Winchester .357, Take Down, Trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester .357, Take Down, Trapper

Post by trooper joe »

A while back I posted my love affair with .357 carbines/rifles since I carried one on patrol in the 60's as a State Trooper (the rules were looser then).

Saw one of the Miruko/Winchesters on the Winchester web site about a month ago and thought I would never see one. Earlier this month, I walked into a Michigan gun store and saw one that was just put on display that morning. Made a deal I could not walk away from, and carried it home 100 miles on my BMW motorcycle.

I swore I would never really take it apart, but later that day, the temptation overcame me and I did take it down. These Miruko made Winchesters are a work of art. Everything worked as it should. However, the next time I take it apart, if ever, I will put a lot of oil on the magazine tube to prevent any marring. I am sure this area would mare up fast by continue take downs.

I always thought the take down feature was just "neat to have" rather than anything useful now days. Maybe it would be neat on the back of my motorcycle if I have a chance to ride back to Alaska (not sure if the Canadians would let me go through British Columbia and the Yukon with this "trapper" length carbine/rife).

Did get a chance to shoot it with my 69 year old eyes. Grouped about 1" at about 30 yards with the open sights. I am happy with that. The octagon barrel adds weight to it and it shoots very good.

Just some thoughts

Troooper Joe

Trooper Joe
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester .357, Take Down, Trapper

Post by Pitchy »

Dang tootin that`s nice. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Gorgeous little rifle.

Eric
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I've got one in 44-40. It's almost too pretty to shoot.
I won't ask what it cost but, I paid $1000 for mine NIB.
The local shop has two more in 45 and 44 mag, I'm still thinking about the 45.
What model BMW bike?
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Cool! You carried it on your back for the 100 miles? I would've thought that you'd of taken it down and put it into the carriers (assuming you have the carriers on your Beemer).

I have a Miroku 1895 in 405 and the workmanship is outstanding. They really put their 'honor' into their work you can tell.

Enjoy that and thanks for posting the pics!!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

That's a nice rifle. I just got a 94 Trapper in 357 Mag for my boys and we're having fun with it. You can easily make it a 360 DW to squeeze out more power if you feel the need. Simple chamber kiss with reamer and two new guides and your done. Best of luck with it!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

williamranks wrote:I've got one in 44-40. It's almost too pretty to shoot.
I won't ask what it cost but, I paid $1000 for mine NIB.
The local shop has two more in 45 and 44 mag, I'm still thinking about the 45.
What model BMW bike?
I would be interested in the .45 if it is just like this. Let me know via a private message.

I paid more than $1,000 (actually $1,100 and a junker Beretta Tomcat). These things list for $1,550.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Cool! You carried it on your back for the 100 miles? I would've thought that you'd of taken it down and put it into the carriers (assuming you have the carriers on your Beemer).

I have a Miroku 1895 in 405 and the workmanship is outstanding. They really put their 'honor' into their work you can tell.

Enjoy that and thanks for posting the pics!!
No, it came in the original box and I strapped it on my carrier.

Joe
Trooper Joe
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

PM sent.
If you can make a deal go for it. I have enough guns now.
If I remember, it's been a week since I was in, he has a couple nice '86s too and some old military long guns.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The only "fault" :wink: I've ever found/had with my NKJ Rossi 92 .357 is that Steve doesn't do Take Down conversions.

It's something I really, really want but just cant afford/release my rifle for.

Ah well... :(
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

That is a beautiful carbine there. 8)
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

BEAUTIFUL, but I would expect no less! I have a Miruko/Winchester '86 high grade that is absolutely spectacular also.

If they make one of those in .44 mag, I just may have to bust out the checkbook and get me one..... :o :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sure would be neat if I had a local gunshop to walk into and check out ANY lever guns!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

It sure is a pretty sight :mrgreen:
Any idea on how old it is?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

UncleBuck wrote:It sure is a pretty sight :mrgreen:
Any idea on how old it is?
It is a current gun. It appears in the Winchester web page.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Rube Burrows wrote:Sure would be neat if I had a local gunshop to walk into and check out ANY lever guns!
Sure would be neat if I had a local gunshop!

Trooper Joe, that IS a beautiful rifle.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Dandy new rifle, congrats.

I own the long barrel 32-20 TD Winoku. The TD function gets used as the rifle travels in my luggage when travelling the oilpatch here for work. A touch of hi-grade grease and careful handling should assure a tight fit. I even like the tang safety that puts me in a minority of levergunners I think.

Here is a link or two,
http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jimstags/win1892/index.htm

Your rifle should be ok for transport through Canada. We can't shorten a barrel below about 18" but if it was manufactured shorter it is ok (not sure if this applies to autoloaders), go figure.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is a really nice carbine, you did well :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Canuck Bob wrote:Dandy new rifle, congrats.

I own the long barrel 32-20 TD Winoku. The TD function gets used as the rifle travels in my luggage when travelling the oilpatch here for work. A touch of hi-grade grease and careful handling should assure a tight fit. I even like the tang safety that puts me in a minority of levergunners I think.

Here is a link or two,
http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jimstags/win1892/index.htm

Your rifle should be ok for transport through Canada. We can't shorten a barrel below about 18" but if it was manufactured shorter it is ok (not sure if this applies to autoloaders), go figure.
Thanks for the reply,
I also can live with the tang safety. My first Miruko/Winchester was an octagon barrel 32-20 (non-take down) that I used for squirrel hunting in Michigan. Beautiful gun but not so nice a trigger pull. I wasn't going to buy any more tang safety Winchesters until 2 years ago I found a .44 Mag Winchester/Miruko with a very nice trigger pull.

This take-down .357 has a beautiful trigger pull. 2 days ago I picked up a .45 Colt 24" Wlinchester/Miruko with also a fantastic trigger pull.

Tell me about the 32-20 and what you use it for. I love that round and have actually used it for deer hunting (very carefully however).

The .357 carbine I carried on patrol in the 60's was a converted SRC carbine in 32-20. Can not imagine anyone doing that now days.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I use it as a 22 mag style woods loafing rifle. I load factory lead now and will be loading cast very soon. I have some XTPs for playing around with stouter loads but really like the lead 1400 fps no gas check range.

The rifle will get a steel Lyman 66A receiver sight that I found recently. I travel the oilpatch up here and spend a lot of time on Crown Land. This rifle rides in my luggage for security. Nothing says steal me like a gun case in rural Canada.

Its the long barrel and it is too muzzle heavy for my taste. Maybe next year I'll shorten it to 20". The octagon with the little hole is pretty heavy.

A 32-20 SRC service rifle. I like that. In todays AK47 world it might not be as sensible but I sure wouldn't want a hot load 100 gr XTP ripping me a new one! A guy can sure lay down some serious fire with a tube mag full of those little 32s. Mine holds 10 plus 1. My favorite service rifle is the old Canadian FN-FAL I trained on and carried as an artillery man. I think both rifles come out about the same for accurate aimed fire at a 100 meters. For CQ there is something reassuring about those squeeze bang autoloaders or a 12 gauge.

Edit: Don't tell anyone but I might ambush a fat doe next year myself. A 115 hard lead gas check in the head or heart seems like a doable plan.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Beautiful set, Does it fit in the saddle bags on the BMW? The reason I bought a CO-Pilot.
It is not the critic who counts
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Canuck Bob wrote:I use it as a 22 mag style woods loafing rifle. I load factory lead now and will be loading cast very soon. I have some XTPs for playing around with stouter loads but really like the lead 1400 fps no gas check range.

The rifle will get a steel Lyman 66A receiver sight that I found recently. I travel the oilpatch up here and spend a lot of time on Crown Land. This rifle rides in my luggage for security. Nothing says steal me like a gun case in rural Canada.

Its the long barrel and it is too muzzle heavy for my taste. Maybe next year I'll shorten it to 20". The octagon with the little hole is pretty heavy.

A 32-20 SRC service rifle. I like that. In todays AK47 world it might not be as sensible but I sure wouldn't want a hot load 100 gr XTP ripping me a new one! A guy can sure lay down some serious fire with a tube mag full of those little 32s. Mine holds 10 plus 1. My favorite service rifle is the old Canadian FN-FAL I trained on and carried as an artillery man. I think both rifles come out about the same for accurate aimed fire at a 100 meters. For CQ there is something reassuring about those squeeze bang autoloaders or a 12 gauge.

Edit: Don't tell anyone but I might ambush a fat doe next year myself. A 115 hard lead gas check in the head or heart seems like a doable plan.
Paladin and Canuck Bob

I need to get a few nicks (ug!) on this before I regularly take it down and put it in the saddle bag of my BMW.

