a mildly improved cartridge. Ballistics should improve somewhat. Has this been done with 30-30s and not received much publicity?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I would take some better pic's of it and put it on the classifieds as a project gun. You may be able to get a decent buck out of it as it looks very nice from what I can see now. that bugger would be off for a trip and come back a 38-55 :wink: ..........................http://35caliber.com/
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Joe, in the other thread, you mentioned you got a reeeeaaalllly good deal on it. If you don't want to deal with doing the barrel, just put a price on it and let it go. If you sell it for what the market will bear with it's bad barrel, you aren't going to be out much if any.

The condition is very good, as you said, but changing the barrel or converting to another caliber, it will always be a shooter grade gun.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Malamute wrote:Joe, in the other thread, you mentioned you got a reeeeaaalllly good deal on it. If you don't want to deal with doing the barrel, just put a price on it and let it go. If you sell it for what the market will bear with it's bad barrel, you aren't going to be out much if any.

The condition is very good, as you said, but changing the barrel or converting to another caliber, it will always be a shooter grade gun.
Malamute,
Yep, I did get it for a good price, so if I sold it for that or maybe a bit more I wouldn't take a beating. But I have no market here, and by the time you add FFL fees and shipping to it, the good sale price suddenly becomes unappealing.

To me, all guns no matter their age or condition are shooters. I do like to keep my guns as nice as possible, but I shoot them all.

If this one gets rebarreled I will treat it no different than I do now. Well, other than to shoot it more.

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe,

Would you be interested in a swap for another '50 mdl 94? I have one I bought from 86er and haven't had time to wring out... maybe throw in that extra barrel you have? It ain't as nice as yours... but swappin' barrels doesn't give me any angst.

I'm on my back up laptop, so very slow... I'll search and see if I can find the pics of it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:Joe,

Would you be interested in a swap for another '50 mdl 94? I have one I bought from 86er and haven't had time to wring out... maybe throw in that extra barrel you have? It ain't as nice as yours... but swappin' barrels doesn't give me any angst.

I'm on my back up laptop, so very slow... I'll search and see if I can find the pics of it.
Griff,
Were I to do a swap I'd like to get one a few years newer that's already been drilled for a side mount receiver sight. That way I don't have to do it myself.

I got some big errands to run tomorrow and Tuesday. After that I'm going to do one more local search for the materials to build a wrench. If that don't pan out I'll go from there.

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I understand... tho'...

It's one of those rare left handed models!!! :twisted: :P
Well... ok, I may have flipped the pic in the harddrive! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hey Griff, that would make a dandy right hand rifle too. You could refill the tube with out ever taking it from the shoulder.

It don't look that bad. I'll think on it.

Joe
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Been thinking about this problem, and I think the only sensible thing to do is take the barrel off and put a good barrel on and send the old one this way.
Then I will have a barrel that will be chucked in a lathe and check bore for concentricity to the barrel and to the old chamber, then cut new wildcat chamber straight to the bore and hopefully that would center where the firing pin hits on the primer.
I'll even pay for shipping your old barrel to me, hows that for a deal. LOL - Good Luck on your decissions, SnR
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

smokenrust wrote:Been thinking about this problem, and I think the only sensible thing to do is take the barrel off and put a good barrel on and send the old one this way.
Then I will have a barrel that will be chucked in a lathe and check bore for concentricity to the barrel and to the old chamber, then cut new wildcat chamber straight to the bore and hopefully that would center where the firing pin hits on the primer.
I'll even pay for shipping your old barrel to me, hows that for a deal. LOL - Good Luck on your decissions, SnR
smokenrust,
If I get the barrel swapped out the fellow who has supplied me with the new barrel gets the old one.
He said, IIRC, that he was gonna have it rebored to 38-55.

Joe
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Yeah, a new barrel would be a good thing, Joe. But studying your pictures and measurements there is no reason for that brass to be splitting on the first shot except for being too danged brittle a brass. From your measurements it looks like the neck is oversized, allright and you wouldn't get good case life. But cripes sakes, folks open up '06 to 35 Whelan by firing a wad over bullseye all the time without losing cases. Yours have no business splitting on you: something is wrong with your brass. All of it.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Had a 6mm that was out of round and it split new factory Federal cases. New barrel from the factory solved it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

sullkat

Post by sullkat »

Why not test the water here? put it up for sale everyone here knows the situation and see if any of us wants it as is.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Actually your gun is so clean I think you should just put a new barrel on it and have a real sweety. Maybe go 26" Octagon (with carbine mag so you don't have to buy long magazine)? That would be a charmer to me. LOL

"the fellow who has supplied me with the new barrel gets the old one."
Ah Ratz!
"he was gonna have it rebored to 38-55."
If the 30 cal. bore was good, I would have left it alone only to cut the chamber to where it cleaned up or to another standard size cartridge casing that came close, (dependant on how much cleaning up it would take).
Oh well, it looks like no wildcat in my closet yet.
I picked up couple 30-30's that were a little tuff looking with plans of inserting an AI reemer into someday and then refurbish the exterior. I haven't even shot these to see how accurate they are. LOL SnR
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

earlmck wrote:Yeah, a new barrel would be a good thing, Joe. But studying your pictures and measurements there is no reason for that brass to be splitting on the first shot except for being too danged brittle a brass. From your measurements it looks like the neck is oversized, allright and you wouldn't get good case life. But cripes sakes, folks open up '06 to 35 Whelan by firing a wad over bullseye all the time without losing cases. Yours have no business splitting on you: something is wrong with your brass. All of it.
Plus one!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

earlmck wrote:Yeah, a new barrel would be a good thing, Joe. But studying your pictures and measurements there is no reason for that brass to be splitting on the first shot except for being too danged brittle a brass. From your measurements it looks like the neck is oversized, allright and you wouldn't get good case life. But cripes sakes, folks open up '06 to 35 Whelan by firing a wad over bullseye all the time without losing cases. Yours have no business splitting on you: something is wrong with your brass. All of it.
airedaleman wrote:
Plus one!
Sorry guys I don't by it. When old hand loads split I can believe the brass got brittle and died. But not when it starts splitting factory loads.
I've had many 30-30s in the over 45 years I've been shooting them and THIS one carbine has split more cases than ALL the others put together.
It's a bad chamber, that's all there is to it.

Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I see a movie in this.

J Miller and The Chamber Of Horrors
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote:I see a movie in this.

J Miller and The Chamber Of Horrors
Only if I can have Sarah Michelle Geller as my costar.

Joe
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

J Miller wrote:Sorry guys I don't by it. When old hand loads split I can believe the brass got brittle and died. But not when it starts splitting factory loads.
I've had many 30-30s in the over 45 years I've been shooting them and THIS one carbine has split more cases than ALL the others put together.

Joe
You might by right Joe. But I'd bet against you on the strength of your pics and measurements. Tell you what. You bip down to Wally World, buy a box of whatever 30/30 is on sale, fire two magazines through the old babe. If you get one split I'll reimburse you the cost of the loads. If you don't get a split then with a clear conscience sell that puppy complete with part of a box of ammo, to a non-handloader (like that's 98% of the Illinois shooting population, isn't it?) and start shopping for a mid-50's replacement.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

earlmck wrote:
J Miller wrote:Sorry guys I don't by it. When old hand loads split I can believe the brass got brittle and died. But not when it starts splitting factory loads.

Joe
You might by right Joe. But I'd bet against you on the strength of your pics and measurements. Tell you what. You bip down to Wally World, buy a box of whatever 30/30 is on sale, fire two magazines through the old babe. If you get one split I'll reimburse you the cost of the loads. If you don't get a split then with a clear conscience sell that puppy complete with part of a box of ammo, to a non-handloader (like that's 98% of the Illinois shooting population, isn't it?) and start shopping for a mid-50's replacement.
I'll cover you, Earl.

Joe, that could be double your money...
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Since you've done a chamber cast, why not compare that to existing cartridges with a .308 bore and rechamber it to that, then sell it for a slight profit (original cost + rechamber cost= good deal to someone else) rather than taking a loss...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

earlmck, mikld,

Did you read the thread I linked to with the pics of the split cases?
There were two then 10. The two split cases were fresh R-P factory loads purchased not long before the shooting session.

As I said in an earlier post, if this gun only split hand loads I could be convinced they had become brittle and simple died.
But it splits factory ammo too.

Dead horse, we are all beating a dead horse.

Trooper: Sargent, my horse fell over and died.
Sargent: Beat him with a stick.
Trooper: I am, he still won't get up.
Sargent: Get a bigger stick and beat him some more.
Trooper: OK

Joe
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

J Miller wrote:As a few here know I have a very nice 1950 vintage Win 94 in 30-30. It's unaltered and mechanically almost new.
Pre 64 Win 94 b web.JPG
It's only problem is, it's got a bad chamber. I've fired less than a 100 rounds and it's split 28 of them. That is unacceptable even if you don't hand load.

So I was wondering ...........

I have a most of the things needed to do a barrel swap, but I'm finding myself not wanting to do it.

Should I:

A: Trade it off at a gun store that has a few later Win 94s that are already drilled and tapped for a receiver sight.

B: Sell it and use the money towards the later vintage 94s. Problem is when I tell the buyer about the chamber nobody will want it. Or they'll want to low ball me and I won't put up with that.

C: Go ahead and swap the barrel and drill and tap it for the side mount sights. All I need for that is a receiver wrench and a drill press. Maybe another $150.00 I don't really have right now.

I'm just mulling this around and thought I'd ask you guys what you thought.

Joe
And now, after two pages of what us guys thought, I wonder why this was even brought up.

I think I'm done...
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

What are you waiting for, "Tell you what. You bip down to Wally World, buy a box of whatever 30/30 is on sale, fire two magazines through the old babe. If you get one split I'll reimburse you the cost of the loads." Shoulda run down right away and bought two boxes..."I'll cover you, Earl. ...Joe, that could be double your money..." and you could have had more fun shooting that brass killer. and then fix trade or sold the gun. LOL
Think that barrel needs to see a lathe.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

airedaleman wrote:<snip>

And now, after two pages of what us guys thought, I wonder why this was even brought up.

I think I'm done...
I wondered that too. Sometimes I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Joe
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Re-reading my last post I think I came across as a wise-a** of some sort. That wasn't my intention. Here's what I'm thinking, Joe:
a) you're right about that being a bad chamber and I wouldn't be happy with the rifle that way, either
b) but I can't see it as being bad enough to be cracking those cases if the cases were of proper hardness (or rather softness)
c) so if that is really the case then all I can figure is that you just got really really unlucky with those factory loads and got some where the brass hadn't been properly annealed in the manufacture process,
d) so I figured I was safe asking you to try some nice fresh ammo in the thing.

Again I apologize for coming across like some real know-it-all: I keep finding out how little I know and how much I know wrong. So along those lines I remain ready to pay for my learning process by linking up with airdaleman to double your money if you so desire.

I have experience with grossly oversized chambers but I've never had one that was out-of-round. I see Old Savage's post where he had an out-of-round chamber cause splits. So maybe there is something about the out-of-round thing that causes weird stresses resulting in splits. I still can't picture it, so will stand by my foolish offer. Don't worry about showing mercy here, Joe: just consider that you roped in some suckers. :D
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Earl, I see your point here but having seen it and seen it corrected I can get what Joe is saying here. Here is a thought - on combustion the case expands and adheres to the sides - then it has very little give in a small area. With mine the barrel was so accurate I didn't want to give up on it but if I just neck sized the case would not go back in the chamber with out carefully matching the eccentricity of the the case to that of the chamber. The splits in mine were longitudinal and about in the middle of the length of the large part of the case and did not extend the the neck or the sharply tapered part of the case. They were about 3/4" long with new Federal Rounds - I tried the same rounds in the new barrel and no problem.

smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Old Savage, I am thinking Joe's chamber is bored off center to the barrel since his primer is getting whacked off center. being the chamber is off center, there probably is an unsymetrical cutting of it which may allow for undue stress from possible vibrations as powder is burnng. Hence split caases.
If Joe were to set centers on each end of his chamber casting and then check trueness and run out. that might tell a story too... and maybe not
Like Earlmck said "...I keep finding out how little I know..." I know less than zero but I keep trying to learn and I keep trying to put answers to questions. Maybe someday I'll get above zero.
As for you, "With mine the barrel was so accurate I didn't want to give up ", Why didn't you clean up your chamber and made a wildcat out of it? There was a perfect chance there. LOL I know it should have had a good barrel when it came. SnR
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Not a wildcatter and the 6mm Rem is one at the top of the list for me.

oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

We ran into a problem like this with a 222 Rem. It seems the previous owner got a case stuck and drilled it out. Unfortunately the drill was a tad too large and he opened up the neck. Rebarreling is a fairly simple operation and there should be a few barrels floating around this place.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

My bet says that someone tried an homeshop AI job and wallored the neck and throat out but didn't ream the shoulder far enough.

Joe going with Griff's trade deal might be your best bet , or go ahead and spin that old barrel off and put your new one on. At this point doesn't look like you have much to loose either way.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

[quote="J Miller"]earlmck, mikld,

Did you read the thread I linked to with the pics of the split cases?
There were two then 10. The two split cases were fresh R-P factory loads purchased not long before the shooting session.

As I said in an earlier post, if this gun only split hand loads I could be convinced they had become brittle and simple died.
But it splits factory ammo too.

Dead horse, we are all beating a dead horse.

Trooper: Sargent, my horse fell over and died.
Sargent: Beat him with a stick.
Trooper: I am, he still won't get up.
Sargent: Get a bigger stick and beat him some more.
Trooper: OK

Joe[/quot
Not sure you understood my post, but, this gun seems to be giving you a bunch of headaches, so jes get rid of it (I read somewhere "If thyne eye offends you, pluck it out", so if your gun bothers you, toss it!)
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Joe,
It's the brass. Over the years I have had more splits with R-P brass than any other brand. I have 7 .30-30 rifles including 2 bolt guns. Fired case o.d.'s range from .333-.335" so based on that your chamber is OK.

.30-30 in .32 Special - NO SPLIT CASES.....
Years ago I fired some factory .30-30's (W-W brand) in a friends .32 Win Special to get him some .32 Winchester cases to load and they all fire formed perfectly with no splits! Case neck OD on some cases I checked ran .345-.347"

Just sayin'.......

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I asked for answers to a poll. A, B, or C. I've got a few actual answers but many comments telling me I'm full of pelosi and this rifle can't have a bad chamber cos brass will expand all over the place and even blow out in a 32 WS chambers.
Yes brass will.
But ... and here is the point that most of you have ignored. I have owned over 15 Winchester 94s in 30-30 since the mid 1960s. I have shot them all extensively and hand loaded many hundreds of rounds of 30-30s for them. This one example has split more cases than ALL of the others combined. LET ME REPEAT THAT; THIS ONE EXAMPLE HAS SPLIT MORE CASES THAN ALL THE OTHERS COMBINED. Bad brass, no I think not.
I have another Win 94 in 30-30 that I probably could shoot up the remainder of rounds in the boxes the split cases came from; shown in the other threads, and they would not split.
Next range day we'll find out for sure.

Guys, I KNOW MY 94s, THE CHAMBER IN THIS ONE IS NOT RIGHT.

Sorry you can't see what I see, I've tried every way I know to show it, but I guess I'm not being clear enough. That's all I'm gonna say, I'm done with this thread, you guys go ahead and beat the dead horse some more. :P

Joe