OT- CAR WAX ?'s and How to deactivate Naval Jelly

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT- CAR WAX ?'s and How to deactivate Naval Jelly

Post by J Miller »

I've been parking my white Nissan under a nice big shade tree most of the summer. Much cooler and easier on the vehicle. Except for the fact this stupid tree dripped gunk all over it.
I just "SCRUBBED" the entire vehicle this afternoon. Took me two hours by hand. I used special Armorall soap for cars with clear coat paint but that didn't touch the tree gunk. Ended up having to use one of them kitchen sponges with the green scrubber on the back. Gently of course, but it got the job done.

Now, after I get done with the touch up paint and some rust repair I want to put a coat of good wax on it.
The only wax I have is KIT Carnuba wax. But the instructions say not to use it on decals and metalized plastic. My vehicle has both.
So what wax would you suggest? I used to use the Johnson Paste wax that came in the big tin with the applicator sponge. That was fairly easy to use. But I don't know about decal issue.

I also have some minor (now) rust to deal with. It's on the bottom of the passenger door right at the water drain. If I use Naval Jelly I can get rid of the rust then prime and repaint the small area. It would be practically invisible.
In a thread about rust on which forum I do not remember, someone commented you needed to use something to deactivate the Naval Jelly.
Water wouldn't do it. But I don't remember what it was, or which forum this thread was on.
Any body remember this?

Joe
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Rubbing alcohol, I think. Hey, what's that white stuff all over the ground??

PS: WD-40 would have removed the gunk.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Junior,

That "white" stuff is a chemical that the Illinois Dept of Homeland Security sprays on the ground so they can track everybody. They do it once every year to check the migration of the local inhabitants.

WD-40 huh? Why didn't you tell me this before I spent two hours scrubbing the thing. Probably ruined the paint too.

Joe
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

BTW, I've used rubbing alcohol to take the tree gunk off of my paint.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Next time get a can of Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover. Won't hurt the paint and gets gunk off. I used to use it all the time on my motorcycle. With a white fairing, road tar was quite noticeable. Don't have any idea about the naval jelly, never used the stuff.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rubbing alcohol, that might work, only I'd get drunk on the fumes. Weeeee

Turtle wax bug and tar remover, that sounds like something I should buy to keep on hand.

I'd not use the Naval Jelly either, except the part that's got the rust is a vertical surface and I don't think vinegar would stick long enough to deal with the rust.

Joe
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

My 90 year old neighbor Miss Marie taught me to take the Oak crud off our cars with bleach. Works fast.

Naval Jelly is acid. Baking soda will neutralize it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bleach .......... :oops: , now that I'd have. Boy do I feel stupid right now.

And Baking Soda I got too.

Well, I"m all set then.

Touch up paint, fix the rust spot, then wax it.

Should be good for another season.

Joe
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I've used Googone with good results. It is good for removing tape goo and the goo left by price stickers.
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

Joe
I have nothing to add except I use turtle wax every spring and fall. Tell me what did you ever do about fixing you're passenger floorboard's? I remember a post back in the springtime.
Karl
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

marlin shooter.

I created a sheet metal patch and pop riveted it in place. I used an asphalt based patching material to seal between the patch and original metal, and to seal underneath it. Then primed it with a rust stopping primer and painted it.
So far so good.

Joe
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

How do they get wax from a truttle?

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rusty,

They take 'em outa the shell, then put 'em in a juicer and squish it out of 'em.

Joe