Bob, I was using a converted 32-20 SRC on patrol. It had been converted from 32-20 to .357. It fed 38 ammo as well as any type of .357. I carrried 158 grn Keith style cast bullet handloads in it. The beauty of the gun was that it would also feed any of the 38 special service ammo we carried in our wheel guns.

That was in 1966 to 1968 before Cowboy Action shooting had started. I used to write letters to both Marlin and Winchester requesting that they commercially make such a gun for law enforcement. Never got replies.

Recently, a swat team commander of a major university police told me they were looking at .357 lever guns for patrol car long guns. They were more "politically correct" on a college campus in contrast to the "black" guns. Go figure!

So I guess all of us lever gun guys are politically correct if it really matters to anyone.
Trooper Joe
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice and handy looking short rifle. I read an article not that long ago touting the attributes of the leveraction on patrol. There's also a PD or SO that issues leverguns for patrol. Don't remember where. Personally, I'll take my AR for patrol duties, but I wouldn't feel I couldn't do the job with the levergun if need be.
Old Law Dawg
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

The only "fault" :wink: I've ever found/had with my NKJ Rossi 92 .357 is that Steve doesn't do Take Down conversions.
I made a Stainless TD out of a Rossi 1892 just so I could carry it on my motorcycle...........

Read about it on my web site:

http://rvbprecision.com/

Lots of motorcycle stuff (BMW) in the table of contents)

(I was president of the Yankee Beemers Motorcycle Club for the past two years............I like bikes!)
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

The 357 M92's are sweet, and trappers are real handy. You have a great looking take down, congrats.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

trooper joe wrote:Paladin and Canuck Bob

I need to get a few nicks (ug!) on this before I regularly take it down and put it in the saddle bag of my BMW.

Bob, I was using a converted 32-20 SRC on patrol. It had been converted from 32-20 to .357. It fed 38 ammo as well as any type of .357. I carrried 158 grn Keith style cast bullet handloads in it. The beauty of the gun was that it would also feed any of the 38 special service ammo we carried in our wheel guns.

That was in 1966 to 1968 before Cowboy Action shooting had started. I used to write letters to both Marlin and Winchester requesting that they commercially make such a gun for law enforcement. Never got replies.

Recently, a swat team commander of a major university police told me they were looking at .357 lever guns for patrol car long guns. They were more "politically correct" on a college campus in contrast to the "black" guns. Go figure!

So I guess all of us lever gun guys are politically correct if it really matters to anyone.
I often wish mine was a 357. I've finally found ammo and components but it took some searching. We have almost no 32-20 revolvers up here and darn few rifles so supplies are tricky to source. Coulda filled a bushell basket with 357 stuff at my first stop!

I had a neighbor once call my 444 an "old fashion cowboy gun" maybe there is something to the PC idea!

Mine is too pretty to use almost. But I took it out on some very old clearcuts and bush trails in the Rockies last. It was a very memorable day and I even killed a few of the deadly Alberta Mountain Stump Knots! They are plentiful but you gotta skin them with an ax and boil them for a week just to make a terrible soup.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Canuck Bob

..................."
I often wish mine was a 357. I've finally found ammo and components but it took some searching. We have almost no 32-20 revolvers up here and darn few rifles so supplies are tricky to source. Coulda filled a bushell basket with 357 stuff at my first stop!

I had a neighbor once call my 444 an "old fashion cowboy gun" maybe there is something to the PC idea!

Mine is too pretty to use almost. But I took it out on some very old clearcuts and bush trails in the Rockies last. It was a very memorable day and I even killed a few of the deadly Alberta Mountain Stump Knots! They are plentiful but you gotta skin them with an ax and boil them for a week just to make a terrible soup.................."

I didn't think anyone owned handguns in Canada. When I worked surveillance in Detroit area, we used to let OPP and RCMP Officers carry their duty guns in Michigan but the reverse was not allowed.

You could always convert your 32-20 to a .357 such as my first one was in the 60s. I don't hesitate to use a .357 rifle on Michigan deer. I use Buffalo Bore 180 grn hard cast rounds. They come real close to the ballistics of a 30-30 and do a great job on deer. If I am deer hunting and see a noisy squirrel, I slip a .38 Special Round in the rifle and enjoy squirrel soup for supper at deer camp.

