Levergun huntin'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Levergun huntin'

Post by 2X22 »

I apologize if this has been covered already this year. Been so busy hunting that I haven't been able to keep up on topics like I should :D

How many here are going to be using a lever for their hunting season this year? I realize some live where they can't use a rifle but for the rest of us, I was curious as to the percentage that basically uses levers to shoot and those who use them to hunt with also, as their primary rifle.

I've already taken an antelope in Wyoming with my Marlin CB in .38-55 and a cast bullet.

Deer season opens here at home this Saturday and I'll be packing either a Marlin CB in .44 using a 260gr cast load out behind the house in the heavy timber or when I go up high where it is much more open and alpine I'll take the .38-55.

I get to hunt elk behind the house for 2 days before heading back to Wyoming after mulies. For the elk hunting I'll be using a Marlin 444 and 265 JSP's since I am having issues with cast.

Back to Wyoming I'll be using the same Marlin CB in .38-55.

Back home in time for late buck season here and if I didn't tag up during general season I'll still be using one of the 24" Marlin CB's in .44.

Then I have a chance at meat only as I was drawn for a cow only tag up on the flanks of Mt St Helens, should I not tag a bull behind the house in those first two days of general elk season. For this I am torn between either the 444 Marlin or the .348 using 250gr Barnes. I like shooting cast in the .348 but have about 100 of the Barnes left and can't afford to buy any more of them :shock:

Then its shotgun work only until the end of January :lol: So what says you fellers? Will/have many of you be using your Levers?

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
1894c

Re: Levergun huntin'

Post by 1894c »

I only used a boltgun with a scope to kill a deer once, shot the deer at 150 yards, seemed too easy, wasn't challenging, went back to leverguns with receiver sights and never looked back. I am going deer hunting this week with a Marlin 1894c 357 mag--will limit my shots to 100 yards.

I really like your choice of leverguns--good hunting--stay safe :)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Already used my Marlin this year and got a Blue Wildebeest with it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm in a bit of a quandry this year. I have several firearms that I wish to make meet with. Next week is blackpowder season so it will be flintlock or maybe in-line just to get it bloodied. Then general season it will be .54 1863 Sharps Military Rifle (BP) or my 1886 in 45-70 or my over under Rizzini in 9.3x74R. I have three deer I can take so perhaps 3 of the 5 will make meat. The Rizzini and the 1886 will go to south africa in May for 5 animals so I will be focusing on 1863 during deer season. I will also take the sharps and the 1886 to hunt Black bear later this season. Late season deer is flintlock only. Small game will be with my 22mag little sharps (both sharps have a lever :wink: )
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I took a marlin 1895 in 45-70 and a marlin 444 with me to Maine black bear hunting, but no bear this year. I am going to be using a Marlin 1889 44-40made in 1889 and as a back I will be taking either a winchester model 1894 in 32 winchester (1908) or a Marlin 1893 in 30-30 (1898) none of the three have made meat for me,since purchase.
Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I will use a 300 sav for elk and deer and see if I can fill a wolf tag too. If I end up in the dark timber I will use a 348 or 30-30 with iron sights. danny
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I will be using a model 99F in 300 savage for deer this year. I have another Model 99c in 308 that I haven't finished finding a load it like yet, but if I have that done in time, it will probably be the back up. the 308 has a scope and the 300 a Williamd FP with a Skinner brass post front sight.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Other than my Sharps rifles, the only rifles I own are levers, except for the Ruger #1 :)
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I'd love to use my 1895 30-40 Krag for deer this season, but I drew a special tag and I have only next weekend left of the 2 week window to fill my tag. The deer have been out, unfortunately, only during the very early morning and late evening hours when I can't see anything through my peep sights. Only my little 243 Ruger with a 2x scope is gathering enough light to make out the critters.

Come pig hunting this winter, though, the Krag is a' comin' out.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rjohns94 wrote:I'm in a bit of a quandry this year. I have several firearms that I wish to make meet with. Next week is blackpowder season so it will be flintlock or maybe in-line just to get it bloodied. Then general season it will be .54 1863 Sharps Military Rifle (BP) or my 1886 in 45-70 or my over under Rizzini in 9.3x74R. I have three deer I can take so perhaps 3 of the 5 will make meat. The Rizzini and the 1886 will go to south africa in May for 5 animals so I will be focusing on 1863 during deer season. I will also take the sharps and the 1886 to hunt Black bear later this season. Late season deer is flintlock only. Small game will be with my 22mag little sharps (both sharps have a lever :wink: )
Just to make it easy on you , send your Rizzinni down to Virginia and I'll take care of that one for you :wink:

I talked on the phone with one of the Fausti guys here in Virginia last friday and as always their double rifle came up in the conversation .

Is the action on yours large enough to handle an extra set of 16 gauge barrels ?

I thought it would be kinda cool if I ever get one to have it made with 444 barrels and then get an extra set of 7x65R as well as 16 or 28 gauge shotgun barrels .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have 14 or 15 Marlin's in 444 set up with cast bullets that have not been blooded yet as well as my old Marlin 1895 in 45-70 . They are all out ready for this year as are 10 Ruger #1's and my grandfathers old Ruger 44R Carbine . Not to mention his old W.C.Scott SxS 10 gauge . I have a Remington Model 7 in 260 REM and a Mannlicher Schoenauer in 308 sitting and waiting .

The 10 gauge , the 44 MAG , the 260 and the 308 as well as one of the #1's have been blooded already but they are ones I kinda like to use from time to time .

