303 Savage Hornady Ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

303 Savage Hornady Ammo

Post by CBinNH »

From the "I had no idea" department, apparantly Hornady is now producing 303 Savage 150 grain ammo. $27.99 from Grafs.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... uctId/6897
A much cheaper alternative to shooting collectable older ammo & you get the brass when you are done. I've seen older brass selling for almost the same cost.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 303 Savage Hornady Ammo

Post by Rusty »

Just because I'm ignorant and have no idea, is it possible to make 303 Savage brass from anything else?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Rusty wrote:Just because I'm ignorant and have no idea, is it possible to make 303 Savage brass from anything else?
Apparently if you are really really desperate and are handy with a lathe, you can make 'em from 30-40 Krag. (I'm taking this info from "Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions" by George Nonte and not personal experience: be a cold day somewhere before I get into lathe work on brass cases.)

I picked some up a few months ago headstamped PPU, made by prvi-partizan of Serbia. Looks like nice brass but I haven't used it yet. Can't remember where I got it but it would have been Graf's or Mid-South I believe. Anyway, it seems to have started getting available again.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks, I was thinking it wasn't an easy job.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

NRA rifleman has an old add about the .303 taking walruses and elephants{old add}. I can see the G&A and shooting times editors tearing their hair out. :lol:
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Rusty wrote:Just because I'm ignorant and have no idea, is it possible to make 303 Savage brass from anything else?
I made mine using 30-40 Krag brass but used steps from an article I read from Handloader few years back. It wasn't too bad and I can vaguely remember using my dremel tool but I do know I didn't need a lathe to do the job.

Mainehunter :wink:
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

When I bought my .303 about ten years ago, the Old Gent who sold it to Me assured me that I would have to look high and low to get some brass.took a few days but I found a Guy on the internet who made it out of 30-40 brass. I bought some to have and a few years later norma did a run of it and then Jamison. Thank You for posting the link for the ammo.it is a Great price and I bet it won't be long till they are sold out.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

This post got me interested (I have an old Savage 99 without a rear sight sitting in the closet unused to date). Googling around I found where a fellow made 303s fairly easily using 220 Swift brass (he says "use Remington, not Winchester). The rim is a bit small but if it extracts OK in your rifle then the case is pretty close in size. But I think the PRVI I got from Grafs was cheaper than 220 Swift brass, and is correctly headstamped. Guess I'm going to have to resurrect the old beast yet...
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

And then when you get tired of the 303 Savage, you can use the rare brass to make the even rarer 44 Evans.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Gobblerforge wrote:And then when you get tired of the 303 Savage, you can use the rare brass to make the even rarer 44 Evans.
Gobbler
Right you are, Gobbler. :lol: That's another one I had to look up in the old book: do you have one?

And looking closer at the loaded Hornady ammunition I see they used the PRVI brass. So it must be pretty acceptable stuff. I think I'll order up a nice tang sight for the old babe and pull it out of the closet. Anybody have a 303 Savage recipe using LVR powder yet? From the advertised ballistics with the Graf's/Hornady ammo (150 grain bullet, 2300 fps) I think we should be able to better that somewhat using LVR...
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

earlmck wrote:
Gobblerforge wrote:And then when you get tired of the 303 Savage, you can use the rare brass to make the even rarer 44 Evans.
Gobbler
Right you are, Gobbler. :lol: That's another one I had to look up in the old book: do you have one?

No but a buddy of mine does. That's where I learned about the brass.
Click Click Boom