Just some thoughts,

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Great lookin' rifle and I like that knife too.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Trooper Joe,
We can own handguns but the rules for using are so constrictive and there are so many hoops I gave up. Thats how gun control gets a guy without actually outlawing guns. We have two classes, restricted and prohibited. I think anything with less than a 4" barrel is prohib and that is a very hard licence to get. To use any handgun the carry is highly restricted for range practice only. It is illegal to shoot a tin can behind your own barn!

I ended my high school in Windsor and used to ride the tunnel bus to Detroit as a kid to watch NBA and NFL games. That was a tough town to maintain the law in.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Canuck Bob wrote:Trooper Joe,
We can own handguns but the rules for using are so constrictive and there are so many hoops I gave up. Thats how gun control gets a guy without actually outlawing guns. We have two classes, restricted and prohibited. I think anything with less than a 4" barrel is prohib and that is a very hard licence to get. To use any handgun the carry is highly restricted for range practice only. It is illegal to shoot a tin can behind your own barn!

I ended my high school in Windsor and used to ride the tunnel bus to Detroit as a kid to watch NBA and NFL games. That was a tough town to maintain the law in.
Canjuk Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I was actually wondering if I could bring into Canada my pistol caliber carbines (ie., 44 Mag, 357 Mag, etc). I guess we can but of course no actuall handguns. Would that be correct?
Thanks again,

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Joe, You can bring in rifles for sporting uses but there is some paperwork. I'll check it out and post for everyone. There's probably quite a few guys who have hunted up here and know the real skinny.

American hunters are welcome here and represent some big business.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

trooper joe wrote:
Canuck Bob wrote:...

Thanks for the reply. I was actually wondering if I could bring into Canada my pistol caliber carbines (ie., 44 Mag, 357 Mag, etc). I guess we can but of course no actuall handguns. Would that be correct?
Thanks again,

Trooper Joe
Heck, there are guns you can own in the Great White North that you "can't" own here.

12ga hoglegs come to mind. :twisted:

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Normac
Levergunner

Post by Normac »

Trooper Joe , Can I join your club? :D :D :D :D

I just got mine after a wait of 10 months and it now has the honour of being the most expensive gun in the house but it was worth it. Action is smoooooth as silk and it shoots like a dream. I have just ordered a Skinner peep to replace the rear buckhorn, I find I shoot better with a peep. I will post some pics as soon as that is done
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Normac wrote:Trooper Joe , Can I join your club? :D :D :D :D

I just got mine after a wait of 10 months and it now has the honour of being the most expensive gun in the house but it was worth it. Action is smoooooth as silk and it shoots like a dream. I have just ordered a Skinner peep to replace the rear buckhorn, I find I shoot better with a peep. I will post some pics as soon as that is done
I use the Ghost Ring sight set up on my Marlin .357. It really works great.

Trooper Joe

Trooper Joe
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Normac

Thanks for the heads up on the Skinner sights. It has been several years since I checked on Skinner sights and I see the company has changed hands with a lot of neat new products.

http://www.skinnersights.com/index.html

I assume you will be using the barrel mount sight system on your take down rifle. Let me know how that works and I may try it on my Winchester/Miruko trapper rifle.

I like the Skinner offerings much better than my Ashley set up but at the time, the Ashley was the way to go. Will be using the Ashley equipped Marlin instead of my Winchester/Miruko trapper rifle this year for deer season since the stock sights on my Winchester are very hard for me to use. (69 year old eyes and one detached, but repaired, retina).

Thanks again,

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
Normac
Levergunner

Post by Normac »

trooper joe wrote:

Normac

Thanks for the heads up on the Skinner sights. It has been several years since I checked on Skinner sights and I see the company has changed hands with a lot of neat new products.

http://www.skinnersights.com/index.html

I assume you will be using the barrel mount sight system on your take down rifle. Let me know how that works and I may try it on my Winchester/Miruko trapper rifle.

I like the Skinner offerings much better than my Ashley set up but at the time, the Ashley was the way to go. Will be using the Ashley equipped Marlin instead of my Winchester/Miruko trapper rifle this year for deer season since the stock sights on my Winchester are very hard for me to use. (69 year old eyes and one detached, but repaired, retina).

Thanks again,

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe,

I just mounted a skinner on my Henry golden boy 22lr (my 10 year old daughters really) and in brass it looks real good.
I am only 11 years behind you and due for an laser eye op in January so I hope I get to shoot better. :lol:
It is a barrel mount and I'll let you know how the Skinner performs and post some pics later this year
Stay safe

Peter