I suppose I should pull my Savage 220 20 gauge and 10ML-II 50 cal out . The 220 is no bif deal but ML season does come in a couple weeks so I suppose I outta check the scope on the 10ML-II :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

i have a few levers & i shoot them all
in may i was giving a 375BB from my Dad, i took a antelope with it last sunday, also my Uncle gave a 88 Win. it was made in 65 & shot paper
only, so im taking it for a whitetail only hunt in Nov here in wyo.
the season runs the whole month
so it will hit the rut should be a blast

ollogger
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

My go to gun for about 20yrs has been a Browning BLR in .308 with a 2 x 7 Leupold, that's my choice when I don't want to mess arround and I just want to get something killed. It's the best all arround rifle I have ever used.

Other times when I am more settled and just want to enjoy the hunt, I will use any one of several choices. Sometimes I like to hunt with one of my pre-64 model 94 Winchesters, but I have others to choose from also, like my Browning 86 carbine, or 95 rifle, or my 71 in .348, or my Browning 92 in 44 mag.

And once in a while I will use my Winchester mod 70 bolt action in 25-06. Another gun that I have used some years, but has found it way to the back of my safe for a while, is a Remington 700 in 350 Rem Mag.

But mostly it's the BLR, day in and day out, because it's capable of making the shot, under about any condition from a running shot at close range to a long shot out past fort Mudge as Jeff Cooper would say.
NRA Life Member, Patron
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Finished up my elk hunt in Wyoming last week. I got a niced fat calf this year. I used my Marlin XLR 45-70. Three elk in three years; a cow, bull and calf. I did just get a Tikka T3 lite 30-06 that is scoped. I switch them out once in a while. The Tikka is much lighter for an all day pack. I'm glad I saw elk when carrying the 45-70. Also for antelope, I use the 'o6 for the longer range.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My boys are using a Rossi 357 lever with a short stock for deer hunting. They're pretty good on the lifesized deer target out at 50 yds. Been in the woods 3X but nothing to show for it ... yet.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Flintlock longrifle starting this Saturday for a week.
Then for the regular deer season I will rotate between:
Savage model 99C .308
Win. model 70 .243
Win. model 94 .30 wcf
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I did all of last year and plan to this year too.

For years I had gotten away from using them. I was packing high dollar bolt guns or others in the woods fitted with high dollar scopes and other gear.......then I realized one day that I had taken some of the fun out of hunting. Last year I took my 94 and 92 hunting all year long. Just me and my son....and our rifles. No extra gear or anything. It was fun. We had a great time and even killed a nice 9pt with my 92 in .357mag.

I will take the same route this year.....just like I did when I was younger.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Almost all I use is my 30-30 in my avatar. Every once in a while I will break out my 243 bolt gun. I hunt in the woods so a low magnification scope and a 30-30 makes a lot of sense.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

444 ss with Williams FP and Puma in 44 mag will be going to Ga with me this year. #3 in 45/70 and #1 in 30.06 might go up later in the year. T/C Hawkin is what I will be using for bp hunting.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My leverguns are my hunting guns for 90% of the hunting I do.

Took a couple of medium sized hogs with a .30-30 a few weeks back. Shot a beauty of a cow elk last week. All of those were with different Model 94s.

Thinking about squirrel hunting here in the next few days. Probably tote a 10/22 for that.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I think that this year, I'll devote time and wherewithal to drift boating for salmon/steelhead, but I hunt with an 1895GS, a 336 30WCF, an 1894 .44mag, a .444, and have a 88 in .284 I need to get a scope mounted on and ready to go. Also, an 1886EL, and a 1895 in 405 that are both un-hunted. Any one of those with the right ammo would suffice for anything in CONUS. Dang, I might have to get a elk tag after all.. :P :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Will be taking two to the camp with me this year, a Marlin in 444 and a Marlin 1895G, checked out both this week with the deer loads and they were both within an inch at 50 yards. (that is about as far as I can see in the bush we hunt in) :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I will be using my 86 in 40-82 again this year. I plan on taking some time off in the regular season to spend a few more days afield.

I haven't used anything but levers since about 1979 when I bought my BLR in 308.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I'm planning on bringing or should I say hopefully to bring my custom Marlin 336 in 356 rimless. I'm still waiting to get it from Nonneman :roll: it should be here any day and for back up will be my Browning 1895 in 30-06.

Mainehunter :wink:
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

I'm thinking my pre 81 BLR .358 and 225 grain cast loads. It's just so dad blame handy and pleasing to carry.
JDL
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

1895gs for the last couple of years almost exclusively
----- Doug
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Took the 1886 lwt 33wcf last weekend for mule deer in the Mojave Natl Preserve. Didn't get a shot, but it was a lot easier to carry than my scoped rifles. Comforting too with all of the cat tracks I saw.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I use a hoyt bow, Knight in-line muzzle loader, winchester bolt and levers......marlins too!
and smith and wesson wheel guns....
Sighted the guns in today...all shot very well...nice tight groups at 50...

ticked off a couple of old fanny burbs shooting custom 22s, with my muzzle loader.....
not only was it loud.....shook the bench a bit....and they did not care for the smoke either...
5 shots....1 inch group...and i was done...

I have been bow hunting 5 time so far and have seen absolutely zero while in my stand...
tracks are everywhere ...pigs, deer and turkey....and yotes too...
too hot i guess...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I'm sure glad to see so many hunting with Leverguns.

I'm heading out first thing in the morning with a 24" Marlin Cowboy in .44 mag using a 260gr cast at 1780fps. :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson