Chico, CA gun show and etc.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Chico, CA gun show and etc.

Post by Mike D. »

Well, y'all, I drove up to Chico this morning only to discover that today was setup day and there were maybe 4 people in the building. One table being set up with overpriced boxes of vintage ammo so we walked. I then drove down to Huntington's in Oroville and got another case of severe sticker shock. Used guns priced 3-4 times their actual value and the counter person had the temerity to attempt to justify the ridiculous tariffs. My response to him nearly caused apoplexy so I am sure that he though that I was the dummy. Since when is a "refinished", and I use the term very loosely, 1886 .45-70 worth 8Gs? All other common levers were priced to the stratosphere, too. That store is off of my go-to list, for darned sure. :shock: :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Chico, CA gun show and etc.

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

I don't really know what those folks are smoking or snorting, but they are not sober that's for sure.

I just got home from the LGS buying a bag of Winchester 30-30 bullets and the only rifle I priced was a Taurus copy of the Colt Lightning chambered for .45 Colt. They it marked at $500 and something. I didn't think that was "too" bad, but it didn't have that "buy me" aura that some do.

I sometimes think those people who price things are hoping for one sale so they can go by more psychotropics to snort.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

So am I to assume Mike U didn't get Ur 06 dies. I have a brand new set. am I also to assume I won't see U tomorrow.
So was the salesman a young kid, a bald headed Guy or a big Guy that really doesn't know Guns.
Was that 86 on the merry go round rack, they have had it a long time. Most of those Guns r consignment guns. It's cheap insurance.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Mike,

Does this mean you won't be at the Chico Gun Show Saturday? :( I was hoping to finally meet you in person! :D

I know what you mean about Huntington's gun prices, but i still like to stop by when I'm down that way. Sometimes they have a bargain table of small items with fair prices, and I never tire of looking through their little museum in the back. Since lookin' is still free there, guess I'll go look tomorrow. :wink:

Tim aka SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Hillbillygunsmith
Levergunner

Post by Hillbillygunsmith »

Mike;

I have found that Huntington's is one of the most expensive places to purchase firearms in Butte County and the surrounding counties. Their used guns are marked up to the max and they normally sell new guns at the MSRP. Most other dealers sell 50-100 dollars below MSRP on new gun sales.
I purchased my last gun there last year and after finding out I could have ordered it about $ 100-150.00 cheaper elsewhere at several places, I no longer shop there for firearms. :shock:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Mike,
I remember a little gun shop, in Auburn, on Hwy 49 (Sierra GS??) and one in Newcastle. Both of these places priced their used "junk", as if it were 98%. I never quite understood why prices were that high, in the foothills.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

pwl44m wrote:So am I to assume Mike U didn't get Ur 06 dies. I have a brand new set. am I also to assume I won't see U tomorrow.
So was the salesman a young kid, a bald headed Guy or a big Guy that really doesn't know Guns.
Was that 86 on the merry go round rack, they have had it a long time. Most of those Guns r consignment guns. It's cheap insurance.
Yes, I got the parts to repair my die for 6 bucks, wholesale. Everything in that store is TOP dollar, no friendly deals there.
I can buy through Midway or Brownells lots cheaper, including the shipping.

Yes, the '86 was on the MGR, along with some severely overpriced 94's, a Marlin '93 and a few odds and ends. None were worth half of what they were ticketed. Salesmen were an old fanny burp and a youngish one with a mustache, but I didn't much key on their appearance.
I was sorry about the Chico thing, we probably should have gone in the afternoon, but didn't want to deal with traffic on the go back.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

jdad wrote:Mike,
I remember a little gun shop, in Auburn, on Hwy 49 (Sierra GS??) and one in Newcastle. Both of these places priced their used "junk", as if it were 98%. I never quite understood why prices were that high, in the foothills.
Oh yeah, I have had rather heated discussions with the a**holes at the Newcastle place. Talk about know nothing "know it alls". They have their same high dollar crappers at every Sacramento show for several years and nothing moves. you'd think that they'd get a bloody clue. Hail, I've been collecting that junk since before they were even born. Where do they get their information? Probably that worthless Flayderman's junk book.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

I blame the internet - that wonderful tool that allows me to be enriched by the company of you folks, who all live a long way away from me.

Fat lot o' good that does you! :lol: :lol:

I worked with a guy who was into English doubles - hunts with a matched pair of Churchills (he and his wife). He told me one day that the internet was ruining his side hobby of collecting long out of print books by famous hunters and gunners at garage sale prices because now, with the internet, everyone knew what everything was worth.

That was over ten years ago. Now, I think the common tactic is to jack the price out of sight because for every thousand or so well-informed potential customers you offend, you're going to snag at least one idiot - "pay dirt." I may be way off on the well-informed to idiot ratio but I am being conservative to be kind.................. to the idiots.

I was just thinking about that today, specifically regarding the quality of some things. There's enough idiots out there to keep people in business whether they sell to YOU or not, so they don't care.

I was serious about the "enrichment" comment by the way.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

J Miller wrote:Mike,

I don't really know what those folks are smoking or snorting, but they are not sober that's for sure.

I just got home from the LGS buying a bag of Winchester 30-30 bullets and the only rifle I priced was a Taurus copy of the Colt Lightning chambered for .45 Colt. They it marked at $500 and something. I didn't think that was "too" bad, but it didn't have that "buy me" aura that some do.

I sometimes think those people who price things are hoping for one sale so they can go by more psychotropics to snort.

Joe
Blame on line gun auctions. Idiots over pay for something, and that becomes the new standard "price". Gun shops have learned to take advantage of these over inflated prices. The shops I deal with know, that I know, what things are worth, and usually dicker.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

All in All not a bad day. Didn't sell a gun one but sold about $300 in small stuff and powder. Even sold some AR stuff to an AR dealer so My prices must have been better than His :o . I bought a gun but don't know why - a Savage bolt in the mach 2 / 17 cal. I guess beings I have a 17 HMR ,it has a little brother now. Still have My Marlin Chester but I'm not sad. Tomorrow is a brand new Day.
Did get to meet Shasta,right nice Feller He is. I guess Mike burned too much gas yesterday so He didn't show up. Either that or the excitement from Yesterday was too much. If He had been there today it would have been a repeat of His small taste of inflation yesterday. lol
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

One R/T to Chico in my 4X4 Silverado is 'nuff for one weekend. Not so bad on fuel, though, only burned 8 gallons. I can't understand why, but gas prices have risen another 8 cents this week.
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

Mike D. wrote: I can't understand why, but gas prices have risen another 8 cents this week.
Because they can!

:mrgreen:
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I got to the Chico Gun Show Saturday at opening time. No long line and we were quickly admitted and had the rifles we brought checked in and zip-tied for safety. The tables were crowded very close together with isles so narrow you could not pass another person without turning sideways. Good thing the Fire Marshall didn't see that, he would have shut 'em down for sure.
I immediately spotted a Marlin Mountie on a table for just $285, but the tag had "SOLD" written on it. Hmmm, well it disappeared a few minutes later. Lots of "evil black rifles" around, but they don't interest me so were quickly passed by. Plenty of old junker type rifles and shotguns, again nothing of interest. I was disappointed to see so many flea market type vendors, with fishing poles, chainsaws, milk bottles, and heck one guy was even hawking fresh eggs!! And of course there was the obligatory jerky vendor there.
Saw a cool H&R repo Officer's Model Trapdoor for $800, and a really nice Winchester Model 64 with an old but well-done reblue for $850. Most everything was priced high, but then I guess it's easier to come down in price than it is to go up! The February gun show in Chico is obviously put on by a different promoter, as it is much better organizied and without all the flea market stuff.

The best part of the show for me was meeting Perry and we enjoyed a brief visit. I didn't have any trouble at all finding him, I just kept an eye out for a Winchester levergun with a fat Marlin-style forend, and sure enough there he was!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Home from the Chico Gun Show, done extremely well today. Got rid of all but 3 partial cans of Powder, some Holsters, little bit of ammo,some AR stuff and 5 Guns. They were all over 50 years old so no transfer, just give it to them.
Again Happy to meet Shasta and dissapointed about not getting to meet Mike, maybe next Show - Yuba City in November.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I would very much like to meet y'all some day, and that'll prob'ly happen, God willing. Today we did the usual farmer's market, selling pears and apples. I spoke with a gentleman at a Cabela's store in CO, and he is putting an 1886 on 5 day hold for me. I'm still on the fence about the gun, but if he accepts my offer I'll probably go ahead with it. Health situation be darned, life goes on. :)
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thats a good positive attitude Mike. Hope the deal goes through. Now will He send it per Your C&R ?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

pwl44m wrote:Thats a good positive attitude Mike. Hope the deal goes through. Now will He send it per Your C&R ?
Affirmative, Perry. All that you need to purchase long guns is a C&R ticket, nothing else. I have purchased two long guns from Cabela's in the past year, and neither at their asking price. Most of the gun folks are wanting to move the guns, much unlike Huntingtons.