OT - ABC’s "20/20" Seeking Armed Citizen Stories

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

OT - ABC’s "20/20" Seeking Armed Citizen Stories

Post by don Tomás »

Found this on the NRA website. Looks like it might be worth a shot at getting the whole story told? Happens something like 2 million times a year, according to research by Gary Kleck and others. However, I dont’t trust the MSM to present the true story. They’ll find some way to spin it to the anti-gun side as they almost always do... or am I just being cynical???
Tom
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABC’s "20/20" Seeking "Armed Citizen" Stories

Friday, April 06, 2007

Gun ban groups often claim that private citizens rarely, if ever, use guns in self-defense. ABC News’ "20/20" is now putting that claim to the test, asking viewers to submit their own real-life "Armed Citizen" stories. ABC’s website asks:

Have you ever defended yourself from a crime in your home, in your business, or in public by using a gun? Perhaps you warded off a potential attacker by simply showing a gun?

If you’ve personally used a gun in a legitimate act of self-protection against a criminal attacker, we encourage you to tell your story to ABC News. To tell your story, go to:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3015150

and complete their web form.

And to ensure that we at NRA know how many responses ABC gets, please send us a copy of your story by e-mailing

armedcitizen@nrahq.org

You can also call NRA Public Affairs at (703) 267-1193.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm not sure this will be a good thing.

They will find the most outlandish, irresponsible (while still being "legal") "self defense" stories they can and run that... and allow "the public" to make up their own mind whether or not "they" should allow that sort of Yahooisim...

And 20/20 won't even be able to be called on it, because they will have done exactly as they said they would - publish stories of "legal" self defense with a firearm. :evil:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

From what I perceive, ABC is a very left leaning media forum. Therefore, like OI states, I too have a feeling of intrepidation and reserve as to the actual bent that ABC will broadcast.

I can foresee ABC promoting drunk'n combatants brandishing weapons haphazardly in crowded public places and stating they warded off the possibility of being mugged, when in reality they were offending the patrons. Then the "gun" being stolen sometime after the event and ending up being used in a hienous murder of a respectable member of society, or worse yet, in a school massacre.

Yep, I see the spins.
444Hal
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 444Hal »

Maybe I should send'em some back copies of "American Rifleman", dog eared to "the armed citizen" section. :)

Don't know why they don't just contact the NRA.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

John Stossel, the host, is a good guy and if he's involved it just might be a solid segment. Here's the name of one of his books:

"Give Me a Break: How I Exposed Hucksters, Cheats, and Scam Artists and Became the Scourge of the Liberal Media"

In this book he discusses why gun laws don't and can't work.

So, folks, don't be so quick to write this one off.

scott
Missouri Mule
Levergunner

I put this in the comment box.

Post by Missouri Mule »

Just check the current and back issues of the American Rifleman magazine. The page called "The Armed Citizen" in each and every issue. It includes the city and paper that it was published in.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

IF, and only IF Stossel has editorial control would it be a passibly fair show...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I agree OI! I've got a real story to tell that saved my wife and I, but I wont tell it to ABC without knowing Stossell would have such control.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'm very sure that I would not submit anything to this. I just do not trust ABC or any of the communist controlled networks. It would be very easy for them to manipulate the stories to portray the person involved as a nut case paranoid red necked bubba.

No thanks.

Joe
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

The guy running it, John Stossel, wrote a very interesting article on the subject of "gun control" . It's on this page, just scroll down a bit. http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/public/795.cfm
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

He makes good sense in the article!
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

444Hal wrote:Maybe I should send'em some back copies of "American Rifleman", dog eared to "the armed citizen" section. :)
Don't know why they don't just contact the NRA.

+1
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt